Easylifter Hydra Trail Mudguards Broken Off

mervyncp

I have owned and used an Easy Lifter Hydra Trail for 4 years and taken it across Europe yearly. Last year during a trip to Croatia I managed to lose the mudguards from both wheels. Both snapped off where the frame is welded to the wheel swivel structure. As both went in the same way I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there.

I had exactly the same problem during a trip earlier this year to France, Spain and Portugal. I lost one mudguard and removed the other, before loosing it, after noticing one of the welds was broken. Unfortunately I then had a disaster and suffered a catastrophic failure. I assume that the wheel swivel friction adjustment had slackened due to mileage covered. I did check it but thought that they were ok. This was my first, (and last) time with this trailer. As there is no suspension the trailer jumps into the air if you hit a pothole or biggish bump. I did so on a motorway in Spain. Whilst airborne one wheel spun through 90 degrees, meaning when it hit the road again it was at 90 degrees to my direction of travel. The force, with my motorbike weighing 130kg, ripped the wheel right off. The failure point was where the wheel holder is welded to the main frame. Managed to get off the motorway safely by removing the bike, raising and strapping the platform with no wheels attached and riding the bike off whilst the wife drove the MoHo. We bought a great secondhand trailer in Spain.

The lesson here is ALWAYS CHECK THE ADJUSTMENT ON YOUR SWIVEL TENSIONERS.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Archived