EasyLifter HydraLift

TheEscapist

I'll be posting an update on the Chelston Motorhome thread shortly on finally taking delivery of the second incarnation of the long-awaited, Carthago Liner for Two.

However as an aside, finally decided to buy a Vespa for the back on a trailer and after looking around bought the EasyLifter Hydralift product.

I wanted to post a few warnings for others here on my experience, which was not good!

Ordered the product by phone as the owner doesn't answer emails very often it seems. He found me one for posting out in two days which was nice as he said normally it's a 5-6 week lead time. Not sure why it would take so long as it's an off the shelf non-customised product but there we go.

Product was sent out to Chelston Motorhomes to fit when we collected the Liner for Two and arrived as planned.

That's the good news...

Bad news is....

After many requests, never received an order invoice or proper receipt. The item arrived with a 1960s style hand written scribble but no VAT breakdown or anything and lots of crossings out. Despite further requests, nothing sent.

Product arrived badly wrapped and falling out of the (several separate pieces of) packaging. Impossible to know if it all arrived or not but several items were damaged including the 3 ton jack.

Fitting should be easy we thought after watching the videos and looking for the instructions. Engineers at Chelston could not understand much from the instructions and said they'd never seen anything that bad, videos online don't show any close-ups so it was trial and error all the way.

First off it didn't even fit to the Carthago Liner for Two as only one adaptor plate was supplied for a UK type tow bar fitting. Continental are 4 bolt so new holes had to be drilled in the steel and new bolts sourced.

Next was not enough rear clearance to fit the product so a galvanised spacer plate was fabricated and galvanised.

Next was the job of trying to guess how it all worked. Finally figured out the assembly and tried to fit but several other issues.

Rear light board wasn't centred so had to be re-drilled, wasn't supported so had to have additional brackets made, and other pieces don't fit together correctly so had to be adapted.

Finally working and connected, we find that the Carthago shows light errors as the light board doesn't have a reversing light so now need to source a new might board in LED or add reversing lights.

In operation, ignoring the light error in the cab, driving is ok but it wobbles around a lot and always scared the bike will fall off. The big arm that goes over the seat does little to support the bike so the key is to secure tightly with ratchet straps on the outriggers (not supplied so had to buy separately).

So far, taken the bike on and off a couple of times and it's not at all a one minute job as claimed. Think 30 minutes! I'm fairly strong but anyone not so string wouldn't manage at all as the wheels need a strong pull put of the attachments, the assembly to fit to lower and raise is heavy. All in all, a back-breaking, dirty and had job that means we wouldn't take the bike off too often for a short ride! I'm sure it gets easier as you get used to the job though but still hard work.

Worst of all is the total absence of any customer support from the owner of Easylifter. Refuses to even accept any of the issues and told me it's out fault! Well, I would admit I'm no engineer but I was with 2 skilled engineers at Chelston and they were less than impressed.

Interested if anyone has had a similar experience or can recommend a better solution.

Cheers

Paul

I feel for you Paul, and Mr Easylifter probably knows you can't be bothered with sending the beast back. At least this is a warning to others on this forum that this particular carrier is not fit for purpose! Spookily we met another full timing couple who had a similar experience with an hydraulic motorcycle lifter, but they got their money back before it was fitted.

The best one I ever saw was motored out of the back of a Concorde, and that was a pleasure!

Archived