Eastern France

ColinM50

L'aimeeduck started a post headed Pyrenees in which several contributors posted very useful info about, not surprisingly, the Pyrenees and Aires and campsites there. https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Pyrenees/60070/

Unlike L'aimee we're doing Dover Calais and then turning left, not right. Our plan, if you want to call it that is in two and half or 3 weeks to end up in Annecy or thereabouts or Geneva

We'll stay one or two nights around Dunkirk, then work towards Mons and Bouillon in Belgium but from there we're open to suggestions. Off the beaten track, i.e. not motorways is good

There's just the two of us plus two cavaliers so don't need lots of play equipment, just quiet places to stop for a night or several with reasonable restuarants nearby.

Any suggestions much appreciated

...not quite what you asked, I think, but to start things, between Mons and Bouillon you might check out Monthermé. Very attractively located in a bend of the Meuse, with a cracking Aire right on the riverside run by the "Marina".

Not overrun with restaurants, but there is one decently rated one adjacent the Aire.

The Aire doesn't show up on Streetview, the pictures predate it. We've used it three times now, and it has been peaceful every time.

Edited to add: the Streetview pictures from the other side of the river are more up-to-date, and adequately represent the Aire as it now is:

https://goo.gl/maps/qvZFR27Uu3P76BYk8

Montherme.jpg.c3c32f3e5cdfb0e05d75ab3cbc221d74.jpg

Colin

You don't stipulate what sort of stops you want, aires or sites ...we mainly use sites so that is what I'll describe.

Worth a foray into Luxemburg to take advantage of their tax free diesel. Camping Bon Acceuil Alzinghen, just South of Luxemburg town is a pleasant ACSI site. Or a bit further on, camping Buttlewoog near Dahn just in Germany, near Pirmasens. Dahn has 3 castles right next to each other - free entry and really interesting countryside in Felsland - part of the Pfalzwald with massive sandstone outcrops on which the castles are built. Camping Buttlewoog has an excellent restaurant used by the locals.

Then cross back into France and go south to Colmar. Camping de L'il. Colmar old town is a delight and Bar Schwendie right in the centre is always popular and good value with local Alsace dishes..

We went all the way down the eastern side, popping in and out of Switzerland and Italy, over the Alps on the Col du Bonhomme down to Nice.

Fantastic scenery, no motorways, a great trip. Always check that the passes around Val D'Isere are open ...often still shut into June.

We may come back up this way after we've visited the Pyrenees and Cotes D'Azur. Off on Tuesday ...can't wait!

Jeremy the L'aimeduck!

First suggestion is follow this link and get a copy of the ACSI guide: https://tinyurl.com/2psu77p4 and/or, as you prefer, one of the "aires" guides.

If you haven't come across the ACSI guides, they are (for 2022) a list of over 3,000 "inspected" campsites in 22 countries across Europe, that we have always found of at least reliable quality, and with the books there is an off season discount card, generally usable outside July and August. The discounted rates include pitch and 2 adults, EHU (min 6A) hot showers and, where dogs are permitted, one dog wit second possibly subject to additional charge. 2022 rates vary between €12 and €22 per night. Depending on what you opt for, there is also a smartphone (Apple or Android) app which allows all the site data to be used without data connection.

If not quite sure which/what, ring them on 0131 208 3333. The All the Aires book is their own publication. They are based in Folkestone. I have no connection with either Vicarious Books or ACSI. :-)

The problem with recommending sites is that they do change hands from time to time, and we haven't visited any of the sites I will mention for at least two years, so please check before turning up!

Camping Mont Olympe in Charleville-Mezieres, France. A good municipal within walking distance of a quite attractive town. GPS N49.77910 E4.72088 Last used 2013.

