External insulated screens - fastenings

brom

We've been researching external insulated screens for our VW T6 conversion.

We have owned two sets of Polar Screens (made by Minster Products of Sheffield), first for a T5, and latterly, for a Sevel, and have been very satisfied with both.

We contacted both Minster (the makers), and Van Comfort (from whom we bought the screens). T6 Polar Screens are still available at a reasonable price, BUT one of the key features we really liked is no longer available: the magnetic fasteners used to hold the bottom edges of the cab window screens taut to the metal.

It seems they have been known to blow off the van in high winds, and cause damage to the doors. In our experience, this wasn't a problem - if it's very windy, it won't be frosty, and condensation is unlikely to form on unscreened windows, so we wouldn't use the magnets in those conditions.

The Polar Screens also came with soft material ties to fasten round the door handles (in a bow) - a belt and braces approach, which suited us.

Looking at alternative insulated screens, from Silver Screens, Taylormade and Van Comfort's main brand, Hindemanns, it's quite difficult to tell what method is used to secure the lower edge of the screens where they fit over the cab doors. Hindemanns seems to use cords hooked over the wheelarch, which we fear might cause friction on the paintwork. Other makes seem to use clips around the door handles - not keen on that, either.

What do others think?

brom - 2018-12-14 7:00 PM

if it's very windy, it won't be frosty, and condensation is unlikely to form on unscreened windows, so we wouldn't use the magnets in those conditions.

.....................................................................................

What do others think?

You will not get external frost in such conditions, it will be a "black frost". However low external temperatures will still cause internal condensation, and perhaps frost.

Alan

We use SilverScreens, and I’ve always thought that the bottom edge, along the door leaves a lot to be desired, and that a magnetic solution would be good.

In all other respects they are good.

Maybe I’ll look for some magnetic, flexible plastic strip that I can glue onto the inside face of th3 Screens.

Long pSt their warranty, so no problems.

So where do I get the magnetic strip, aAmazon I guess

Snowie

snowie - 2018-12-14 8:40 PM

So where do I get the magnetic strip, at Amazon I guess

Snowie

Snowie,

I cannot remember which recent thread or post, but old freezer door seals were suggest as a source of magnetic strips. However I am doubtful that glueing them to silver screens would work, and what happens to the strips when you repack the screens.

Alan

I also tuck the lower edge of our silver screen under the wipers. If it is at all windy, I stop the wipers in a vertical position on the windscreen before placing them over the silver screen. I also got Mrs D to sew a length of double sided Velcro to each side of the lower edge of the silver screens in a position just forward of the door handles. A lot of the time I don't use the Velcro and leave it tucked between the silver screen and the window glass, but if I want to eliminate the gap between the screen and the door it is simply a matter of passing the velco strip through the door handle and tensioning the silver screen between the windscreen pillars and the door handles before wrapping it over itself to secure them.

Alanb - 2018-12-14 8:58 PM

...I cannot remember which recent thread or post, but old freezer door seals were suggest as a source of magnetic strips. However I am doubtful that glueing them to silver screens would work, and what happens to the strips when you repack the screens.

Alan

It was probably me that suggested butchering the rubber seals of scrapped freezers’ doors to extract the magnetic strips within the seals. I’ve used the strip to prevent tambour doors on motorhome lockers from sliding about or rattling but (like you) I’m doubtful that ex-freezer strips would be strong enough magneticaly for use on external insulated screens.

‘Rare earth’ magnets are available (example advert here)

https://www.first4magnets.com/neodymium-t137

and some of these have a massive pull-strength.

Thanks, all.

I think we'll probably buy some more Polar Screens (at around £125, they're reasonably affordable and good quality), and ask Minster to incorporate the powerful magnets that Derek helpfully mentioned (shouldn't be any problem with wind shifting THEM!)

Alternatively, it shouldn't be too difficult to make the removable pouches oneself, to house individual magnets, and attach them to the screen material by velcro.

Our silver screen fitted around the van to the cab doors, Was very tight, and could never have moved in the wind.

I guess on an A Class van, where you do not have 2 doors . that is where the problem would lie ?

Bought ours off of some one on this forum, so bought second hand, but worked well, kept the condensation at bay!

PJay

“SILVER SCREENS” is indeed a UK registered trade mark

https://trademarks.ipo.gov.uk/ipo-tmcase/page/Results/1/UK00001468623

http://www.silverscreens.co.uk/

but (as it says here)

http://www.motorcaravanning.co.uk/shopuk/silvered_screens_overview.htm

many UK motorcaravanners refer to external insulated covers for cab windows as ‘silver screens’ irrespective of the manufacturer.

In his original posting Andrew Bromley (“brom”) specifically identifies the screens he refers to, but the term is commonly used generically when it has the potential for ambiguity.

I just provided a link to an on-line advertiser of powerful magnets.

The same advertiser offers tape and strip magnets of various sorts

https://www.first4magnets.com/tape-strip-c85

which is the type of item you suggested earlier.

I don’t know what would be best for Andrew Bromley’s VW-based motorhome, but I’m sure he’ll be able to decide that himself.

Right - decision made and order placed today - with speedy delivery promised.

We've gone back to Polar Screens (Minster Products), as I spoke to them on the 'phone and they were happy to make us a special order with removable magnets - this wasn't a problem for them. The magnets aren't standard issue now, because of a couple of complaints from customers that they rattled in high winds. But if that happened, I think we'd just buy more powerful magnets (or, more likely, take them off for the night).

They will provide two 4kg magnets each side, along with fabric ties (same as the screens are made from), for the door-handles. Fitting of magnets necessitates Minster extending the skirts of the door sections downwards, to overlap the metal of the door, so the magnets can make contact. The magnets come in little material pouches, which attach by velcro to the door screens.

So, job jobbed - but thanks to all for your input.

• 4 weeks later...

Follow-up: -

We ordered the Polar Screens from MInster - a special order, with extra depth of material on the door screens, plus 'belt and braces' - material ties for the door handle, and two magnets per side.

They were made as requested, and fitted excellently, but needed some modification on the special aspects. We could have sent them back for this, but decided to go to the factory in Sheffield and made the trip today.

Here's a picture of the final side screen, after modification. You may be able to see two small squares at the bottom of the material - that is where the velcro pads are sewn on the inner surface. The removable pouches containing the magnets velcro to them, and hold the screen tight to the bodywork. The extra depth of screen is now cut around the door handle, and the soft material ties secure it to the handle. Better, in our opinion, than the bungee cords and straps used by some other manufacturers, as there's no possibility of rubbing.

The mods. took half an hour. We're well pleased with the result.

P1030052.jpg.15da5046ac98d7a7e52626b67580155b.jpg

Archived