Eurotunnel & Lpg tanks.

Pat

Hi does anyone know if we can travel the Eurotunnel with our diesel powered RV fitted with a fixed Lpg tank? When I asked this question of Eurotunnel by e'mail I got a mixed reply! A copy of which follows. (Campervans and other recreational vehicles which have LPG containers (as opposed to gas bottles) to power domestic services e.g. heating and refrigeration are accepted on the condition that the tanks are no more than 80% full and will be subject to inspection. Regards Sales Support Team PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR ORIGINAL E-MAIL WITH ANY REPLY Eurotunnel Contact Centre We regret that vehicles fitted with an LPG or CNG tank cannot be accepted for transport by Eurotunnel). This is confusing to say the least Regards Pat

Guest Brian Ramsden
The first reply refers to gas tanks for use in the "caravan" i.e domestic use and the second to gas tanks for propulsion purposes, so the answer is, yes, unless your gas tank is used to propel the vehicle. There is a limit to the size of the tank they allow, but I am not sure what it is. All this information is set out in detail on their web site. Brian

My understanding is that all refillable tanks have a built-in safety device that prevents you from filling them more than 80%. Hope this is useful.

Hello Bill We were looking at the refillables that MTH do at the Shepton Mallet Show last week. Their plastic refillables we were told did not have an 80% cut off only the heavier metal ones. Pat they also have to be permanently fitted. Trixie

Guest david lloyd
Hi - forgive me for being a little confused but does this mean that motorhomes with traditional calor bottled gas for domestic use cannot travel by eurotunnel? regards, david

Guest Derek Uzzell
Search forum on "eurotunnel" (omitting the quotes) - Don Madge's "LPG" posting of 14/12/2005 refers. MTH composite gas-bottles do indeed NOT have 80% stop-fill valves (although, as Trixie says, the metal ones do). As far as I'm aware 'Calor-type' bottles should present no Eurotunnel problems, though I think there might be a limit to the number you can carry (3?).

Guest Brian Ramsden
I have lost count of the number of times I have been though the Tunnel with Calor gas bottles. The only proviso is that you can not have more than the total quantity of gas that they stipulate - and since this is more than my gas locker will hold I have never really registered what that total is, but it is quite high. To reiterate, the rules are:- Prpulsion gas totally prohibited - even if the tank is empty, apparently. Domstic gas - Total quantity limited - Fixed tanks must not be more than 80% full. There is no such limitation for portable bottles. - All tanks and bottles must be turned off at the tank/bottle. If you have gas you will be given a red sticker at check-in and then after passport/customs control you proceed down the high vehicles route to a barrier just before boarding, where your gas will be checked. It almost goes without saying that this is only on boarding in the UK - there are no checks when you come back! Brian

Guest david lloyd
Thanks everyone - we hope to be taking advantage of the tunnel in late May - have enough Tesco Clubcard vouchers for a return crossing! David

Hi There Below is a copy of Eurotunnels terms and conditions regarding LPG Tanks I have also included the Reserve Fuel Containers bit as well Note this has just been taken from there web site today LPG Vehicles fitted with LPG containers to power domestic services e.g. cooking, refrigeration, heating and water heaters are accepted as long as the containers are switched off, weigh no more than 47kg and are not more than 80% full. If your vehicle is fitted with such a container, you must declare this at Check-In. LPG (Liquefied Petroleum Gas) and dual powered vehicles (i.e. vehicles fitted with an LPG tank as an alternative fuel) cannot be accepted for transport by Eurotunnel. Reserve Fuel Containers You are allowed to carry ( plastic containers designed for the purpose) A maximum of two size 5Lt. containers = 10 Lt. You are allowed to carry ( metal containers designed for the purpose) A maximum of two size 10 Lt. containers = 20 Lt. A maximum of total 20 Lt. in containers is allowed

Hi There Below is a copy of Eurotunnels terms and conditions regarding LPG Tanks I have also included the Reserve Fuel Containers bit as well Note this has just been taken from there web site today LPG Vehicles fitted with LPG containers to power domestic services e.g. cooking, refrigeration, heating and water heaters are accepted as long as the containers are switched off, weigh no more than 47kg and are not more than 80% full. If your vehicle is fitted with such a container, you must declare this at Check-In. LPG (Liquefied Petroleum Gas) and dual powered vehicles (i.e. vehicles fitted with an LPG tank as an alternative fuel) cannot be accepted for transport by Eurotunnel. Reserve Fuel Containers You are allowed to carry ( plastic containers designed for the purpose) A maximum of two size 5Lt. containers = 10 Lt. You are allowed to carry ( metal containers designed for the purpose) A maximum of two size 10 Lt. containers = 20 Lt. A maximum of total 20 Lt. in containers is allowed

Guest davdi lloyd
Hi MelB If you shop at Tesco and register for their Clubcard scheme (plastic loyalty card) every time you make a purchase of food, petrol etc you are credited with points which are redeemed as vouchers every three months or so. The vouchers have a face value which you can choose to redeem against your shopping or alternatively you can choose from a variety of different things to spend them on in a booklet they will send to you. The advantage of choosing something out of the booklet (like the eurotunnel tickets for example) is that the vouchers are redeemed for 4x their face value!! In the last year of shopping and petrol from Tesco (just for the two of us) we received £49 worth of clubcard vouchers which gives us £196 toward something from the offers booklet - plenty to get a eurotunnel crossing. Well worth the hassle of shopping I'd say. david

hello David Re the tesco shopping & vouchers. Do you have to send away for the bookelet of items you can spend the vouchers on or is sent automatically. Thankyou

Guest david lloyd
Hi trixie Once you have registered for a clubcard at Tesco you don't have to do anything else until you are ready to spend the points. Every time you shop there they will swipe the card at the till then send you the vouchers every 3 months or so. Tesco will automatically send you the offers booklet too - for the eurotunnel offer I just sent in my £49 worth of clubcard vouchers from last years shopping and Tesco sent back £196 worth of vouchers toward my eurotunnel ticket which I will book in the normal way when ready (I have up to six months to book the ticket). Just enquire and register at your local store then use the card at any Tesco store or petrol station. Good Luck, david

Guest Brian Ramsden
The Tesco's points on a Club Card are earned at 1 point for every £ spent in store. If you take out a Tesco's credit card, which combines as a Club Card and an ordinary Visa credit card, then you earn 1 point for each £ spent in Tesco and ½ a point for every £ spent using the card elsewhere. If you can use these points for your tunnel crossing you are effectively getting a 2% discount on everything you buy with the card outside Tesco and a 4% discount on everything you spend in Tesco. Brian

Archived