European Welcome ?

witzend

We have been touring the Charente-Maritime for the last ten days no problems at all. Not seen many brits except at Niort (3)

Pulled up at a busy lakeside aire last night only one very tight space left, nose to tail not side by side, two Frenchmen guided me in all smiles and Bonjors.

Mixed attitude to masks when shopping or eating, we only eat where we could sit outside, all staff wearing masks, but some shops no customers wearing them, other shops not allowed in without one. Diesel averaged 1.19 to 1,23 per lt.

I have just returned from a short trip to Germany in the van, everyone very friendly in Germany and the French all said hello at the aire just outside Calais last night, guess its going to depend on how we behave and how we respect any local Covid requirements eg in Germany you needed a face mask to go inside and pay at the petrol station

Had an email from a campsite in Croatia, they are delighted we are going there. I wouldn’t read too much into the polls, they don’t represent the majority.

rael - 2020-07-11 2:59 PM

Had an email from a campsite in Croatia, they are delighted we are going there. I wouldn’t read too much into the polls, they don’t represent the majority.

Of course the campsites pleased to see you as a Paying Guest as for the Poll not representing the majority

It was a You gov poll of 1000 people per country. I'm pretty sure it would be a cross section of the demographic by age, marital status and occupational status.

We live in Lot et Garonne, on the border with Dordogne and find that the local Brit facebook page indicates that the main concerns about holidaying Brits come from the expats. There have been several vitriolic posts aimed not just at holidaymakers but also second home owners here. In many ways it is understandable as the population here has many elderly residents, many of whom also have serious underlying medical conditions, but the French are just glad of the money which keeps their villages alive. The restaurants may have reopened but the footfall is not what it was and we only go out to shop when necessary, and it’s always a brief visit. Night markets are starting up but with more social distancing and fewer stalls etc. I needed to go into our village on Saturday morning where we have a small market. It was very busy and hardly anyone wearing masks, French or British. It’s up to you to keep safe but do come and enjoy our lovely lifestyle . The French will welcome you!

rael - 2020-07-11 3:59 PM

Croatia will be red listed quite soon. Several hotspots emerged over the past three weeks. They're already seeing more cases than in the first wave

spirou - 2020-07-14 10:48 AM

rael - 2020-07-11 3:59 PM

Croatia will be red listed quite soon. Several hotspots emerged over the past three weeks. They're already seeing more cases than in the first wave

This is a bit of a mis representation, maybe even scaremongering, Croatia has had very few Covid 19 deaths in total and is the envy of many countries. The increase in positive tests (not deaths) was quickly attended to with travel restrictions from the Baltic countries it was coming from. The total country has had less than 1/3rd of the deaths of Leicester alone. What was the purpose of the post other than envy

There are only two reasons Croatian borders are open at this time... They had an election this past weekend and needed every single right wing voter back home. And two, tourism is 25%+ of their economy and they are wiling to trade political favors with neighboring countries to not block their borders in the face of rapidly increasing case numbers in the middle of the season. Our prime ministers had a meeting a few days ago where conditions for keeping the border open was the only thing on the agenda. We obliged with some creative statistics. But if they continue with business as usual they will soon have an out of control situation just like some parts of Serbia. So let's say I'm a lot more familiar with this part of the world than Leicester.

PS I also wouldn't mind going over the border while most tourists are missing. It would be heaven on one of the remote islands. It hasn't been this empty since 95. But alas, my holidays don't start for another month. The difference between me and someone driving all the way from UK is that it's a 1-4h drive home in case they decide to implement some stricter protocols. And I know a lot (and am allowed to use) tiny border crossings where crowds are easily avoided.

Edit: right after posting this I saw some news with a clear example of creative statistics mentioned above. They are now yellow/red listing specific municipalities. City of Zagreb is now just under the limit for red, and only 2 coastal municipalities are still green.

spirou - 2020-07-14 1:42 PM

There are only two reasons Croatian borders are open at this time... They had an election this past weekend and needed every single right wing voter back home. And two, tourism is 25%+ of their economy and they are wiling to trade political favors with neighboring countries to not block their borders in the face of rapidly increasing case numbers in the middle of the season. Our prime ministers had a meeting a few days ago where conditions for keeping the border open was the only thing on the agenda. We obliged with some creative statistics. But if they continue with business as usual they will soon have an out of control situation just like some parts of Serbia. So let's say I'm a lot more familiar with this part of the world than Leicester.

PS I also wouldn't mind going over the border while most tourists are missing. It would be heaven on one of the remote islands. It hasn't been this empty since 95. But alas, my holidays don't start for another month. The difference between me and someone driving all the way from UK is that it's a 1-4h drive home in case they decide to implement some stricter protocols. And I know a lot (and am allowed to use) tiny border crossings where crowds are easily avoided.

Edit: right after posting this I saw some news with a clear example of creative statistics mentioned above. They are now yellow/red listing specific municipalities. City of Zagreb is now just under the limit for red, and only 2 coastal municipalities are still green.

Thats useful information, thanks. Which coastal municpalities are still green? We have a 'reservation' for 5 days at a campsite in Starigrad-Paklenica on the coast about 50km north-east of Zadar. We have benn there before and the campsite has large, well spread out pitches. I'm updating myself on various websites constantly so am as up to date on travel restrictions in transit countries, as I can be. It doesn't help that the various Croatian government websites have produced conflicting information. However, that's pretty much the same story here in England! I'm aware that at the moment we (UK) can only transit Slovenia and Austria. At the end of the day our plans are not set in stone. If it starts to look a bit too risky we will change our plans and go elsewhere, probably just stay in France and a bit of Spain.

spirou - 2020-07-14 6:35 PM

Areas around Zadar are in yellow. Green ones are in Istrian peninsula, Rijeka and Krk/Cres/Rab/Losinj islands. Eastern end of the country is in red.

Very useful, thanks. Is there a weblink to this information?

spirou - 2020-07-15 7:17 PM

What this doesn't tell you is per-capita (or rather, per 100.000 as is usual) comparable numbers https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/geographical-distribution-2019-ncov-cases

This is a good indicator of what's happening in Europe, as mentioned above, Croatia to date very impressive

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1111779/coronavirus-death-rate-europe-by-country/

Archived