Engine Oil leak from 1996 Ducato

Guest Robin Martin

Guest Robin Martin
I have an oil leak from the offside (where all the pulleys are!) of my 1.9 Turbo Deisel Ducato. It started as an occaisional drip whilst standing over winter and now leaves several drips after a run. Is there a common cause of this on this engine? Thanks Robin

Guest Paul W
Not sure on the Ducato as we have the Peugeot Boxer version, but if it is the same sort of layout you would be wise to track it down as on the Boxer that is the end that the cambelt is and if that gets oil on it it is one of the causes of cambelt failure. I had a Peugeot 405 car that had a leak from the camshaft oil seal at the top of the engine but because of the covers over the cam belt it only showed as a drip (very small) at the bottom on that side. I was lucky in that I had the cambelt changed for mileage and when it was removed the belt was starting to go gooey and the metal interier was showing through, so it was caught just in time. according to the chap that changed it it is one of the commonist causes of early failure.

Guest Robin Martin
Update on oil leak The oil leak does seem to be something to do with the crankcase breather. There is a 'gizmo' just behind the fuel pump that is attached to the block in some way (can't see for all the plumbing). It has a couple of pipes going into it. There seems to be a 'fiz' between it and where it is atached to the block. Doeas anyone know what this gizmo is and if this is a likely cause of my leak? Thanks Robin

Archived