Ferry Crossings

Guest Tony Norton

Guest Tony Norton
Hello All, I know this is a hoary old question, but I've just been on the 'net costing out ferry crossings from the south coast to France (Poole/Portsmouth to Cherbourg) and can only find crossings on Barfleur. What I was hoping to find was where I could book on the RO-RO ferries, there are more than one operating out of Poole (the name "Coutance" comes to mind) but couldn't find anything referring to them. My reasoning is that on Barfleur we would be a larger than 'normal' vehicle at 8m x 3m high, and therefore dearer, whereas on a vessel used by lorries we would be one of the smaller ones, and possibly get a cheaper crossing. Has anyone used a crossing that was predominately carrying lorries and, if so, where did you book it? If I could find daytime crossings I would be prepared to put up with not having a 'plush' lounge for the 4 hours or so it takes. T.I.A. Tony N

Guest Derek Uzzell
"Barfleur" is a Truckline vessel and (I believe) the only Truckline ferry now operating on the Poole/Cherbourg route. I think "Coutances" is long gone. We travelled on "Barfleur" many years ago (it's an oldish ship) and I'm sure you just book via Brittany Ferries in the usual way. There seems to be a Truckline website, but it doesn't work. Suggest you GOOGLE on Truckline, Barfleur Ferry and Coutances Ferry for more info.

Guest Chris Price
Whilst in Spain recently we bumped into a fellow traveller who had crossed Dover to Dunquirk on Norfolk Line. He told us he and his dog turned up and got a crossing for £84. He described it as "no frills". Hope this helps Chris

Archived