Engine Noise

Hans

My experience, although not of recent engines, having owned both Peugeot 2.2 and Fiat 2.3 is that there is little to choose in performance or mpg, the Fiat perhaps being marginally more powerful, and the Peugeot perhaps marginally more economical, but that depends on the weight it is having to shift and the weight of your right foot.

The Peugeots we found to be a bit quieter, as in less harsh and rattly, and more subdued at cruise, but that might be down to bulkhead, bonnet and floor soundproofing?

Of far greater importance is the suitability of the conversion for the owner's needs!

If the same van were available in both we would probably be drawn more towards the Peugeot, but again there can be big differences between engines of the same make as well as between the two.

One needs to drive it a sensible distance, not just round the block, and see how it feels.

Derek Uzzell - 2021-11-13 10:22 AM

Perhaps worth reminding that Ducato 2021 uses the 2.2 litre diesel-fuelled powerplant that's been in Citroen Relay/Jumper and Peugeot Boxer vehicles for a while.

Given the merging of the companies under the Stellantis banner I had assumed the same but strangely PSA and Fiat quote different capacities for their respective 2.2 engines, 2188cc for the PSA DW12 and 2184cc for the Fiat Multijet3 (which is also referred to as 'all new'). The only pictures that I've been able to find show 2 quite different engines although the pictures, of the Fiat in particular, may not be correct. I'm reserving judgement until I can lift a Ducato Multijet3 bonnet and take a look.

358014561_PDADW12.JPG.7cd02380a05ecb8c2b890ec5ea1c065a.JPG

549754317_FiatMultijet3.JPG.ade4e5dd4f4a4056c46785e57a8d29e0.JPG

Evidently the Parkers statement was wrong...

A French website advised as follows:

"The range of engines is changed to meet Euro 6D-Final standards with an evolution of the 2.3 engine that we know, but offered here in a modernized version "Multijet3" which adopts new pollution control and fuel consumption reduction systems ( up to -7%). The range includes four power levels: 120, 140, 160 and 180 horsepower. They are, as standard, married to a new six-speed manual gearbox. This new 'box provides less ‘spongy’ clutch operation and improved gear-shifting. As an option (2,700 euros excluding VAT except on the 120 hp version) the excellent 9-speed automatic transmission can be chosen. A smoothness and driving pleasure treat that perfectly adapts to all traffic conditions, in town, on the road or on the motorway.

140 or 160: the right compromise

While the 120 hp model with the new 2.2 l Multijet H3 engine is capable of good urban performance, the restricted equipment options and its limited power mean that this version should not attract many professionals. On the other hand, the 140 or 160 hp versions show great versatility. They are capable of driving under heavy loads without worry and they provide access to comfort equipment unavailable for the 120 hp version, starting with the excellent automatic transmission. Their higher power and torque levels at equivalent engine speeds provide much better driving pleasure. Finally, the 180 hp version is only recommended for the most severe uses or for professionals travelling long distances fully loaded on the motorway.”

Lots of photos on this French website

https://www.autonews.fr/pro/actualite/fiat-ducato-restyle-2021-le-constructeur-italien-met-a-jour-son-utilitaire-98969

including a photo of the instrument-cluster display that (hopefully) will be easily switchable between kilometres or miles readouts.

instruments2.jpg.b30f711609cd22202aaa24ebb73d0fee.jpg

John52 - 2021-11-14 11:59 AM

Derek Uzzell - 2021-11-14 8:09 AM

with an evolution of the 2.3 engine that we know,.

But that is 2287cc

Saying that the latest motors are an evolution of the Iveco-made 2.3 litre powerplants that have been installed in Ducato since 2006 doesn't stop this being true just because the capacity is smaller, or because many of the parts might not be interchangeable. The 2.2 litre motor fitted to Transit Mk 7 vehicles evolved from the 2.0 litre unit fitted to the Mk 6, but there were significant differences, not merely the capacity increase. And the 2.2 litre BlueHDI motors now fitted to Boxers/Relays evolved from the 2.0 litre motor originally used.

I've reported what was said in a French article (as I did for the Parkers article) but I've not done in-depth research on whether the 2.2 litre motors are genuinely "all new", or based on the design principles of the 2.3 engines.

The 'improved gearchange' of a new gearbox will be very welcome.

Also should the 'less spongy clutch' involve replacing the current MLGU6 gearbox's concentric slave cylinder (10 hours labour to change) with an external slave cylinder (1 hours labour to change) like that used by PSA's Boxer on the same gearbox that too will get a big thumbs up from me.

I can't speak for the newer Euro 6 engines as I have never owned one, and neither do I want one!!

The main reason I was advised that the older 2.2 PSA hdi was quieter than the Fiat 2.3 was that the PSA diesel was car derived and therefore needed to be more refined than the commercial origins of the Fiat 2.3 would dictate.

It made sense to me!

Having to use Adblue to meet emmisions control is surely taking the proverbial?

I don't know when the PSA hdi was abolished in favour of the Fiat derived engine but as with all things - try before you buy - caveat emptor.

