External BBQ point, pressure?

rooster63

Been looking at gas BBQs to run off an BBQ point fitted to our new (to us) camper van which has an underslung tank. Bit confused as to whether that point will be low or high pressure as looking at the Cadac BBQs they seem to have 2 versions one for high pressure and one for low pressure. Some of the advice given by retailers as to which one to go for seems to conflict. The gas outlet just says bullfinch and I was given a bullfinch connector with the van, neither are marked with the pressure. Can I assume that the pressure would be regulated on the tank outlet for all the outlets eg fridge, cooker etc and so would be about 30mb for the BBQ point as well?

rooster63 - 2021-04-22 1:10 PM

...Can I assume that the pressure would be regulated on the tank outlet for all the outlets eg fridge, cooker etc and so would be about 30mb for the BBQ point as well?

As your motorhome has a fixed LPG tank, it’s near-as-dammit certain that the pipework leading to the BBQ gas-outlet in the Bullfinch ‘box’ is part of the motohome’s habitation-area gas system that feeds gas to the heater, fridge and oven/hob. Consequently the gas pressure at the BBQ gas-outlet will be whatever pressure the gas regulator outputs at - normally 30mbar - and, if you buy a Cadac BBQ, you’ll need a ‘high pressure’ version that does not have its own regulator.

(If your motorhome had gas-bottles, the (small) possibility would exist that some daft b***er might have connected the BBQ point ‘upstream’ of an onboard bulkhead-mounted 30mbar regulator where a propane gas-bottle might be delivering gas at (say) 10bar.)

Archived