Eye test

Pete-B

Pete-B - 2021-11-17 7:31 PM

Thinking of applying to get my C1 licence back which I gave up at age 70!

I had my eyes tested back in July, would this prescription still be valid for my application?

I should get the medical done first I've had several for HGV since 60 and its always included the eye test never had to attend a optician for a prescription

witzend - 2021-11-17 7:40 PM

I had my eyes tested back in July, would this prescription still be valid for my application?

I should get the medical done first I've had several for HGV since 60 and its always included the eye test never had to attend a optician for a prescription

my last 2 test for the over 70 PHGV test the eyesight test had to be done by an optician not by a doctor ,so pay for the doctor but the eye test is free with the optician

teccer1234 - 2021-11-17 10:18 PM

witzend - 2021-11-17 7:40 PM

my last 2 test for the over 70 PHGV test the eyesight test had to be done by an optician not by a doctor ,so pay for the doctor but the eye test is free with the optician

I had my eyes tested at the end of July and someone told me that the opticians prescriptions used to be valid for six months with the DVLA but wasn't too sure if this was still the case! If that still applies surely the doctor should be able to use it?

I don't mind using my own doctor because he obviously has all my records to hand and said the cost would only be about £48 which is cheaper than most others.

I'm a little confused as the eye test section of the D4 form was carried out by my Doctor as part of my last medical. It was fairly basic and is not the same as an eye test at the opticians.

I believe that an optician eye test prescription is normally valid for 2 years unless the optician has entered a shorter time scale for some reason or other.

D4Drivers web site give a cost of a D4 medical as £55 which includes the eye sight test. https://d4drivers.uk/driver-medicals/hgv-medicals/

A D4 eye sight test is not the same as one the DVLA could ask for if there are concerns raised regarding the applicants eye sight which would have to be carried out by an optician.

rayc - 2021-11-18 9:59 AM

I'm a little confused as the eye test section of the D4 form was carried out by my Doctor as part of my last medical. It was fairly basic and is not the same as an eye test at the opticians.

D4Drivers web site give a cost of a D4 medical as £55 which includes the eye sight test. https://d4drivers.uk/driver-medicals/hgv-medicals/

Yes..... exactly my experience, Has it changed, I've got one next year?

The eyesight standard for driving C1 after 70 is different (higher) than pre age 70. Before you pay for a medical I would have a word with your ophthalmologist. I would expect that your ophthalmologist would be prepared to express a view as to whether your eyesight was up to scratch informally at the time of the test but would charge a fee to formally complete the form which may need a further examination depending on the timing. If the ophthalmologist says you cant meet the eyesight requirements then you will have saved a significant fee,

Remember for your own safety and others you want reliable input from Doctor and ophthalmologist, not to "game the system".

HymerVan - 2021-11-18 11:52 AM

The eyesight standard for driving C1 after 70 is different (higher) than pre age 70..

Can you elaborate on that? As far to have as I can deduce the only difference is that at 70 and thereafter at 3 year intervals you confirm you meet the standard by the D4 medical. The eyesight standard to obtain or retain a C1 licence does not change with age.

The Visual Assessment section of D4 is be filled in by an optician, optometrist or doctor. The standard is exactly the same whether applying for the initial provisional licence or any renewals of an existing licence for whatever reason.

ssets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1025895/d4-medical-examiner-report-for-a-lorry-or-bus-driving-licence.pdf

To renew you have to get the Visual Assessment section of form D4 completed by a doctor , optician or optometrist.

The prescription is valid to obtain new glasses etc for whatever period the testing optician wrote on the prescription as 'Next Examination Advised period, normally 2 years. On my D4 medical the Doctors asked to see the prescription but carried out his own tests as per form D4. I suspect that if the D4 test was after the prescription 'expired' i.e. after the Next Examination Advised date then it could have raised complications?

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions but one thing puzzles me?

All the talk of different eye test requirements? If your issued with glasses to correct your sight and bring it up to and beyond what DVLA asks for, then surely that's all that's necessary?

The eyesight standard for driving C1 after 70 is different (higher) than pre age 70..

Can you elaborate on that? As far to have as I can deduce the only difference is that at 70 and thereafter at 3 year intervals you confirm you meet the standard by the D4 medical. The eyesight standard to obtain or retain a C1 licence does not change with age.

The Visual Assessment section of D4 is be filled in by an optician, optometrist or doctor. The standard is exactly the same whether applying for the initial provisional licence or any renewals of an existing licence for whatever reason.

ssets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1025895/d4-medical-examiner-report-for-a-lorry-or-bus-driving-licence.pdf

As I understand it if you are relying on grandfather rights based on having passed a driving test before 1 January 1997, i.e. you have C1 rights without having ever taken a C1 test.

For such drivers the pre age 70 criteria required vision to the appropriate standard in one eye only. However post age 70 vision in both eyes is required (although the standard in the poor eye is lower than the "main" eye).

I think this is because the requirements need you to "qualify" for the C1 standard of vision in order to retain the grandfathered rights.

I hope I have explained this correctly

Pete-B - 2021-11-18 3:40 PM

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions but one thing puzzles me?

