Electric vans take a step forward?

colin

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the face of it looks good, but we have to ask if this is the start of EV M/H's how would they get charged? Can't see many sites spending the money to install charge points, it took them long enough to put in 10Amp lekky to pitches, what will that cost?

But a good start and what a nice launch order, 10,000 orders. Wow

Wonder if they'll be at NEC end of Feb?

Nicepix - 2020-01-31 3:54 PM

What is the situation regards weight? If MH manufacturers are struggling to get current models below 3.5t how are they going to overcome the weight of the batteries and stay under 3.5t?

The last I heard the gov where intending EV commercial vans slightly over 3.5t to be driven on car licence, but no such change for MH's.

My dad drove one similar to that in the late 50's it was called a MILK FLOAT!!!!! :-D

What happens in winter when cold batteries can not be fast charged, and the

heater is on full blast, all the lights, the cold can also affect regen braking.

(the clip below was coppied from google)

Why Electric Cars Struggle in the Cold—and How to Help ...

30 Jan 2019 - When it comes to putting electrons into the battery, freezing weather hurts in two regards. It limits regenerative braking, so the car recoups less power and drivers can't rely on one-pedal driving. And charging, particularly fast charging, will be limited to protect the battery.

steve

Gman - 2020-01-31 4:41 PM

My dad drove one similar to that in the late 50's it was called a MILK FLOAT!!!!! :-D

What happens in winter when cold batteries can not be fast charged, and the

heater is on full blast, all the lights, the cold can also affect regen braking.

(the clip below was coppied from google)

Why Electric Cars Struggle in the Cold—and How to Help ...

30 Jan 2019 - When it comes to putting electrons into the battery, freezing weather hurts in two regards. It limits regenerative braking, so the car recoups less power and drivers can't rely on one-pedal driving. And charging, particularly fast charging, will be limited to protect the battery.

steve

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/02/17/yes-electric-vehicles-work-in-winter-better-than-gas-cars/

Don636 - 2020-01-31 4:51 PM

Electric might work for a commercial vehicle returning to base to get charged but a motorhome - no chance in my lifetime I would say. The crap charging network and high cost would prevent me from buying an electric car either.

For those like us who are often 'off grid' it's still a non starter, but for those who use campsite with EHU it's beginning to look like it might work with a few adaptions.

thebishbus - 2020-01-31 4:57 PM

Don't waste your your money, the future has to be electric, but Hydrogen powered fuel cells. We could be world leaders if we got our fingers out.

Brian B.

Absolutely, which is why China started migrating to Hydrogen Fuel Cell electric vehicles last year whilst the UK is errrr . . . still rolling out charge points for battery powered electric vehicles.

Give it 10 years and we’ll start to see the switch to hydrogen fuel cell in the West at which point an electric motorhome will become viable.

BruceM - 2020-01-31 5:07 PM

Don't waste your your money, the future has to be electric, but Hydrogen powered fuel cells. We could be world leaders if we got our fingers out.

Brian B.

Absolutely, which is why China started migrating to Hydrogen Fuel Cell electric vehicles last year whilst the UK is errrr . . . still rolling out charge points for battery powered electric vehicles.

Give it 10 years and we’ll start to see the switch to hydrogen fuel cell in the West at which point an electric motorhome will become viable.

..........and electric vehicles becoming obsolete..........

David

david lloyd - 2020-01-31 7:13 PM

BruceM - 2020-01-31 5:07 PM

Brian B.

..........and electric vehicles becoming obsolete..........

David

In ten years UPS will have made a big saving over using ICE vehicles.

BTW hydrogen fuel cell vehicles are still EV's. gov will love them as they will still be able to raise duty on the fuel

If you look at it with an open mind as if you've never seen a vehicle before, diesels are cleaner. No lithium mining, no lithium disposal, no massive increase in power generation and charging points needed. Electric vehicles look like the previous generation of vehicles before we devised a way of carrying our own liquid fuel... Genius B-)

Nicepix - 2020-01-31 3:54 PM

What is the situation regards weight? If MH manufacturers are struggling to get current models below 3.5t how are they going to overcome the weight of the batteries and stay under 3.5t?

More likely to go the other way, its on the cards the standard B licence will be upgraded to at least 4.2 tons.

peedee

Hi all , very interesting views.i recently looked at a Audi Q5 all electric car and the salesman said up to 300 miles on a full charge,that looks good on the face of it, BUT it reduces every time something extra is switched on . Lights, indicators,heating,blower,radio satnav phone charger,ect ect and when I asked about towing a caravan he laughed and said he did not know.Also at over 800 pounds to put a fast charger in the house I said no thank you.for me its very far from cost affective by a long long way.shame.so no electric car for me and as for a motorhome it would be a joke from my point of view. I was recently talking about this very subject to a family member who has a job at Bosh automotive where a study of pollution from diesel cars vans ect has been done and the result is not what you think.the worst pollution is from the brake pads or shoes and second was the rubber from the tyres,and not the diesel fuel. Nothing has been done to address these issues.I was thinking of getting a new motorhome but until there is some clarity for the future I will keep my money in my pocket thanks. Regards Tringy.

80% of the time it’s charged foc Due to tesco. Waitrose, and Lidl all having 7kw chargers to use.

Plus local carparks. Some carparks like Bromyard have a free charger and FREE parking while plugged in. Win win.

Our car has now covered around 9500, not a great Milage in 21 months and doing around 26 miles per charge.

It’s mostly used by my wife for localism runs.

The only reason it’s used petrol is I’ve used it for LHR twice.

It then returned almost 90mpg.

I started with a full charge and run just below 60 to stay in electric.

It’s a bit of a game, but with more chargers now available it’s getting better.

If we go somewhere I use my Pod-Point, polar or zap map to locate a charger.

Yes a longer range would be good and the main draw is the heater.

The lights and other things tend not to make any difference.

The heater is like a hair dryer and zaps the battery.

Hence we tend to run with the heater set low or off.

Charles - 2020-02-01 6:44 AM

If you look at it with an open mind as if you've never seen a vehicle before, diesels are cleaner. No lithium mining, no lithium disposal, no massive increase in power generation and charging points needed. Electric vehicles look like the previous generation of vehicles before we devised a way of carrying our own liquid fuel... Genius B-)

For me the push for EV's is all about local environment where thousands of people die from emissions from vehicles, or do we just consider it Darwinism in action?

As for mining damaging the environment, how about the worlds largest industrial project.

https://www.nationalgeographic.co.uk/environment/2019/04/worlds-most-destructive-oil-operation-and-its-growing

Archived