Camping Bon Acceuil at Alzingen, Luxemburg. Well run overnight stop within easy walk of town. GPS N49.56903 E6.16034. Last used 2019. (I see Jeremy beat me to this one! :-))

Camping Le Vallon de l'Ehn, Obernai, France. Very well run municipal within comfortable walking distance of attractive Alsatian town. GPS N48.46453 E7.46785. Last used 2019. Excellent E Leclerc hyper on opposite side of town with ample parking. GPS N48.46776 E7.49616. Good (when last visited!) restaurant l'Agneau d'Or, but others in town (some a bit too tourist oriented).

Camping des Trois Chateaux at Eguisheim, France. Another well run municipal site within walking distance of an even more attractive, smaller, Alsatian town. GPS N48.04262 E7.29971. Last used 2019.

Camping le Belvedere, Annecy, France. Another municipal within walking distance of this attractive town. GPS N45.89047 E6.13224. Last used 2012.

Camping le Brabois Nancy (Villers lès Nancy), France. I think still a municipal, but also in the ACSI book. Nancy is a very stylish and attractive small city. Bus from site to city centre. GPS N48.65735 E6.13981. Last used 2013. "Le Foy", on Place Stanislas, was a good restaurant last time we visited.

Thanks chaps, v helpful.

Yes we've got the ACSI and Vicarious books/maps, not tried the app yet but thanks for the heads up. TBH I've not renewed the ACSI this year, last was 2020, working on the basis that a) the sites don't change too much and b) we'll be going in early July so likely the sites won't offer the ACSI discount. Can't see anywhere where ACSI stipulate dates for early operation.

We've stayed at one site in Dunkerque, just off the beach which was good and in Mons an Aire right alongside the river. If you've not been to Mons it's fascinating. There's four canals/rivers meeting and one of them is an elevated one about 50 metres high and works on a hydraulic principle, one boat up another down and these are BIG boats. Fascinating to watch and you can go up on a lift inside the control tower.

Any more recommendations much appreciated

ColinM50 - 2022-05-30 10:48 AM...........................

..............................Can't see anywhere where ACSI stipulate dates for early operation...................

If you mean the dates between which the discount is available, it is stated in a narrow blue band just below each site entry (the dates are set by the individual sites). But, if you don't have the 2022 book and card, the dates will be irrelevant as your car is (presumably) for 2021.

...passing through, another place in the area good for stopping off and an evening's wander is Rocroi.

Not a lot to detain you for more than a day, but the town is surrounded by reasonably complete "star" fortifications, the Aire is just outside the walls, and is quiet and free (at least, it was both when we were there).

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks all for your advice, I've printed it off and we go on Wednesday/Thursday this week and will mainly just wander northern France, Belgium and eastern France maybe Switzerland and see what we see.

If anybody else would like to add anything, speak now or forever etc etc.

BTW we sorted our dogs AHC's as recommended via Abbeywell vets in Folkestone. We pick the paperwork up on Wed pm with ferry Thurs, though we'll turn up at P&O Dover and see if they'll let us on early. Sometimes they do other times they try to charge.

FWIW cost of the AHC's was £190 for the two dogs whereas our vet wanted £300 each and best we could find elsewhere, and I called about twelve was £280 for the two. So thanks to whoever recommended them

Thanks Lance and you're right about email address, looks like Moderator did it for me. :$ (lol)

Any road up, Lance emailed me three Exel spreadsheets of his routings and suggestions which printed off brilliantly. It'll give SWMBO something to do while I'm ding the hard work driving. If anybody else wants a copy send a message to lance and you might be lucky. 8-) (lol)

One of our favourite aires is at Corre, about 70 miles NE of Dijon, it’s in a pleasant, rural location adjacent to the marina. The individual hardstandings are separated with grass and have e.h.u. and a water tap. There’s a well designed dump point.

The €9 fee includes all services and is paid made to the Capitainerie, an extra €2 gives access to showers and a washing machine. It’s a pleasant canal-side walk into the village, on the edge of which is an Intermarché. The adjoining, Swiss owned? restaurant is pleasant and serves a reasonably priced plate d’jour.

Cattwg :-D

Archived