Entry level Motorhome for two

Guest Eric

Guest Eric
In anticipation of retiring in a few years time I am researching the used motorhome market and would like to know what would be considered suitable as an entry level motorhome which is comfortable and space enough for two persons touring UK and France.As this is completely new to me any advice would be appreciated.

our first van was swift lifesyle 520 lovely sized van it is perfect for two people hope this helps you good luck jim

Guest David
Hi Eric, It depends on what you want. If you want space for lounging, carrying your gear etc, all need to be taken into consideration. Some five years ago we moved on from a good size caravan to a six berth motorhome, we never used all the bed space but we certainly used the living space. Think about a wet period when you are sitting around inside, do you like to be cosy or comfortable. We have just bought what is classed as an entry level Motorhome. An Ace Milano it is designated as a five berth. We consider it about the right size for two of us and the occasional week end with the two Grandchildren. How big a bed do you want, length as well as width. Our old motorhome had a narrow double, this one has the option of a reasonable double or make it into a large double by using the single as well. Have a look around the dealers and shows see whats on the market. Dont be hasty sit in them, get the beds down and see the size. How much locker space do you need. Dont be tempted by extra storage with a top box. They decrease your MPG and speed, also it could be fitted by screwing into the roof, nasty holes to let water in, be warned. At the end of the day it is what you feel comfortable in. Good luck. David.

Guest henry
hello there, er have the same requirements as you, but love our Hymer 534 and wouldn't swap ( at the moment) for anything. It really is down to personal preference but go to the dealers and try everything including the shower with the door shut and then buy privatly! regards Henry

A 12 year old Autotrail on a Mercedes chassis will be a solid motorhome at a good price. It all depends on your budget and expected lifestyle. I know some who have downsized from a coach built to a panel van conversion - but only because they wouldnt pass another medical! If you only want the odd days out then small is convienient, but if you want to be out and about for weeks then you need S P A C E. Good luck

Guest David Powell
The making, or preparing beds, or the bed is another important thing to consider at length. If it means fitting a lot of cushions together like a jig-saw puzzle, which some are, imagine what it would be like doing it every night, and un-doing it all in the morning, not to mention discomfort. Two single beds/settees are easiest, or if you like a double, an easy option is a 'van with a settee on one side only, just pull out the settee seat and the back drops down, so you have a double with a full length cushion each. After that they get progressively more fiddley and continue onward to be anoying. It is all in the mind, and what you would prefer, That is just a little thought of mine which may be of some help to you in your search. Good luck, see you in a field one day

Guest Derek Uzzell
As you have no motorhome background, before you try to narrow down which particular makes/models might suit you, I would strongly advise you to buy John Wickersham's "The Motorcaravan Manual" (Haynes Publishing). Besides essential information on technical subjects, this book includes guidance on the pros and cons of the different types of motorhome design and on buying and using motorcaravans. "An entry level motorhome which is comfortable and space enough for two persons touring UK and France" means different things to different people. I recall meeting in France (on separate occasions) two couples who had just spent some months touring there. The one couple had a few-years-old Auto-Sleepers Trooper (well under 5m in length, rising-roof, no shower, no air-heating), while the other had a much more elderly RV (near to 9m long, all singing and dancing facilities known to man). Both vehicles probably had a similar not-too-dear second-hand value and (I assume) both couples must have considered them suitable for their needs. Tom mentions budget and expected lifestyle. "Entry level" suggests you have a budgetary limit in mind, though you haven't stated it. If you are considering forking out up to (say) £25K, then there's a huge range of vehicles to choose from: if your top-whack is £10K, then your options will be far more restricted. Expected lifestyle is perhaps the hardest thing for a novice motorcaravanner to be firm about. Before we bought a motorhome, we envisaged spending our spare time touring the UK staying on campsites, but instead immediately began wandering round France over-nighting on farms and aires de services. A motorhome that's beautifully adapted for semi-static campsite living may reveal serious limitations if you regularly 'wild camp'. Nothing beats practical experience and, as you are looking some way ahead, you could consider gaining some in the interim by hiring a motorhome for a week or so. It might be worth you having a copy of my FREE home-grown Buyers Guide. This document attempts to address the good and bad sides of motorhome design and also touches on the dreaded "Will the payload be adequate?" question. Please e-mail me on derek.uzzell@talk21.com if you want a copy.

Guest martin h
having just entered the motorhoming world ourselves we asked advice from the dealership in Germany that we bought from. Julien from Palmowzki said that we should imagine ourselves actualy using the vehicle and ask ourselves what will WE realy need and want to do. The main thing were how much room do we need? do we realy want to make a bed every time we want to sleep or lie together in comfort? do we want to cimb first up a ladder to sleep, then over eachother to get out?the british seem to be obsessed with "u" shaped lounges, but who wants to travel the world in a replica of our chincey old homes, then sit in it watching tv all night then construct a bed or beds for a few houres? Get a motorhome from abroad for a price miles behind GB prices and have a look at how they use their space. Then try not to live like old fogies.(get a fixed double bed its so much easier)

Guest David Powell
Yes Martin...you have a very sound point with fixed beds, the ultimate in sleeping comfort I believe. We have been seriously looking at them for some time, but have found that the 4ft gap is a bit awkward for making the bed through, and the loo/bath room squeezed in beside the bed is a bit cramped. The L.M.C., Hobby, Hymer etc are beautiful but it means having a much bigger 'van, and an even bigger price tag, plus, over 3500Kg, putting them out of bounds for us over 70. I can't help but wonder why 'tip up' beds went out of fashion. Back in the 50s we and our next door nieghbour had vans with 'tip ups'. In the morning you made them, a canvas wrap was then pulled over from each side and strapped together to hold all the bedding in place, then, hinged at the head, it tipped up, spring assisted, into the bulkhead between the living room and the kitchen. Under it was a 6ft settee along the outer wall, put the cushions and back on it, and fold down the table that was hinged onto the bottom of the tipped up bed and "Hey presto" dining area. So easy at night in reverse, click up the table, slide the cushions onto the floor, pull the bed down, undo three buckles, and flop in. "The good old days"

Guest David Powell
P.S. to my (9) It had a coal fire with hot water tank and airing cupboard above it. Burned anthrocite P.9....stop laughing! it's not funny you know, also had single glazed glass windows with wooden frames, wedged them open a little bit with half a clothes peg so the condensation dripped outside.

Archived