Electric bikes

dawki

Hi everyone

Just returned from a great trip to Lakes and Scotland and couldn’t help noticing a huge increase in people using electric bikes

We cycle on our standard bikes regularly when away but it’s not easy up and down hills in the lakes etc

So we are giving thought to E bikes

Just wondering if anyone has one and what they think of it?

They are brilliant, especially if a bit older or infirm. Really need electric hook up to re charge, but the range is 40 miles plus.

Huge range from posh German to cheap Chinese.

You pay your money and take your choice.

Mine is a centre motor Dutch type with panniers and basket for shopping.

We have 2 e,bikes, 6 yrs old now still as good as new, done hundreds of miles on them and still have the original 36a batteries,They are from as bikes coventry who are at all the large exhibitions, also if you have problems even as old as ours are such as stands breaking ect, they are very helpful and do not charge for minor replacements. Fesspark. p.s. we are now in out eighties and they gave us a new outlook to travel.

Bought one recently and very pleased with it. Have been cycling for many years but the distances I cover have been decreasing quite a bit in last couple of years.

Have now reversed that trend and go much further - the assistance levels out the hills nicely !

Big range available - the more powerful the battery - the longer the distance it will last - but the more it will cost.

Most of them rather heavy so it may not be possible to put them on a rack on the back of a van - can only carry ours on a towball rack on the car.

Not just for the elderly or infirm ( which is the way I used to think of them ! ) - met a young couple who spend their holidays riding around the Alps and Pyrenees on theirs. ( But they were high end bikes ).

;-)

Have had a hub drive for several years, gf got a crank drive last year, I'm now considering a crank drive. Only usually use the motor for hills, and a hub drive with standard size wheels will struggle on steep hills just when it is needed, gf's crank drive with 28" wheels will happily go up anything you will find.

We have had "his and hers" now for over 5 years and find them great, must admit "his" is used more lol.

Great for long rides or just nipping down the shops.

They do vary in style, price and quality and of course reliability, do your home work and check the battery size and range. Can honestly say we have had no problems whatsoever with ours.

Go for it, happy cycling.

Highly recommended - we solved our transport problems with two budget e-bikes from local supermarket and some panniers for shopping and a dog carrier from the Internet (amazingly our Yorkie cross loves it).

With the batteries removed I can lift them onto the rear carrier quite easily despite having passed my 'three score years and ten' milestone.

I don't have one as yet but am hoping to get one in the future,i tried one out on a visit to the Netherlands last year,it was great,like you I have a normal hybrid at present but I could cover much more ground if I went electric,i like the Dutch style ones they look very well built.

My first E bike was a Wisper Hybrid and I’ve now graduated to a full suspension Cube 160 MTB which is an absolute beast , I’m a total E bike convert , they are the ideal compliment to a motorhome life .

Yup - We have two, "His & Hers" Cheaper Chinese, foldup electric cycles.

They fit in our underbed garage with the Sachs MadAss motorbike.

The modus operandi is:-

Get motorbike out and explore the local area to find the little bistro/cafe/bar/restaurant.

Return to that nice little bistro/cafe/bar/restaurant on the electric bikes so we can have a glass of wine or two!

(Hers is called "Volts", mine is "Amps"!)

evora.jpg.ccc7609aaff9fa64987a012a2f366f5a.jpg

dawki - 2019-05-28 6:38 PM

Well basically not a bad word to be said about them from what I can see

Very many thanks for taking the time to respond

There are plenty of websites all about e-bikes - I learned a lot about them before I bought one.

Well worth a look.

Good luck

;-)

Try before you buy, as with any bike the riding position and comfort is important. Obviously there are adjustments on any bike, that said if you get a bad fit initially, it will not go too well. Small folding bikes suit some people, others avoid them.

Bikes are heavier than an ordinary bike, so handling, storage and being able to charge them without removing the battery are considerations.

Some regard to what might happen if you are unfortunate enough to fall off! Helmets a must, but not quite up to motorbike leathers ! It's usually others that cause the problem, in my case I met a magpie that took off , and we met. Maybe I should have given way to winged pedestrians.

