External BBQ safety valve stuck

laimeduck

The spigot on this external gas point is stuck in the valve, and the tap will not move. As the label in the photo shows, the tap cannot be turned unless the spigot is in place.

This means that to use the point I have to attach/detach the rubber hose with jubilee clip each time, and then ensure the gas is isolated after each use at the control tap under the sink. (There are a series of taps, one for each gas appliance).

It's not a real problem but it would be easier simply to release the spigot attached to the hose!

I have looked to replace the safety valve, but it seems you can only buy the complete housing (including the box and flap)

which I really don't want to do.

Anyone any idea if the unit comes apart and can be serviced/repaired? (or if the tap unit is available separately?)

Thanks

Jeremy

694992570_mabelbbqgaspoint.jpg.1fac1efb557bc034d667e26a8348cb2f.jpg

How about this

http://www.gasit.co.uk/leisure-gas-refillable-products/7-gas-pipes-pigtails-and-vapour-tank-accessories/1-way-8mm-tap-manifold-with-quick-connection.html

There’s a photo of what looks rather like your BBQ point in this 2013 forum thread

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Gaslow-bbq/31819/

but I don’t know if you could get an exacr like-for-like replacement nowadays.

Jeremy,

I hope you already know but just in case you don't, you can only remove the spigot when the tap is correctly in the 'Off' position. The rear of the red tap blocks the collar from moving to the release position, so you will have to get the tap turn in order to remove the spigot.

Have you tried soaking in release oil and working the tap back and fore?

Keith.

Keithl - 2020-07-04 3:37 PM

Jeremy,

I hope you already know but just in case you don't, you can only remove the spigot when the tap is correctly in the 'Off' position. The rear of the red tap blocks the collar from moving to the release position, so you will have to get the tap turn in order to remove the spigot.

Have you tried soaking in release oil and working the tap back and fore?

Keith.

Keith thanks - I did know this, hence my comment that "The tap can only be turned when the spigot is in place"

I rather think something has broken inside the mechanism jamming the tap, so the tap won't turn fully and is quite loose for the amount it does turn , thus I can't remove the spigot.

Therefore I don't think release oil will be effective.

I'll see if I can remove the tap, investigate & if necessary buy Derek's suggestion from Gasit.

Jeremy

Derek Uzzell - 2020-07-04 2:18 PM

How about this

http://www.gasit.co.uk/leisure-gas-refillable-products/7-gas-pipes-pigtails-and-vapour-tank-accessories/1-way-8mm-tap-manifold-with-quick-connection.html

There’s a photo of what looks rather like your BBQ point in this 2013 forum thread

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Gaslow-bbq/31819/

but I don’t know if you could get an exacr like-for-like replacement nowadays.

Derek thanks for this. I failed to find the tap alone on my Google search?

You are obviously more adept than me - must be all that workout on the trampoline you do? Tee Hee!

laimeduck - 2020-07-04 3:51 PM

...hence my comment that "The tap can only be turned when the spigot is in place"

It was actually the opposite I was trying to stress, that the spigot can only be removed when the tap is off but I gather you already knew that.

Cheers and good luck,

Keith.

Without going and have a look, I don't recall how the QR hose connects- detaches, but at some stage there is a slidey part that has to be used to attach or remove the hose in conjunction with the red knob. Is this stuck?

B-)

lancepar - 2020-07-04 4:58 PM

Without going and have a look, I don't recall how the QR hose connects- detaches, but at some stage there is a slidey part that has to be used to attach or remove the hose in conjunction with the red knob. Is this stuck?

B-)

Lance hi

The slidey part you refer to is the spigot itself.

On my photo that is the brass tube to the RHS of the red tap.

There is a "shoulder" on one end of this small spigot which, when pushed into the hole in the tap engages with "something inside", and also facilitates the tap to turn on and off.

You cannot extract the spigot without turning the tap to "Off" (for obvious safety reasons)

I cannot turn the tap to off, so can't extract the spigot!

I imagine that it is the "something inside" the tap that has broken and has jammed the tap?

Jeremy

Jeremy,

The 'interlock' between the red knob and the brass release collar is a shaped profile on the rear of the red knob.

If you look carefully you will see protrusions to the rear of the red knob which prevent turning of the knob without a spigot being inserted (the release collar jumps out when a spigot is inserted) or movement of the release collar when the tap is in the on position.

It is possible that either the protrusions on the red knob have got jammed on the brass release collar or the shaft of the valve has corroded and seized.

Keith.

Having compared with mine, the picture looks like the collar (which restricts the turning of the knob) is at the "fully inserted" position as it is hard up against the hex-end.

Accordingly, this in itself shouldn't be obstructing the knob (as obstruction should only be the case if nothing is inserted). As Keith says, it is the movement of the collar, which results from the insertion/removal of the "spigot", which inhibits/facilitates the turning of the knob.

I must admit that, if you're getting gas flow with the knob in the position you've pictured then I am surprised (I suspect you've simply used it to show how far it can be turned before it will go no further?)

