EVERYONE MUST NOW STAY AT HOME

Keithl

For the majority of the population the requirements are now clear and with enforcement achievable.

What’s now needed are instructions for those on the periphery eg someone who ‘escaped’ to their holiday home – should they stay or return? ; someone off in their motorhome, should they stay where they are or should they return to their primary domicile?

In the latter case I suspect it will be down to the local police’s discretion unless gov.uk directs otherwise.

But still no compulsory testing for returning Brits, most of whom have been in Spain for long periods some of which will almost certainly be carriers.

Brilliant. *-)

And despite FCO advising all British travellers to return back to UK, this couple are carrying on.

BruceM - 2020-03-23 9:31 PM

someone off in their motorhome, should they stay where they are or should they return to their primary domicile?

Good question.

I think everyone's situation is different.

Some may be better isolated in their motorhome than they would be in their 'primary residence' - or their only residence may be their motorhome.

I did a trip from Essex, to Mitcham Surrey,then Dover and back to Essex today around nearly 300 miles for work. I saw just one caravan and a total of 3 No MH's two of which where inbound north up the M20 so I guess returners from the eu? Things are quietening down!

Loads of trucks from the EU on the A2 what happens if the drivers get symptoms then-carry on as far as possible? They will want to empty their loads as sitting in a layby on the A2 for 7 days could be a risk depending on what they are carrying?

My query, at this difficult time, is this. Usually at this time of year we use our motorhome frequently. However this has to cease. To keep the engine in good running condition and preventing tyres potentially developing "flat spots" I would intend taking the vehicle out for a run of say 20 to 30 miles. Every 10 to 14 days. Just a run. from home and back again. Not stopping anywhere or getting out of vehicle till home again. Seeking forum members opinions on my proposal? Still self isolating I think?

What’s now needed are instructions for those on the periphery eg someone who ‘escaped’ to their holiday home –

Well they've already said

The Government later issued updated guidance on essential travel, saying it did not include visits to “second homes, camp sites, caravan parks or similar, whether for isolation purposes or holidays”.

dick GCT - 2020-03-23 10:45 PM

My query, at this difficult time, is this. Usually at this time of year we use our motorhome frequently. However this has to cease. To keep the engine in good running condition and preventing tyres potentially developing "flat spots" I would intend taking the vehicle out for a run of say 20 to 30 miles. Every 10 to 14 days. Just a run. from home and back again. Not stopping anywhere or getting out of vehicle till home again. Seeking forum members opinions on my proposal? Still self isolating I think?

Self isolating or not, you and everyone else have just been told that we can only leave our homes for four specific purposes, and what you propose isn't one of them. I don't know how much clearer that can be or why some peoe either can't understand or want to bend the rules.

If you ignore this we are on course for a bigger disaster than Italy. The Peak District may be a few days to a week behind Hertfordshire, but if nothing changes you have a tsunami coming.

A week or so ago on this forum, someone asked if any forum member knew anyone who had Covid-19. I didn't at the time, but in the last three days in my village of about 6000 people three confirmed victims have died and there are numerous people with symptoms, including a co-worker of my youngest son who lives in an adjoining room to him in the same public house.

There seem to be a disproportionate number of young people going down with this, some quite seriously, but they have all been congregating in pubs and open spaces as if nothing was going on and it looks like the chickens are now coming home to roost.

My advice - stay indoors unless you absolutely have to go out. Avoid any contact with anyone outside of your household and stay safe. And hope it's not too late, as the seeds of what is happening here were sown weeks ago.

silverback - 2020-03-24 12:08 AM

so the full timers just stay at the side of the road then? just asking for a friend

according to the 4 rules!

suppose they can empty the poo down the drain and catch rainwater from the scuttle on there van

just saying

Jonathan

I would have thought most full timers will have sorted something out by now. Well at least I would hope they would have. Im pretty sure most of the seasoned ones will have places they can go, a tucked away CL or CS perhaps or maybe a small farm site. I know they are not supposed to be open but these seem the best choices to me as at best your only going to get a hand full of vans on what are generally large fields. Its either that or they are forced out of the motorhomes and into rented accommodation. Quite frankly I would have sought the latter weeks ago.

so the full timers just stay at the side of the road then? just asking for a friend

suppose they can empty the poo down the drain and catch rainwater from the scuttle on there van

just saying

Jonathan

This is a serious subject

In the absence of any better ideas I would suggest bagging and binning the same as dog poo, and I use my hat as a glove on water taps, pump handles, and pay by catd - contactless if possible.

