FIat oil change in Leicester

RichardME

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Richard.

Nick Fisher (who participates on this forum with the user-name “euroserv”) is director of Eurotruck Hire Ltd at the Leicester address provided above by Stardreamer. This is a van rental company and I’m not sure if it regularly carries out servicing of privately-owned vehicles.

http://www.ileicestershire.com/profile/455683/Leicester/Eurotruck-Hire-Ltd/

In this recent discussion

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/2001-ducato-gearbox-propblems/39905/

Nick suggests Big John’s Auto Centre for gearbox repairs, but I note that general vehicle servicing is also offered there

http://www.bigjohnsautocentre.co.uk/car-servicing-and-repairs.php

Nick may well respond directly to your inquiry, but otherwise I suggest you phone Eurotruck Hire (0116 244 2222) for advice.

Several of the big car service companies like kwik fit and national do very cheap oil and filter changes for less than I can buy the oil for.

The only problem is whether they have the headroom to get your Moho in, and they sometimes charge more than the original quote if they have to remove an under tray.

RichardME - 2015-11-01 8:54 PM

Hi, I am new to forum and would be grateful if anyone could recommend a garage in the Leicester area to do just an oil change on a Fiat 2.3 engine?

Many thanks

Richard

Hello Richard, and welcome to the forum.

We can and would be happy to help you. Please call 0116 244 2222 Monday to Friday 0800 to 1800

Regards

Nick

Billggski - 2015-11-02 8:51 AM

Several of the big car service companies like kwik fit and national do very cheap oil and filter changes for less than I can buy the oil for.

The only problem is whether they have the headroom to get your Moho in, and they sometimes charge more than the original quote if they have to remove an under tray.

Some of them just suck most of the oil out with a pump via the dipstick tube and then refill which to me is not as satisfactory as removing the sump plug on a warm engine and properly draining the old oil and replacing the filter, and the sump plug washer.

I always fill the filter with fresh oil before fitting so that there is less time with the engine running on no oil pressure whilst it fills the filter.

It can be a bit messy and I don't know if it makes any difference but that's how I was taught many years ago and it makes sense to me!

In the old days oil was oil but these days having the right type and grade of oil as per manufacturers specifications can be very important for engine longevity - so I am told.

Therefore I would either do it myself or have someone that I trust (like Nick!) do it for me and even then I would ask what oil they were using to be safe because for me at least it ain't worth the risk of getting it wrong just to save a few quid.

Tracker - 2015-11-02 10:19 AM

Billggski - 2015-11-02 8:51 AM

Some of them just suck most of the oil out with a pump via the dipstick tube and then refill which to me is not as satisfactory as removing the sump plug on a warm engine and properly draining the old oil and replacing the filter, and the sump plug washer.

I always fill the filter with fresh oil before fitting so that there is less time with the engine running on no oil pressure whilst it fills the filter.

It can be a bit messy and I don't know if it makes any difference but that's how I was taught many years ago and it makes sense to me!

In the old days oil was oil but these days having the right type and grade of oil as per manufacturers specifications can be very important for engine longevity - so I am told.

Therefore I would either do it myself or have someone that I trust (like Nick!) do it for me and even then I would ask what oil they were using to be safe because for me at least it ain't worth the risk of getting it wrong just to save a few quid.

And be very careful who does it. My local independent commercial van dealer put sufficient oil in my 3 litre thinking the engine was 2.3 litres meaning the engine was a couple of litres short. When the engine started banging I realised something was wrong.

According to Wikipedia a 2.3litre motor has been used in Ducato from 2002 until the present day (in various ‘emissions’ forms), while the 3.0litre powerplant was introduced in 2006.

RichardME’s inquiry gives no details regarding the age of the Fiat 2.3litre motor, but it’s fair to assume from Mike88’s postings that he was referring to a 2010 vehicle.

The Fiat handbook for that era of Ducato quotes engine-oil capacities for the 3.0litre 160MJ motor as 8.6litres (engine sump) and 9.7litres (engine sump and filiter), with equivalent capacities for the 2.3litre 120MJ/130MJ motor being given as 5.9litres and 6.5litres respectively. That’s a difference in oil-capacity between the two motors of 2.7litres (engine sump) or 3.2litres (engine sump and filter).

It’s obviously possible with a basic motor design that has been in use from 2002 (2.3litre engine) or 2006 (3.0litre) that the oil capacities might not have remained constant and, in fact, the Fiat handbook for my 2015 Ducato quotes engine-oil capacities for the 3.0litre 180MJ Power motor as 8.0litres (engine sump) and 9.0litres (engine sump and filiter), with equivalent capacities for the 2.3litre 110MJ/130MJ/150MJ motor being given as 5.3litres and 5.9litres respectively. But it would be logical to assume that the 3.0litre motor (whatever its age and version) would always have a significantly larger engine-oil capacity than that of the 2.3litre powerplant.

Tracker - 2015-11-02 3:43 PM

Duncan MMM - 2015-11-02 3:11 PM

for a variety of forum rules infractions, Peter James has been banned for three months.

It's a shame to see anyone suspended as even at his at worst he is nothing like the problems of the past!

Everyone knows the rules, you either behave or I will take action. In this case it is for three months, not permanently.

Mike88 - 2015-11-02 11:12 AM

And be very careful who does it. My local independent commercial van dealer put sufficient oil in my 3 litre thinking the engine was 2.3 litres meaning the engine was a couple of litres short. When the engine started banging I realised something was wrong.

Just for the record (and as a follow-up to my posting about Ducato oil capacities) although I stated that “...it would be logical to assume that the 3.0litre motor (whatever its age and version) would always have a significantly larger engine-oil capacity than that of the 2.3litre powerplant”, that assumption was evidently incorrect.

When the Ducato X250 was first marketed in 2006, providing the possibility of having either a 2.3litre or a 3.0litre motor, Fiat’s Ducato handbook quoted oil capacities for the 3.0litre motor of 6.0litres (engine sump) and 7.0litres (engine sump and filter), respectively just 0.1litres and 0.5litres more than the 5.9litres/6.5litres quoted for the 2.3litre powerplant and (if I remember correctly) what Peter James was saying. Those capacities continued to be quoted in Ducato handbooks for a number of years and were then revised upwards (for the 3.0litre motor) to around 8litres (engine sump) and 9litres.(engine sump and filiter).

It would seem therefore that, if the ‘wrong year’ oil-capacity data are used when changing the oil of a Ducato X250 with 3.0litre motor, there’s the potential to seriously overfill an earlier model or seriously underfill a later model.

Just returned from a visit to Nick at Eurotruck Hire Ltd .Turns out we didn't need an oil change, instead he spent an hour advising us about preventative maintenance issues.He then proceded to check our oil which he topped

up, greased some headlight mounting bolts and put the motorhome up on the ramps where he sprayed some grease on the handbrake cable pivot points and refused to charge us for his time and materials used. Thank you Nick, we will cetainly be calling on you when our motorhome needs an engine service. Kind regards Richard

Archived