FIAT Ducato Factory fit Wingmirror DAB/FM aerial

fripp

Has anybody fitted their own DAB/FM Radio head unit to a FIAT Ducato which has a FIAT factory fitted FM/DAB wing mirror aerial? Does it require power? And is this fed down the coax as phantom power from the radio, or is there a separate power feed?

Thanks

From perusal of the X/290 converters manual, there are a number of different wiring options dependent on roof or mirror aerial, FM/DAB/GPS provision, and whether the vehicle originally came with the OE Fiat radio, or "radio-prep" (for an aftermarket radio) only.

I doubt the arrangements differed much for the earlier X/250

I think from what you've posted, (and assuming no GPS) the only question causing a difference is the OE radio or radio-prep.

The converters manual is available to download on the Fiat forum (if you sign up), but the relevant schematics (for the above two) are attached below.

Even these are somewhat debatable, but my interpretation is that the OE radio supplies power up the aerial lead from the radio (and possibly to each aerial leg separately), whereas an OE radio is expected to supply antenna amplifier power via the ISO antenna connector (and that is split to both legs by the "phantom box").

mirroroe.thumb.JPG.6b754fd4311b001348956c0f075d723c.JPG

Mirroraftermarket.thumb.JPG.a64df43b0387fb73f3ed088069d7a7ed.JPG

Thanks for the feedback. My vehicle will be 2020 with prep for aftermarket radio and aerials in mirror. The radio I am fitting can supply phantom power. Not sure it that is provided for both FM and DAB, but I'll give it go when I get my hands on it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Then it should, presumably, be something like the bottom schematic.

The thing that isn't obvious, and the sparse text of the manual doesn't clarify, is just how much of that is supplied, and how much is required as part of the radio installation.

If the 'van is coming from a convertor with a mirror aerial and radio-prep, then it is not unreasonable to hope for the whole lot, with two aerial leads, a "phantom box" that will inject power into both aerial leads, and is connected to the appropriate ISO position such that it takes aerial power from the back of the radio.

It's not guaranteed, though.

At least you should have an idea what you are looking for.

Edited to add:

Phantom power for DAB is often a setting, with the radio using the aerial connection. This is less common with FM, though it is then possible to use the "antenna power" ISO connection. It looks to me as though the expectation here is to use the latter for both (via the "phantom box")

Yes just checked and my radio only provides power down the DAB connection.

So I think in my case the phantom box in the diagram is subsumed/built into the radio.

The only question left is if power down the DAB lead will power the amp in the mirror for both FM and DAB side. I kind of assume it will but I will find out.

The diagram implies not, but that's far from conclusive.

What the diagram implies to me is (if the "phantom box" is installed as part of the radio prep), then the "antenna feed" (power aerial connector) on the ISO block, which is powered when the radio is turned on, is connected to that, and provides power to both the DAB and FM aerials (by splitting it). You could then disable the DAB aerial power.

I think you need to check the (ISO) pin on which the radio supplies antenna power, and see if the mating socket on the 'van as supplied appears to go somewhere - if it does, then it's likely, but not guaranteed, that both the aerial amplifiers are supplied from there.

Yes I think your right it is implying that the phantom box is fitted as part of the prep. No clue however as to what colour the Unipolar cable is? I assume this is the power for the phantom box. ISO A5 is labelled as aerial motor power.

I see the Phantom Box is listed as TBD in the converters guide which is useful. I think this is FIAT Part 1331247080, which looks to be mounted behind the radio. Maybe it will all become clear when I can get my hands on my van.

ISO A5 is the aerial power connector (generally used in the past for retractable aerials) which is powered on with the radio switched on.

If everything is provided, I would expect A5 in the vehicle ISO loom to already be connected to the "phantom box" (which is simply an aerial lead power injector/isolator) and to be powered by A5 when the radio is on. (I should check that your radio does output "aerial power" on A5, but it is overwhelmingly likely). Unipolar cable is a posh way of saying "wire" ;-)

If all the kit is there, then (subject to the check of A5 output on the radio), it would all be plug n'play (but as you have found, the converters manual shows you how it should work, but doesn't give enough description to confirm what will actually be pre-installed.

FWIW, I've used that aerial power feed in the past to supply an amplified splitter for DAB/FM signals from an aerial with only an FM lead as standard.

• 4 months later...

Just to give any future people find this thread a useful update. I eventually managed to pickup my new motorhome and discovered although it had FIAT factory radio preparation installed. This only included a FM aerial in the left-hand A-pillar. This is a simple short dipole aerial fashioned from some coax fixed to a plastic stick. Maybe FIAT have found this to be a cheaper option than the wing mirror variant. The chassis is a FIAT 2020 production.

So I made my own DAB dipole from coax and installed in the right-hand pillar. Running the cables from here was easier as it is a LHD. All seems to be working OK.

Archived