Extended European trip + DVLA/Insurance

Guest Scot Bower

Guest Scot Bower
hello all am hoping that a seasoned traveller can help me out in what will probably be the first of many questions! My family and I are selling up and taking the opportunity to travel in and around Europe we will (hoepfully) be gone for over a year. i called the DVLA today to find out about tax and MOT requirements whilst abroad and it looks like everything is dandy providing you dont stay longer than 12mths anything longer than that and i appear to enter a "grey area" and i would have to register then 'van in whatever country i happened to be in at the time! i was told that i could keep the vehicle registered in teh UK, which would be fine until the vehicle had to be retaxed a next year at which point the MOT would be out of date!?! does anybody out there have a solution? do i really have to come back for an MOT? How does this sit with an insurer, if the vehicle was registered in Spain coudl i insure it from the UK? :( many thanks in advance of some help (or sympathy!)

Guest PeteC
Know of peole who still have an address here in UK het come home fro short hols - Christmas etc by air (£50 ret from Alicante) then re tax the van when they are home but dont know what they do about MOT certs Spain allows 90 days but if you are moving on how do theyknow?

We met a couple in France who return for a day trip each year for MOT tax etc. They have bought a property in Dodogne which the let out during the Summer while travelling with their van. It seems crazy but thats what they were having to do.

In my view you will be unable to get a Mot in Gib and therefore will be unable to renew your excise license.However that should not be too much of a problem providing you make the situation crystal clear to your insurance company.Nearly all the ex-pats in Spain drive Brit reg cars with no excise displayed.Just prior to your return to the UK make an appointment with a garage near the port for a MOT and then your journey from the ferry to the garage will be legal.

Archived