Ferry Booked to France. Dordogne recommendation required :-)

kevandali

Hi All

Long time no type :-)
We have decided to book a two week trip to France for the first two weeks of August.
I have read all the comments about every man/women and there dog heading that way and it's going to be rammed but I still think we could find a bit of space somewhere.

You lot always come up trumps so thought I would test you out yet again.

We are thinking of a week on the Dordogne, no flashy pool or top notch facilities required, just waste and grey water empty and water top up.

Any recommendations at all in the Dordogne area, only element we would like is the campsite being next to or very close to the river.

Plan for week two is a coastal visit on the way back up to Calais, jobs a good un :-)

I enjoy picking your brains, some represent very sparse pickings but the rest of you seem to know what you are on about :-)
Looking forward to your replies

Kev and Ali

I'm sure you will have no problems finding somewhere in France even in August. Popular campsites can get booked up at that time as the French schools are also on holiday....it may well be different this year though as many Brits my not go abroad! Dordogne is a beautiful area. Have you got the folloing -

Campercontact

Camping Car Parks France (we love this one as they usually have ehu & wifi, in addition to water, waste & CTD).

Search for Sites

Park for nght

These are all available on the internet......and ACSI is a must if you want to stay on campsites though this one is most useful 'out of season' as you get a discount in ACSI campsites.

I use all these when planning our trips...we've booked for beginning of September.

Have a great time!

We used this one out of season for a few days (September) https://www.pitchup.com/campsites/france/limousin/correze/beaulieu_sur_dordogne/camping_beaulieu_sur_dordogne/ and were impressed. There are pitches right on the edge of the river (they cost more) so in the morning you can wander in to town to collect croissant, then a few steps from your van scramble down on the the river bank and have breakfast with your feet in the Dordogne. The river is quite shallow if you pick the right pitch so ideal for swimming or just soaking as you watch the kayakers struggle with the current. It’s quite possible that the best pitches are pre-booked in season. Out of season we just turned up and there was plenty of space. In season prices are high though. The town itself has plenty of diversions and is delightful to wander about. The main entrance in the town has a height barrier - about 3m if I recall correctly. We are 3m and fitted under. There is though also another entrance without a height barrier for larger vehicles.

Well..... So much for being proactive and trying to think ahead. The powers that be have decreed (and I reluctantly agree) that the wide open spaciousness of Brittany beats the concentrated beauty of the Dordogne this time around. Maybe I can change the name of this post to Brittany Recommendations? :-)

At the moment most travel insurance will be invalid unless FCO lift the ruling on non-essential travel advice. I contacted my travel insurance company a few days ago and they stated that our policy would not cover us until this happens. I'm waiting for the 14 day quarantine rule for coming into UK is changes and FCO lift the non-essential travel advice. We have had the tunnel booked for 19th July for 8 months and our ferry from Ancona to Igoumenitsa since December. Hanging fire at the moment but not hopeful!

kevandali - 2020-06-24 9:44 PM

Well..... So much for being proactive and trying to think ahead. The powers that be have decreed (and I reluctantly agree) that the wide open spaciousness of Brittany beats the concentrated beauty of the Dordogne this time around. Maybe I can change the name of this post to Brittany Recommendations? :-)

Brittany in August is usually busy a lot of French head in that direction in August But this Year might be different

Brittany will be busy (normally) but i think its a better choice than the Dordogne for peak season. It has more Aires than any other region which is what I would head for to avoid hordes of kids. Personally July / August we always head for areas like Jura, the Alps, the Pyrenees or Provence. Plenty of places to lose yourself there but the good thing about Brittany is it just has so much choice and its very quiet inland if the throng of the coast gets too much. The further west you go the wilder it is and more like the west coast of Scotland. Hard to make specific recommendations but as you dont have long, maybe concentrate on one section of it.

Just a little further South, if you look for the Aire at St Sylvestre sur Lott, next to it there is a lovely small municipal site right on the banks of the river Lott, mostly only used by the French it is very friendly and a superb location with the advantage that the pitches next to the river are often empty because the trees prevent the receiving of satelite signals.

The Aire is No 49 Page 28 of all the aires south.

kevandali - 2020-06-27 11:27 PM

Thanks for all the advice, spoilt for choice really, some lovely sites mentioned bt we just don't need the swimming pools and all singing all dancing facilities, will keep looking.

I guess it’s not compulsory to use them.

Archived