We all know that daft people larking about in groups spreads the virus.

Campsites could spread the virus too.

But what of those self isolating in a motorHOME and wildcamping including fulltimers.

They are not all irresponsible idiots.

Depending on circumstances that could be safer than living in a flat,

NIMBYs will moan about them, but then they always have, since long before this virus was even heard of.

Even when we are being more careful than thy are, and there is no evidence of us spreading the virus, they will still accuse us of it because its another stick to beat us with.

You can't call it essential travel and you do take the risk of breaking down, so you are infringing the PM's instruction. I have the same problem. I may run the engine for half an hour (long enough to warm up properly) and move it back a forth a few feet but I think that's it for the forseeable.

Barryd999 - 2020-03-24 6:37 AM

just saying

Jonathan

I would have thought most full timers will have sorted something out by now. Well at least I would hope they would have. Im pretty sure most of the seasoned ones will have places they can go, a tucked away CL or CS perhaps or maybe a small farm site. I know they are not supposed to be open but these seem the best choices to me as at best your only going to get a hand full of vans on what are generally large fields. Its either that or they are forced out of the motorhomes and into rented accommodation. Quite frankly I would have sought the latter weeks ago.

According to the most recent Government Guidance issued yesterday:

Caravan parks/sites for commercial uses

Where people live permanently in caravan parks or are staying in caravan parks as interim abodes where their primary residence is not available, they may continue to do so.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/874732/230320_-_Revised_guidance_note_-_finalVF.pdf

Good morning,

I get your point , and its very reasonable but there will be people that will use the opportunity for more . Anyway its now illegal unless as someone pointed out its small enough to go to the supermarket once a week

slowdriver - 2020-03-24 9:17 AM

Caravan parks/sites for commercial uses: Where people live permanently in caravan parks or are staying in caravan parks as interim abodes where their primary residence is not available, they may continue to do so.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/874732/230320_-_ Revised_guidance_note_-_finalVF.pdf

So it boils down to the decision of the individual site or CL owner whether to allow units such as full timers to turn up or stay on. But that doesn't allow a full timer to keep moving on; once they've taken up 'temporary residence' on a camping location they have to stay there?

StuartO - 2020-03-24 7:16 AM

You can't call it essential travel and you do take the risk of breaking down, so you are infringing the PM's instruction. I have the same problem. I may run the engine for half an hour (long enough to warm up properly) and move it back a forth a few feet but I think that's it for the forseeable.

We have to use a vehicle to do our essential shopping as we live in a rural area without public transport so I guess it makes no difference which vehicle I take so the van could get an occasional 10 mile run out. I would feel very self-conscious if I do choose to use it as shopping transport though and might have to put a big sticker on the back saying 'local resident going shopping' or some such like.

I appreciate your issue. I would normally take the van for a run once a week for similar reasons to yourself.

Firstly, determine whether you're self isolating (advisable for the medically vulnerable) or social distancing (now a legally enforceable requirement)? We are social distancing and have been for over a week.

Practically, if you go for a run in your van without stopping for fuel/breaking down etc then you will maintain both self isolation and social distancing. However, although people may still be traveling to work, going shopping for food, exercising, your van run whilst harmless would not fit in to the ‘essential journeys only’ category. You’d probably get away with it so it’s a matter I think of personal conscience.

Personally, I will still move my van but I shall just move it on the drive to change the pressure spots on the tyres and wheel bearings.

On a more anecdotal note. I know someone who teaches in a university in Beijing and temporarily returned as a precaution to the UK just before the full restrictions were enacted across China. They were contacted by their University yesterday who concerned by the reports they had seen about the British public’s response to the request to socially isolate (let’s go to the park/seaside/Cornwall/pub/hold a party) had decided to send ten face masks to their UK foreign staff so that they and their family could wear them when they ventured outside. Contrary to some published opinion face masks do make a difference as they reduce the risk of infecting others (we may be asymptomatic) and reduce face touching. In China not wearing a face mask was/is an arrestable offence.