OK, from a (translated) article in the French motorhome magazine "Camping-Car” that states that the 2184cc motors fitted to the 2022 Ducato are indeed ‘all new’, so will NOT be the BlueHDI motors fitted to Boxers amd Relays/Jumpers. (Image of new Ducato motor attached below)

An entirely new 2.2 liter

The biggest revolution is happening under the bonnet of the Ducato. To meet the standards in force in terms of polluting emissions (Euro 6d-Final), the engineers of the Fiat Powertrain division have started with a blank slate. They have designed an an all-aluminum 4-cylinder 2184 cc unit that - compared to the old 2.3 liters - is 15 kg lighter. It is also quiter, as we were able to verify during our tests of acceleration and at a steady speed (around 120 km / h). According to the manufacturer, it would prove to be more economical than before while retaining equivalent power . All units have a variable geometry turbo-compressor (TGV) with cooling worthy of a racing car by intercooler ( air-water exchanger ). High pressure diesel injection is provided by a 3rd generation Multijet rail still using an Adblue system (urea-based) and an exhaust with more efficient catalysts . Fiat will also offer a 100% electric E-Ducato in its catalog , to meet certain demands.

The basic version of 120 hp, available only in manual gearbox, delivers a torque of 320 Nm from 1,400 rpm. The 140 hp variation can provide, depending on the gearbox fitted to the vehicle, between 350 Nm (manual gearbox) and 380 Nm (automatic gearbox). The same goes for the versions delivering 160 hp (380 Nm in BVM or 400 Nm in BVA) and 180 hp (380 Nm in BVM or 450 Nm in BVA). The manual gearbox has only 6 gears but has been optimized to reduce friction between its pinions. The automatic gearbox adds three more with 9 gears to offer maximum driving pleasure and better focus on driving. While all Ducato models come as standard with a 70-liter tank, Fiat has also provided a 90-liter model as an option. Our tests over short distances, with 140, 160 and 180 horsepower engines in a mechanical or automatic gearbox, did not allow us to verify the announced reductions in consumption (-7%). But, on the accreditation side, progress is real from every point of view. Our preference, for leisure use, is the 160 horsepower version with automatic gearbox. This duo represents the ideal compromise between pleasure and ease of driving for driving in the city as well as on mountainous roads

124916.jpg.daa76ae76c6590ef0f3ac1d6c2d68b90.jpg

• 1 year later...

A year on it may be worth updating this thread regarding the, now confirmed, difference between the Euro6D 2.2L engines in the Ducato/Boxer/Relay/Movano vehicles. Having now had the opportunity to lift bonnets (although the differences are most obvious looking from underneath the front bumper) it takes all of a few seconds to see that there are 2 very different powerplants in use. Clearly Parkers (and some other van review sites) were just assuming that all Stellantis group vehicles would share the same unit already in use in the platform.

Boxers, Relays and Movanos use the PSA Powertrain DW12RU (Tremery plant, Moselle) which is either 2179cc if you calculate capacity from bore and stroke or 2188cc if you use PSA's own data. It's mated only to the existing 6 speed manual box(es).

Ducatos use the Italian-made (Pratola Serra plant, Avellino) 2184cc unit which was new in 2015 for the Jeep Cherokee for which vehicle it was also the first mating to the ZF 9 speed automatic transmission. A readily available source of power unit and ZF auto box to be used in Multijet3 guise, so perhaps not as 'all new' as some texts claim.

A striking difference in layout between the 2 concerns the exhaust routing and DPF. On the PSA unit the DPF is in the usual location down the rear the engine, while on the Fiat unit the 'integrated exhaust manifold and turbo' brings the exhaust forward around the RH (driver's view) end of the engine to a front-mounted DPF between engine and radiator, after which the exhaust is taken rearward underneath the engine in a cutout between sump and bellhousing.

So it seems that, unless PSA or Vauxhall stump up the development costs to mate it to their engine, the 9 speed auto will be available on Fiat only. Something that perhaps brings a smile to the faces of the old FCA guard who refused PSA the Comfortmatic..

A few pictures attached to illustrate the differences.

Boxer DW12RU front 1.JPG

Multijet3 front 1.JPG

Boxer DW12RU rear 1.JPG

Multijet3 rear 1.JPG

Multijet3 front 3.JPG

I bought a new Ducato van last year, and got an email from the Fiat dealer yesterday to see if I want to order a new series 9 Ducato.

They have no Ducatos in stock, (apart from an all electric Ducato) an allocation of 30 they can order, of which 19 have been taken, and lead time 6-8 months.

Chassis cowls (as used in coachbuilts) are apparently in even shorter supply.  Whitby Morrison https://www.whitbymorrison.com/ have been reduced to buying second hand panel vans and cutting the body off to make a chassis cowl!!

I fancy an automatic with the semi autonomous driving (reads speed limit signs and adjusts speed limiter etc as I tend to forget what the speed limit is), but intend to wait till supply eases and they are offering serious discounts again.

Archived