Fan? noise from under drivers seat

raskl

We have a Ci Carioca 644 (Fiat Ducato). Not sure if it's always been there but we've just become aware of an intermittent noise coming from under the driver's seat (Captain's swivel seat). It sounds like a fan coming on and off. It happens when we're parked up with the ignition off, but we can't tell if it also runs when we're on the move due to all the other noises going on. Can anyone shed any light as we can't see any reference to it in the manual?

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Ann.

I could help to know when your motorhome was built, but on-line images suggest that the CI Carioca 644 model was being marketed in the period 2003-2006 (example photo attached below).

This MHFacts discussion relates to a CI Carioca and a "Fan blowing under driver's seat?”

https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/182-electrical/71516-fan-blowing-under-driver-s-seat.html

When you say that you notice the noise "when we're parked up with the ignition off”, has the motorhome been connected to a campsite 230V mains ‘hook up’ power-point? If that’s the case, then the advice from GerryD on the MHFacts forum thread is probably correct (quote)

...The fan noise is the cooling fan for the charger, which is located under the drivers seat. It will cut in about a minute after hook up and then periodically whilst your battery is being charged.

It’s quite common for motorhome manufacturers to house the onboard battery-charger beneath a cab-seat, and it’s quite common for an onboard battery-charger to have a cooling fan that will operate intermittently. If your motothome is connected to a 230V hook-up when the noise occurs, and the noise stops if you disconnect the motorhome from the hook-up, you can be pretty sure that it’s a battery-charger producing the noise.

(If your motorhome is early-2000s vintage and the noise is happening a lot, it could be worth you removing the driver’s seat and giving the area beneath it (and the hypothetical battery-charger) a good vacuuming out. A lot of dust/debris can collect beneath a cab-seat and can reduce the flow of cooling air through a charger. Also, if there’s electrical equipment under a cab-seat and there’s room to store ‘stuff’ there too, it would be wise not to do this as that could also inhibit air-flow.)

644.jpg.30761bf2db947d2280e06497832b7641.jpg

If it is the charger fan cutting as suggested above, and this occurs immediately after connecting to EHU, then it suggests that the split charge system may not be working directly.

Another possibility to be considered is the condition of the habitation batteries. The charger may be struggling to cope with failing batteries.

How much load is being placed on the 12V system when the fan cuts in?

Alan

The CBE-made battery-charger fitted to my current Rapido motorhome (and previous Hobby ‘van) always makes a whirring noise when the motorhome has been connected to a 230V mains supply and the charger is switched on.

I’ve always assumed that the whirring noise is produced by the charger’s cooling fan and (in the Rapido’s and Hobby’s case) it only happens/happened very briefly when the charger starts to operate.

I don’t recall ever hearing the charger’s fan running subsequently, but both motorhomes had adequate air-space around the charger and the way I use my motorhomes places little load on the charger.

I’ve no difficulty envisaging that, if a fan-cooled charger is ‘working hard’ and/or is positioned where a cooling air-flow is restricted, the fan will need to operate intermittently or, in a worst case scenario, continuously. After all, that’s what the fan is there for...

Our 2007 Hobby van had a CBE charger installed under the driver's seat, and there were two occasions on which the fan was audible after the initial post hook-up phase. One was when it was exceptionally hot, and the fan was ran to compensate, the other was unexplained until, on close examination, I discovered that case of the gel habitation battery (installed under the other seat) had been cracked by one of the terminal posts, possibly during installation of either the battery, or possibly of the swivel seat. Fixed with a new battery.

I suspect that in your case this is just the fan doing what it is intended to do, and cooling the charger during the present hot spell. But. if it continues doing this after it all cools down, have a good look at the hab battery and, if a flooded battery, at least check the electrolyte level.

If you need to remove a swivel seat to inspect or change the battery, brace yourself, because they are very heavy! :-)

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you so much for all your helpful replies. It sounds exactly like you suggest - the charger fan coming on after connecting to EHU, and in hot weather. Working as it should by sound of it. Much appreciated folks!

Archived