Failed Fan Switch and Clearing Service Codes (Euroserv?!)

veletron

Hi

Hoping that some folks knowledgeable re the Ducato can answer my question - Euroserv maybe?

I have done all my own servicing thus far on a June 2015 Ducato Euro V.

At close to 28K miles the change engine oil message started appearing, by this stage, I had already changed the oil, filters etc twice.

I tried to reset it using the 'Torque' app and an ELM327 bluebooth ODB2 interface with no success. Then I found something online re holding down brake and clutch, pressing brake 6 times while doing a silly dance. Eventually I got it reset.

Then the normal 'service' became required, and I was not able to get rid of it. It now displays the message 'service coupon expired', and I can't get shot of that either. I think I need a license for the software multiecuscan? Or I wait until MOT in June and have garage reset it.

At about the same time, the heater fan has become single speed, only position 4 works, the fan does not spin in the other positions. Can't imagine that this is linked, but happened on same day as the service message! Maybe someone has seen the failed fan switch themselves and can tell me which bit needs fixing?! Switch, relay etc?

Also re servicing, does the DPF need any attention - eg does a real garage do owt with it? I saw something about a 'DPF oil service's

Nigel

...first the heater:

A common cause of the fan only working on the highest position is that the heater fan resistor has burnt out. Not usually a difficult thing to replace, but could be fiddly depending on its location. (I'm pretty sure it is easy to find hits on this item on the Ducato by judicious Googling). I'm pretty sure there are warnings about checking the immediately adjacent wiring for heat damage on certain Ducato models.

As for resetting the service reminders, you will need Fiat dealer-level diagnostics, or something very close (like the Multiecuscan you mention). I don't know of any generic devices/software that will do this, and accordingly it is unlikely that an MOT garage (unless they deal with Fiat vehicles) will be able to do it anyway.

I'm very surprised you've managed to get rid of the oil-change message, frankly.

ISTR, on certain versions, if ignored the service reminders would spontaneously disappear after a given interval/mileage. ;-)

I find Multiecuscan pretty easy to use, it's a useful diagnostic tool, and it isn't difficult to reset the service indicators with it.

The DPF is "fit and forget" until/unless it starts throwing codes. Again, Multiecuscan will give some interesting information on its state, number or regens, etc.

Edited to add.

A quick Google pulled this up. It may be useful. (Not an endorsement of the supplier, simply additional info)

http://www.heaterblowerresistor.co.uk/fiatdobloducatoheaterresistor.html

As Robinhood says, the Oil Change Required message needs to be cleared by diagnostic equipment such as MultiEcuScan, FiCom or a dealer level system. Many of the systems used by independent garages will have similar functionality, but at much greater cost so beyond the scope of most DIYers.

I'm also surprised you were able to clear it without a service tool, although I know the standard service due messages can be cleared without. Many vehicle manufacturers seem to build in obscure and sometimes complicated methods of completing functions normally reset by a service tool. I suppose it is to enable them to be cleared or updated in far flung corners of distant lands where the correct equipment may not be immediately available?

On Euro 5+ (which I imagine your vehicle is from its age) and Euro 6 Ducatos, a diagnostic or service tool also needs to be connected following an oil change to reset the oil change counter. The ECU carries out a software calculation of the condition of the engine oil based on driving conditions, number of DPF regenerations and other measured parameters to determine the likely condition of the oil and illuminate the Oil Change Required message if (when) it calculates that the oil may no longer be in a suitable condition to protect the engine. This can happen in as little as 3500kms under severe usage conditions according to Fiat, but if it isn't reset following an oil change it may illuminate a warning prematurely because the ECU hasn't been told that the oil has been changed, and is still working on the elapsed time and operating conditions since the previous oil change.

If the Oil Change Required message is ignored or not reset, the vehicle performance will be progressively reduced shortly thereafter.

I bought the full version of MultiEcuScan when I purchased my Ducato, as I have always maintained my vehicles, and I reckoned that even at 230 euros for the multiplexed version (which saves having to acquire and constantly change several different cables between your laptop/tablet and the diagnostic port) it would soon pay for itself. Having been charged just short of £300 solely for an oil change required to maintain the warranty on my van, I'm pretty sure that my calculation is right!

What I don't know is whether manually clearing the Oil Change message will update the oil degradation counter. What I do following my own servicing is to connect MES to the vehicle, and reset the oil change and the service counters.

If it sounds complicated, it's not really. Certainly not in comparison to the hoops I've had to jump though to work out how to read the exact oil level on my car, rather than relying on the electronic dashboard indicator which only states "OK", "Add oil" or "Overfull" based on its averaging of readings from the last 3 journeys!!!

Hello,

On any Fiat vehicle that has a DPF there are two separate service 'lights' that need to reset.

The first and most obvious is the service interval countdown on the main display. This is easy enough in MultiECUscan through the 'service' menu.

In order to reset the DPF service you need to go in via the Engine menu and look under 'adjustments' and then 'Oil change (only for version with DPF)'

Follow the directions precisely.

There are a lot of garages that don't know how, don't have the right diagnostics or just forget to do this.

N

PS. Yes. It is the heater resistor but as stated above.... check the plug for over-heating and get it repaired if it is at all melted before putting a new resistor in.

Archived