Removal of the knob should allow the collar to be moved, and then the spigot might be removable. I'm not sure, however, how the knob is retained - It may be pull-off, there may be a retaining screw under the label (I'm not removing mine to check ;-) ) or it may be semi-permanently fitted as its a safety item.

Whatever, I'd say the problem was firmly with the tap.

Keithl and Robinhood thanks - If it's not raining tomorrow I'll see if I can undo the union tomorrow and remove the whole thing.

Then I'll better be able to investigate on the bench!

It's all down at knee level just behind the passenger cab door & with dodgy knees and eyesight not as sharp as it once was, a bit difficult to work on!

Jeremy

This 2018 forum discussion may be of interest

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/External-Quick-Release-Gas-Fitting/49027/

I’m pretty sure Jeremy’s external gas point (including the box) is a Reich product (image attached below) with a Part Number of 752010. The complete item may still be available (example advert here)

https://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/reich-gas-supply.html

but - as Jeremy says in his initial posting - replacing the complete housing would require a lot more work (and cost) than just replacing the valve alone.

(One caveat - the GAS-IT valve is designed to attach to 8mm metal pipework. This size is often used in motorhomes, but 10mm pipework is fairly common too. Worth Jeremy checking the outside-diameter of the metal pipe that connects to the valve just in case...)

reich_gas_supply__05436__67271.1347787149_1280_1280.jpg.ed6e68166b1ec5b607fd1cb4a6ca04fc.jpg

Problem solved but tap broken!

I managed to remove the unit and could immediately see that the sliding collar was unable to slide back because it was hitting the "skirt" of the red plastic knob. The knob would only turn about 1/4 and was very loose. The skirt has 2 scallops so that when in the off position the collar can slide back BUT when the tap is in the on position the skirt prevents this.Simple but effective. And that is where it was stuck.

There is no way to remove this knob, (no screw and it refused to lever off) so I resolved to saw off the skirt on one side.

Et voila! The collar can now slide back and the spigot released.

The shaft of the tap is no longer fully attached to the red plastic knob and the shaft is jammed in the open position.

The spigot is held in place by 4 ball bearings which operate when the collar is moved. See the photos.

Now I could replace, as it seems to be 8mm pipe fitting, but why bother? I can turn the gas off under the sink & isolate this BBQ point (which is what I do as a matter of course now anyway)

The spigot is now firmly jubilee clipped onto the pipe of the double burner portable gas hob, and it is simply a case of slide the collar, push in the spigot and off we go.

Thanks to Keith, Derek & Robin for your help.

Jeremy

gas1.jpg.625b92654086f672bbc8feb9e0b35eca.jpg

gas2.jpg.8ef33967e9a7c351c226ee148b0bac55.jpg

gas3.jpg.360e0a95b55c25e92ffe7499d9631464.jpg

gas4.jpg.b3244a605b3dc11fc0d8bee9f71bf7ac.jpg

laimeduck - 2020-07-05 1:22 PM

Now I could replace, as it seems to be 8mm pipe fitting, but why bother? ....

Jeremy

...that's much as expected.

It's your call, but you've now removed one original safety measure. Prior to the modification, the spigot couldn't be removed without ensuring that the outlet was isolated by that knob. That no longer applies (though it's not that different from your immediately prior practice of removing the flexible gas pipe).

I might choose to re-implement that safety measure (though TBF, I don't think mine, factory-fitted, has an additional internal isolator. It certainly doesn't have a dedicated one, though it may be Tee'd of one of the other manifold branches - the one for the cooker would always have been in use whilst using the external point).

I'm now off to check. ;-)

Seem to recall that when doing something in the wrong order that when turning the red knob on mine it came apart, split in two halves and I popped it back together, or I may have had to glue it back together, can't remember..

BTW Jeremy, Madass did the job for me, It's now ripping around Ireland with a new owner.

B-)

lancepar - 2020-07-05 4:10 PM

BTW Jeremy, Madass did the job for me, It's now ripping around Ireland with a new owner.

B-)

Oh ... well done! Mine's still going strong. Gets a ride up the lane from time to time just to turn her over.

It will be possible to restore function adequately by installing a standard gas cock and then a quick release female fitting, both of which are available from plumbers merchants. I used this method to install a pair of take-off supply points by teeing into the regulated copper supply pipe inside the gas locker, one for the BBQ and the other for a generator (which I no longer use).

If it was mine,as it appears that the gasit tap that Derek linked to earlier -(and also linked to the thread which included my photo of the one that I fitted into a previous van ) - would pretty much be

a like for like replacement ,for the sub 30 quid involved, I'd save the messing and penny pinching and fit one of them. ;-)

I think I'll just stick with what I've got. We've lived with it for 2 years, but It'll be easier now the spigot comes out.

When in operation there are 2 shutoffs in operation, the taps on the stove itself and the tap under the sink.

We use the tap under the sink to isolate the gas take off on every use of the stove outside.

Plus when we drive, we always close the main gas tap at the cylinder.

We have no intention of changing the van as it suits our needs and we have customised it quite a bit, but if we ever did sell, I would change the tap.

Jeremy

Archived