European travel

Phil and Lol

First, do you mean Europe (the geographical area) or the EU? If you mean the EU, your UK driving licence is valid throughout all EU countries (providing it is properly valid in UK for the class of vehicle you will be driving. You must carry your driving licence with you, plus your insurance certificate, plus your vehicle registration document (V5C).

The only road taxes you may have to pay - depending on where you actually go and the roads you select - are tolls for some motorways, tunnels and bridges. In some cases (usually local) you pay for access, in many cases (e.g France, Italy) you take a ticket on entry and pay to exit, and in a number of cases (eg Austria, Hungary) you must first buy a vignette, either electronic (for which you usually get a printed receipt showing your vehicle registration number, as proof of purchase) or adhesive (Switzerland, which, remember, is not EU). France particularly has an automated toll system (Liber-T) that involves the purchase of a transponder that you attach to your windscreen, which will be recognised by readers at the Liber-T auto-toll entry lanes, deducting the toll charge from your account (usually a credit card account) as you pass through.

I'm not sure that the following is always definitive, but it is a good starting point.

(The Slovenian arrangements for over 3.5t are, for example, out of date having reasonably recently changed).

https://www.tolls.eu

The headline items generally refer to vehicles not exceeding 3.5t, but following a country entry will usually give you information on those things that apply over that weight (and also provides further, toll-specific links).

I saw a site that listed the various green ‘badges’ and zones around Europe including ‘Critair’ fir France and ‘Grune Punkt’ fir Germany but I can’t currently find it. Perhaps someone on here isn’t having a ‘senior moment’ and can post the missing link

Just a clarification on Slovenia... the situation is now exactly the same as in Austria. Under 3.5t you need a sticker to use motorways. Over 3.5 you need a transponder box (DARSGo). You can get both at the border and probably most motorway service stations in neighbouring countries.

Dickybeau - 2018-08-25 10:36 AM

I saw a site that listed the various green ‘badges’ and zones around Europe including ‘Critair’ fir France and ‘Grune Punkt’ fir Germany but I can’t currently find it. Perhaps someone on here isn’t having a ‘senior moment’ and can post the missing link

There are a few, though this one is pretty good:

http://urbanaccessregulations.eu/

Notably because it doesn't offer to act as an agent to buy permits at inflated prices, it posts links to recommended, and generally cheaper 'official' suppliers (though note that, where alternate suppliers are flagged, one may still be significantly cheaper than the other e.g. they link to the much recommended and used Berlin state site for Germany (€6 delivered) but also TÜV Nord, which will cost you €17.50 as an overseas customer).

I fear the answer to your question is no. However, I’m not being flippant when I say that this forum is as good a place as any to obtain that information. If you ask for information then someone will be able to supply it or point you towards a website where it can be found. Perhaps not the answer you were hoping for but nevertheless I know from experience that it works.

Cattwg :-D

Archived