Steve928 - 2020-03-24 9:48 AM .... I would feel very self-conscious if I do choose to use it as shopping transport though and might have to put a big sticker on the back saying 'local resident going shopping' or some such like.

Good idea!

StuartO - 2020-03-24 9:34 AM

slowdriver - 2020-03-24 9:17 AM

Caravan parks/sites for commercial uses: Where people live permanently in caravan parks or are staying in caravan parks as interim abodes where their primary residence is not available, they may continue to do so.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/874732/230320_-_ Revised_guidance_note_-_finalVF.pdf

So it boils down to the decision of the individual site or CL owner whether to allow units such as full timers to turn up or stay on. But that doesn't allow a full timer to keep moving on; once they've taken up 'temporary residence' on a camping location they have to stay there?

I would assume so, but the government will have to clarify further. However personally, I don't see any big problem for a full-timer, once they have located an accommodating individual site or CL owner to need to move on. Moving around generates its own risks albeit relatively small.( petrol pump handling etc)

For the majority of the population the requirements are now clear and with enforcement achievable.

What’s now needed are instructions for those on the periphery eg someone who ‘escaped’ to their holiday home – should they stay or return? ; someone off in their motorhome, should they stay where they are or should they return to their primary domicile?

In the latter case I suspect it will be down to the local police’s discretion unless gov.uk directs otherwise.

What if their Motorhome IS their primary Domicile ?. ie Fulltimers who have no 'House' to go to ?

We began motorcaravanning in 1998 and have owned three motorhomes since then

1: A 1996-built Ford Transit-based Herald (1998 to late-2004)

2: A new Ford Transit-based Hobby (mid-2005 to late-2014)

3: A new Fiat Ducato-based Rapido (mid-2015 onwards)

All of those vehicles have been parked outside our house in a rural Herefordshire backwater and none of them have ever been used from early November to mid-March.

In early November I inflate the tyres to their maximum recommended pressure and, during the several months of overwintering inactivity, charge up the starter and leisure batteries when I feel this should be done (say once a month). I occasionally move the motorhome a few metres, though this is normally because it’s necessary for reasons other than guarding against tyre ‘flat spotting’.

Although received wisdom is that a motorhome should be driven regularly during the winter, I’ve chosen never to do this and there has been absolutely no evidence of harm resulting from that choice.

If taking out your motohome once a fortnight to ‘exercise’ its mechanical components is going to cause you heart-searching, I suggest that not doing this for a couple of months or so won’t cause problems.

This is quite a complicated issue. The recommendation is for all Brits abroad to return home, but that is difficult for those where flights are cancelled or ferries stopped, and that is even worse for those far afield, like Australia.

We are in our holiday home in Spain, and being in the country, are safely away from the virus. Spain, despite having rising cases, has taken the lockdown far more seriously than the UK is doing. This partial lockdown is NOT enough, people will abuse the ability to exercise, and unless a complete lockdown is forced then the situation in the UK could well be the worst in Europe.

As to full timers here in Spain, only "full time residents" who have a permanent water connection on their site are allowed to stay. Two of our friends, despite being Spanish residents have been evicted from their home as they don't have a permanent water connection, and the shower block, that they usually use, has been shut, and they haven't got a shower in their van/home. This eviction is being enforced by the police, and luckily we have found them temporary accommodation as bookings here have been cancelled. Not to say that this is the case throughout the whole of Spain but it is being enforced here, in the eastern Almeria region.

We, and friends here in their apartments are staying put, certainly until the situation in the UK is showing a positive improvement. We have been told that we are welcome, and to return to a worsening situation in the UK is not a sensible option. Also, no shortages, segregated queueing, and people behaving sensibly makes the lockdown so much easier.

The only solution, stay at home, apply a full lockdown to yourselves and your families, and maybe, just maybe, the crisis can be overcome sooner rather than later.

Keep safe and healthy,

Ainsley

Archived