FERRIES TO FRANCE

Guest Ana

Gathering information on which may possibly be the best ferries to France for motorhomes and dogs! Oh, and yes, we are going too! Which crossing and company would you recommend and can you stay with your dogs or at least visit them often in the vehicle? Do they need to be put in carriers or can they be loose inside? Ana x

We have just booked with Norfolkline for Easter and the summer holidays. They run (?) from Dover to Dunkirk. If you book before Friday 4th Jan, they are doing a cheap rate. We paid £88 return and this is fully ammendable at no cost! A bargain, we thought. Their tel no is 0870 8701020 or www.norfolkline.com

Guest Mark Barfield
If you have specific dates you want on Dover -0 Calais Motorhome Travel Club (MTC) have good deals with seafrance, they advertise in MMM regularly MB

Please tell me more about the Chunnel - haven't gone into all this at all yet - sounds good to me - what are the approximate costs etc?? Only 35 mins? You stay in the vehicle yeah?!! I am so worried about our dogs!! Never mind if we have to travel further..!! Ana xx

Ana Eurotunnel is tops. Tried it 10 years ago, never been on a ferry since. You drive onto the carriage and sit (lounge) in your vehicle for the entire journey, pets or no pets. 35 minutes after the train departs you are starting the engine and driving off of the carriage, out of the complex and straight onto French roads. The A16 is 2 minutes drive. I booked in October 04 for September 05 and got the same price as our 04 crossing, £125 return. Unless you are an old "sailor" I cannot see any attraction of the ferries. Each to his/her own. Regards Neal

"I cannot see any attraction of the ferries. Each to his/her own." I can just about cope with the Mersey tunnels, well the newer one anyway !!!!! think I may have been a miner in a previous life! ;-))

Think that has decided us most probably, the Eurotunnel it is..!! (I LOVE the Mersey Tunnel LOL!!). Will make enquiries!! Wonder if you have to book the return initially? This is a great place for information! Ana x

If the boat catches fire you can swim or try a life raft. Are you saying it will never happen to the chunnel....! You know the rest!

Been on the internet just quickly to look into this (too soon to book yet) and it stated that it did not accept CARS with gas tanks. My husband says that a motohome with a gas tank would be different as it is for domestic use but I'm not so sure? Anyone used the Eurotunnel in a motorhome with a gas tank and did you have a problem? Ana x

Ana Our RV has a fixed LPG tank. Eurotunnel had a period of about 15 months when they refused to carry vehicles with fixed tanks (they still allowed anything with LPG cylinders) but, in June 04, they changed their policy once again and allow fixed tanks for DOMESTIC USE ONLY. i.e. cooking, heating etc. They are aiming to reach a position when they can carry all vehicles no matter what propulsion method is used but they haven't quite reached that yet. No problems using the service, you are stopped by security who inspect your tank and ask some questions. Clive, try telling that old chestnut to the Titanic passengers, or even the Herald of Free Enterprise passengers. A popular "myth" which, in reality, is not usually practical. I knew someone who was afraid of flying so he caught ferries everywhere until, one day, the ferry sank.............a plane crashed onto it!!!! (The old ones are the best!!) Regards Neal

LOL Neal - that made me laugh!! (Hope it was a joke and not true?!!). Thanks for advice re gas tanks - we CAN switch ours off but it is mighty difficult or so my husband says - wonder if they insist on it being turned off? Definitely going to be the way we'll travel - got it made in a motorhome haven't we? We can eat our lunch in the 35 mins as we travel! (I will refrain from lighting the gas!). Thanks, Ana x

Hi Ana I'm afraid that the tank must have a proper isolation valve and it MUST be turned off throughout travel. That is the main purpose of the security check to ensure that this has been done. Also, whilst travelling on the shuttle, you should not attempt to use your toilet. This is due to the pressures created travelling in the tunnel which could result in a messy accident. There are toilets situated in the first and last carriages. Oh, it was just a joke! Quite an old one. Regards Neal

Thanks again Neal - we are going to have the isolation valve seen to as it is very stiff and my husband is afraid to break it! If it broke I imagine we'd have problems! Ana x

Guest nick dean
hi ya just booked dover dunquerke for aug extra 10 pounds each way for best times, return journey is also a bank holiday!!! basic £88 total £ 108.. offer not on long though! non returnable but can always be changed to another date for a tennner . 6.5 metre motorhome with norfolk line via caravan club in august cant be bad.!!!!!

Archived