Ecomomie or Cruise

Cliffy

Last year we went Portsmouth to Santander sailing on the Pont Avon which was great but thought we would try doing it using the economie vessel BAIE DE SEINE.

Has anyone experience of both these vessels? We are not interested in entertainment or food quality.

Are the cabins of similar quality?

Is the economie a similar size and not prone to pitching and rolling? (The Pont Avon was steady all the way and the OH was sick even then)

Some cabins are already sold out on both classes for May and July 2016, could it be people are boycotting Dover Calais and booking early?

I think you will find that the "Pet Friendly" cabins are the reason for early bookings The Spanish ferries are getting very popular , as it saves days of driving through France. Don't think any thing to do with Calais, as there are other ports that are far cheaper than going on the Spanish route.

PJay.

I've experience of both cruise and economie and my preference is economie. Ok the economie is a smaller ship and isn't as stable as the cruise but it's far cheaper and I think the food is much better. On the cruise we were parked at the rear under the funnels and when we docked mine and other motorhomes were covered in black exhaust soot. A seaman was told to hose them down which helped but the roofs were still covered.

Re hosing down comment..no doubt with salt water ..may have remover some exhaust problem, but spraying salt water over and around my vehicle..no thanks, salt is very corrosive,, prefer to treat the dirt later.

tonyg3nwl.

re economy or cruise, no personal experience but long crossing to spain and bay of biscay in other than millpond conditions doesnt appeal. Shorter crossing and longer drive would be my choice.

tonyg3nwl.

Just crossed last week on the Baie de Seine, the cabin / shower was clean, there is a nice self service resteraunt and a bar, small shop. We lacked for nothing. Being a smaller ship you tend to run into the same passengers and have a chat, a bit more social one might say. The motorhome was on the outside rear deck so was covered in sea spray, not good. We managed to get an electric hook up on board, but that's another story. Although not a rough crossing during the night the ship speeded up and probably took the stabilisers off to make time up which want there was more movement which could be noticed whilst trying to sleep.

We would definateley use again though.

First time we used the Portsmouth/Santander crossing was 3rd January this year and the boat was the Etretat, never ever again. May be ok in summer but definitely not in winter. It was so rough nobody could stand up, if you tried you were sent side to side holding the rails, nobody in the restaurant because of the weather. Spent most of the crossing trying to sleep. Neither of us have ever been seasick before and we don't want to experience it again so will be driving through France this time. As far as the vehicles were concerned our motorhome was inside but the crew were supposed to rinse the salt water off near the end of the voyage for the vehicles that were on the outside deck. We have friends who use this crossing each year but in November and early December and the boat was the Pont Aven and they haven't had any problems.

We sailed from Portsmouth to Bilbao on the Etratat last January and everything about the ship, the crossing and the unloading were terrible. Several vehicles were damaged at Bilbao whilst unloading, the ship was very unstable, and our cabin had knackered mattresses.

When the ship returned to Portsmouth the crossing took 38 hours, due to an engine failing.

We shall not be using the MV Etratat again.

We have travelled this route on both the Cruise and Economie but on Cap Finistere (Cruise) and Etretat (Economie)

We prefered the Economie as we weren't bothered about the (questionable) entertainment which was bingo and a music quiz.

The cabins were almost identical but on the Cap Finestere it was very hot and we couldn't turn it down/air con up. Other passengers complained they were cold so don't know what the problem was.

We also prefered the food on the Etretat and the self service was very good value and about 5 choices of main meal. The food on Cap Finestere was about 2 choices in the al la carte restaurant and very expensive-the wine was extortionate. No self service alternative apart from a 'grab a bag' in the shop for a salad etc.

The bar area was better on Cap but was adequate on Etretat. Shop was far better on Cap and very small & limited on Etretat (although I felt that was a blessing in disguise!)

The van was loaded inside on the Etretat and was fine but we also were outside on the Cap behind the funnels and the van was covered in oily soot and gunge when we got to Portsmouth. Nobody offered to rinse it. The loading on both ships was fine but very slow unloading on Cap Finestere-maybe because of being outside we had to let everyone else off first.

As regards the crossing maybe we were lucky but have had smooth (ish) crossings on all ships so can't comment regarding stability. Bit bumpy during night but not throwing us about and/or causing seasickness

We are going this time on Baie du Seine both ways so fingers crossed it is ok-I'll post after crossing!

Mike

Mike B. - 2015-10-09 9:36 PM

We have travelled this route on both the Cruise and Economie but on Cap Finistere (Cruise) and Etretat (Economie)

We prefered the Economie as we weren't bothered about the (questionable) entertainment which was bingo and a music quiz.

The cabins were almost identical but on the Cap Finestere it was very hot and we couldn't turn it down/air con up. Other passengers complained they were cold so don't know what the problem was.

We also prefered the food on the Etretat and the self service was very good value and about 5 choices of main meal. The food on Cap Finestere was about 2 choices in the al la carte restaurant and very expensive-the wine was extortionate. No self service alternative apart from a 'grab a bag' in the shop for a salad etc.

The bar area was better on Cap but was adequate on Etretat. Shop was far better on Cap and very small & limited on Etretat (although I felt that was a blessing in disguise!)

The van was loaded inside on the Etretat and was fine but we also were outside on the Cap behind the funnels and the van was covered in oily soot and gunge when we got to Portsmouth. Nobody offered to rinse it. The loading on both ships was fine but very slow unloading on Cap Finestere-maybe because of being outside we had to let everyone else off first.

As regards the crossing maybe we were lucky but have had smooth (ish) crossings on all ships so can't comment regarding stability. Bit bumpy during night but not throwing us about and/or causing seasickness

We are going this time on Baie du Seine both ways so fingers crossed it is ok-I'll post after crossing!

Mike

Good post.

Just to add regarding the exhaust soot, they are usually very obliging, did you ask anyone?

yoko8pups - 2015-10-10 1:36 PM

I am a Brittany Ferries member (contact me if you want my number for 10% discount) I've done the other crossings many times but a few weeks ago when I tried to book the economie I was told it couldn't take motorhomes. Was I misinformed?

From replies on here and the fact they are happy to take the booking, yes you have been misinformed.

I have sent you a PM

rolandrat - 2015-10-10 9:18 AM

Mike B. - 2015-10-09 9:36 PM

Mike

Good post.

Just to add regarding the exhaust soot, they are usually very obliging, did you ask anyone?

To be fair, no! Didn't see anyone about with a hosepipe and after sitting for over an hour waiting to get off was glad just to move!

I'll bear it in mind next time though

Mike

Archived