Electric Bikes v scooters

Guest norman d

Guest norman d
Thanks to all who answered my query on road tax,they all make sense. Now is there anyone with experience of electric cycles I am thinking of buying a couple of powerbykes - are they any good - can you charge them from motorhome vehicle electrics or only on hook up? Is the battery range sufficient and are they sensible/manageable on pedal only mode? Also they are very heavy and would seem to be a problem lifting onto a cycle carrier! Or is a better bet a motor scooter, more versatile but also more overall cost?

I think you'll find that most electric bikes are really only electric 'assist'. If you use electric only (i.e., no pedalling) then the range is quite limited, even on modern batteries. I have a friend in his late 70s who swears by his and his wife's and has no problem loading them. They recharge them from hookup - those with 12 volt batteries will not get a charge from a 12 volt battery as they need at least 13.5 volts to push a charge in. That said, have you noticed how, along with awning rooms and folding bikes, electric bikes are one of the most advertised used items? Must be a reason. And I assume you have a motorbike licence?

Guest Pat Price
We have two italian electric bikes which look like touring bikes with a battery on the back carrier. We love them. There is a key to turn off the power for flat areas. Turned on, the power kicks in when resistance is felt on the pedals. We remove the battery before loading on the cycle rack to reduce the weight and store it inside the van. The range is about 15 miles on one charge. Very steep hills will take more power out, as we found out on a trip to Northumberland! I think this is more because we are old and feeble and can't help the bike up the hill much. If you have an inverter you can charge them from the leisure battery. Hope this all helps.

We have a pair of 4 stroke 90cc petrol monkey bikes. We started with something far less powerful and have worked our way up. We would not want to be limited in speed or range as you would be with electrically assisted bikes. We have done an 80 mile circular tour in a day on them without realising just how far we had gone until afterwards. But it depends on exactly what you want to use it for??

Archived