Factory Fitted Immobiliser Classification

paid2travel

Can anybody clarify whether factory fitted immobilisers on motorhomes have a Thatcham standard catregory association ?

Saga insurance are asking me this on my Hymer Carado 2012 Fiat Ducato model - I believe that all vehicles after around 1996 were fitted with factory fitted immobilisers but I guess to what standard is the question.

Martin

I'm sure NickVanBitz will be along before too long, but Thatcham Category 2 relates to immobilisers only and Category 1 relates to alarm systems with immobilisers. Pretty much every vehicle currently manufactured has a category 2 compliant immobiliser installed at the factory, but if your insurer is insisting on category 1 you will need to install a Thatcham approved Category 2-1 alarm system which upgrades the vehicle to Category 1 status. I would get back in touch with your insurer and try to clarify what they require.

Thanks guys, after learning a bit more I went back to Saga and said that as far as I can determine, my MH only has a factory fitted immobiliser (viewed as category 2 only) and not an additional category 1 alarm fitted.

Saga's underwriters then asked the vehicle value to which they then confirmed that they were finally willing to offer cover based on the clarified information.

Since I've acquired our MH a few months ago, I've upgraded the security with; one 'disklok' steering lock (Thatcham category 3), two 'HEOSafe' cab deadlocks, two 'HEOSafe' habitation/garage deadlocks, six door/window/skyline wireless alarms, and one 'carlock' OBD real-time tracker but not surprisingly, none of these were accepted as approved devices for insurance purposes with any of the providers I questioned.

For now at least, I've slightly reduced the risk of an opportunist thief getting too interested in our MH. ;-) I hope!

Martin

Archived