All the talk of different eye test requirements? If your issued with glasses to correct your sight and bring it up to and beyond what DVLA asks for, then surely that's all that's necessary?

The purpose of the D4 medical is to ascertain your compliance with the DVLA requirement on that day. Having had an eyesight check previously would be no guarantee of that. In any event there is no pass / fail for an optician eyesight check whilst there is for the D4 test. The D4 test is carried out on all drivers not just those who go to opticians for regular eyesight checks or require corrective lenses.

HymerVan - 2021-11-18 4:55 PM

As I understand it if you are relying on grandfather rights based on having passed a driving test before 1 January 1997, i.e. you have C1 rights without having ever taken a C1 test.

For such drivers the pre age 70 criteria required vision to the appropriate standard in one eye only. However post age 70 vision in both eyes is required (although the standard in the poor eye is lower than the "main" eye).

I think this is because the requirements need you to "qualify" for the C1 standard of vision in order to retain the grandfathered rights.

I hope I have explained this correctly

DVLA say;

"Lorry and bus drivers

You must have a visual acuity at least 0.8 (6/7.5) measured on the Snellen scale in your best eye and at least 0.1 (6/60) on the Snellen scale in the other eye.

You can reach this standard using glasses with a corrective power not more than (+) 8 dioptres, or with contact lenses. There’s no specific limit for the corrective power of contact lenses.

You must have an uninterrupted horizontal visual field of at least 160 degrees with an extension of at least 70 degrees left and right and 30 degrees up and down. No defects should be present within a radius of the central 30 degrees.

You must tell DVLA if you’ve got any problem with your eyesight that affects either eye.

You may still be able to renew your lorry or bus licence if you cannot meet these standards but held your licence before 1 January 1997."

https://www.gov.uk/driving-eyesight-rules

I guess that if any C1 licence holder of any age had vision in only one eye then they would have had to inform DVLA of that fact. When they reach 70 the last sentence of the DVLA statement would presumably come into play.

Rayc

Reading the full quote from DVLA :-

(The bit regarding Lorry and Bus Drivers)

"You must tell DVLA if you’ve got any problem with your eyesight that affects either eye".

"You may still be able to renew your lorry or bus licence if you cannot meet these standards but held your licence before 1 January 1997.

You must also meet the minimum eyesight standard for driving by having a visual acuity of at least decimal 0.5 (6/12) measured on the Snellen scale (with glasses or contact lenses, if necessary) using both eyes together or, if you have sight in one eye only, in that eye.

You must also have an adequate field of vision - your optician can tell you about this and do a test."

This seems to impose an obligation to inform including pre 1997 licence holders but there is an inference that a failure to meet the standards will not necessarily result in the licence not being renewed so long as the field of vision is adequate.

Actually I did many years ago draw the attention of DVLA to my eyesight deficiencies in one eye and they renewed so I maintain my position that there IS a different standard after 70 because a driver renewing at 70 and beyond MUST meet the visual acuity requirement as it apples to each eye whereas an inability before 70 may not result in non renewal especially if the field of vision requirements are met. .

It should be borne in mind that that guidance notes on government publications are just that and they may not take full account of of the exact legal postion as defined in primary and secondary legislation. I suspect guidance notes are not drafted by lawyers !!

HymerVan - 2021-11-19 7:49 AM

Rayc

I maintain my position that there IS a different standard after 70 because a driver renewing at 70 and beyond MUST meet the visual acuity requirement as it apples to each eye whereas an inability before 70 may not result in non renewal especially if the field of vision requirements are met. .

The DVLA statement "You may still be able to renew your lorry or bus licence if you cannot meet these standards but held your licence before 1 January 1997" is exactly the same criteria they apply whether the licence application is prior or after the age 70.

Can I politely ask your authority for the proposition that DVLA MAY renew (reinstate) grandfathered C1 entitlement after 70 when the relevant acuity standards cannnot be met for each eye ?

This question is not academic for me because having been unable to apply to retain my C1 entitlement last year due to Covid I had an eye test this year and the ophthalmologist was able to bring my right eye up to standard with a different prescription but this had implications for the vision on my left (dominant) eye so I decided that it wasn't worth the hassle insofar as I am unlikely to own (as opposed to drive) a MH over 3.5 tonnes ?

HymerVan - 2021-11-19 10:37 AM

Can I politely ask your authority for the proposition that DVLA MAY renew (reinstate) grandfathered C1 entitlement after 70 when the relevant acuity standards cannnot be met for each eye ?

It is what DVLA say i.e. "You may still be able to renew your lorry or bus licence if you cannot meet these standards but held your licence before 1 January 1997."

https://www.gov.uk/driving-eyesight-rules

I had medical with D4D .and Failed eye test .It was read the card on the wall ,and I could not read the last line.

Fortunatley for me The Doctor allowed me 24hrs to get an eye test.Went straight to optician had eye test .They filled in relavent part of Dvla form .returned to doctor. He signed off the rest of the form ..Had a new set of glasses todays later. Now i have optician eye test gefore medical .no pronlems

Archived