We had to sell ours because of health problems, but really enjoyed the experience whilst we had them for six years or so.

Rgds

Deffo second the helmet post , essential!

If you decide to go the clip in / cleat pedal option make sure you get plenty of practice in a place with a soft landing material because you WILL fall off , lots ! :-D

We have two, both sold by Woosh. Please ignore people who say you must have crank drive and spend loads of money. If you take a look at the pedelecs forum you will see that rear wheel drive with a good motor is in fact better for most people. To say they will not climb is pure nonsense but you do need a decent motor. I have used mine in the alps and the Pyrenees and I am not very fit. A lot of climbing using maximum assist will run the battery down quicker so a big battery is essential if you intend to do this. As someone has said you need to give some idea of budget and type of bike required before more specific advice is given.

rupert123 - 2019-05-31 3:11 PM

We have two, both sold by Woosh. Please ignore people who say you must have crank drive and spend loads of money. If you take a look at the pedelecs forum you will see that rear wheel drive with a good motor is in fact better for most people. To say they will not climb is pure nonsense but you do need a decent motor. I have used mine in the alps and the Pyrenees and I am not very fit. A lot of climbing using maximum assist will run the battery down quicker so a big battery is essential if you intend to do this. As someone has said you need to give some idea of budget and type of bike required before more specific advice is given.

As I posted the wheel size for a hub drive is critical, a standard sized touring wheel with hub drive will stall the motor on a very steep hill.

My wife and I bought a pair of Freego folding electric bikes about four years ago. they Have hub drives and have proved to be very reliable BUT the company went bust this year and liquidated stock is being offered at reduced prices. Spares may be a problem: my charging unit stopped working but I got a similar unit through Amazon. Electric bikes are great. I have dodgy knees and use my one at home regularly to get into the village quicker than I do by car and thus do not have short car journeys. Definitely recommend electric bikes.

rupert123 - 2019-05-31 3:11 PM

I’ve had both hub and crank drives and both have been v good in their own ways . The hub ( rear in my case ) was bombproof and v workmanlike ( no bad thing may I say ! ) , the crank drive is way more sophisticated and responsive . I use the MTB in quite extreme conditions that the hybrid would baulk at so it’s very much horses for courses . As with lots of automotive gear I subscribe to the mantra “ spend as much as you can comfortably afford “ , tech moves so quickly in this field that residuals are terrible if not non existent.

Have fun researching and buying n then enjoying the e bike !

TheFrenchConnection - 2019-05-27 8:29 PM

Highly recommended - we solved our transport problems with two budget e-bikes from local supermarket and some panniers for shopping and a dog carrier from the Internet (amazingly our Yorkie cross loves it).

With the batteries removed I can lift them onto the rear carrier quite easily despite having passed my 'three score years and ten' milestone.

Could you please advise a link for the dog carrier, as our dog is 8 kgs, and this would be perfect for us.

Many thanks

Hi all and thanks again for your response all sounds good really looking for hydrid type of bike that would go up and down a few good hills and maybe do 50mile round trip we are both still very active but would just like a wee bit of help sometimes

Helmets are not compulsory in the UK and if you want to start a fight on a cycling forum just mention h——t and stand well back. At best the evidence in favour is doubtful. I have never worn on and never will. Some flimsy overpriced polystyrene is all they are but if it makes you feel comfortable by all means waste your dosh.

Hi

After hiring 2 e bikes in Rutland and I have Had numerous motor bikes my verdict ! BRILLIANT any incline give it the full power and you will fly up Everest! They say that the battery’s last up to 40 miles! But there are various variants of these bikes ! Go to a reputable dealer and they will tell you the full SP! But I am coming up to retirement and I will be buying one!

bigjohnthecat - 2019-06-01 6:29 PM

Hi

After hiring 2 e bikes in Rutland and I have Had numerous motor bikes my verdict ! BRILLIANT any incline give it the full power and you will fly up Everest! They say that the battery’s last up to 40 miles! But there are various variants of these bikes ! Go to a reputable dealer and they will tell you the full SP! But I am coming up to retirement and I will be buying one!

afaik that would have been a Scott crankdrive.

Archived