Ferry booking - can't make it

ColinM50

Booked P&O Dover Calais via Camping club a few months ago but due to medical issues I can't make the crossing - have a hospital appointment that clashes. I'm the member so booked the crossing in my name with the other named parties in the group. Other members of the group are OK to travel and, all being well, I'll probably fly out a few days later.

So the Q is, if me, as the member that got the discount doesn't travel, are P&O likely to try to surcharge the driver if I'm not on board?

Guest pelmetman

I booked the ferry to Spain in my name for my brother and his wife to drive my car and caravan over as the ferry was getting booked up :-| ..............

Phoned them a few weeks later once I got all his details to amend the named driver and passengers.......

Oh no sir you cant do that you have to cancel and re book *-) .............

Which I did....... and for the privilege they charged me another 140 quid 8-) ........

ColinM50 - 2018-08-10 12:54 PM

Booked P&O Dover Calais via Camping club a few months ago but due to medical issues I can't make the crossing - have a hospital appointment that clashes. I'm the member so booked the crossing in my name with the other named parties in the group. Other members of the group are OK to travel and, all being well, I'll probably fly out a few days later.

So the Q is, if me, as the member that got the discount doesn't travel, are P&O likely to try to surcharge the driver if I'm not on board?

Why would we know better than the Camping Club, through whom you booked? Horse's mouth?

You've got a point Brian, but I'm a great believer in asking for forgiveness rather than permission. I can bet you a shilling if I ask they'll say much the same as they did for Pelmetman and charge a big fee, but wondered if they do check at check in who's travelling.

Think I'll tell my son to say I'm a bit poorly and will be coming on later as a foot passenger or by plane and if he has to pay extra then I'll pay it back to him later. just wondered if anyone had been in the same position and what the ferry co had done.

Colin, did you pay by card? Not sure about P&O, but with Eurotunnel you have to present the same card at check in. Would you give your card to your Son? Also, have you checked your insurance? We had a problem a few years ago when our son wanted to take our MH abroad. Even if we had him as a named driver, he could only drive it abroad if the main driver was with him. Maybe it would be safer to try to change your booking.

This sounds like Colin really knows the answer to his questions but is hoping against hope. Last time I took the ferry all I had to supply were our passports which were checked on the computer against our booking so I can't see how you can by pass the system.

pottypam - 2018-08-10 5:08 PM

Colin, did you pay by card? Not sure about P&O, but with Eurotunnel you have to present the same card at check in. Would you give your card to your Son? Also, have you checked your insurance? We had a problem a few years ago when our son wanted to take our MH abroad. Even if we had him as a named driver, he could only drive it abroad if the main driver was with him. Maybe it would be safer to try to change your booking.

I regularly use P&O, always booking online using a card. I have never been asked for the card when passing through the port, only passport and occasionally the booking reference.

Guest pelmetman
stevec176 - 2018-08-10 5:32 PM

This sounds like Colin really knows the answer to his questions but is hoping against hope. Last time I took the ferry all I had to supply were our passports which were checked on the computer against our booking so I can't see how you can by pass the system.

It depends on whether the OP has already supplied his passport details........If not then it prolly only a check to see if the passport holder is wanted by the fuzz........It's worth a try just to see if the system works ;-) ...........

The worse that can happen is he'll have to pay to change the names :D .........

pottypam - 2018-08-10 5:08 PMColin, did you pay by card? Not sure about P&O, but with Eurotunnel you have to present the same card at check in.

I'm not sure that's 100% correct? 
They say bring your card with you, but I have never had to show it. certainly not for the last 20-30 times I've used the tunnel over the last few years.

It's all automated at Eurotunnel - the camera identifies the number plate, the screen tells you your name, the machine prints a hanger & off you go.
If you don't give them a number plate to identify, you simply key in your booking number.

I think the possible problem for the OP will come at the passport control, although I think they are only looking at passports, not who booked something.

If he wants to try & wing it, as he says "ask for forgiveness", I would simply say if asked that the bookee is ill and couldn't make it. I very much doubt that they'll give two hoots.
What would happen if someone, (the bookee), were ill on holiday and flew home and the other half drove the vehicle back? 

Nothing I would venture?

You have to remember that the Camping Club, and not Colin, is the booker. Only the booker can alter the terms of the booking. So, if a change is necessary, it is only the Camping Club who can make it.

I think the worst that could happen is that because the named party leader is absent, boarding might not be permitted, with Colin's son having to make a fresh booking at the price prevailing on the day if the rest of the party decide to continue with the trip. Were that to be the case, the additional cost would be liable to be far greater than any alteration charge the club might levy, or an abandoned trip.

I do not know this from experience, though there have been posts on this forum about trying to vary directly with the carrier bookings made through the clubs, and those concerned were unhappy with the outcomes. It is unlikely (though possible) that Colins circumstances have never arisen before, so there should be a straightforward answer to his query, and also "native" knowledge of the kinds of wheezes that people try to pull, so if an amber light does go on, and questions are asked, I don't think anyone should be especially surprised.

Colin must do as he chooses, and accept the consequences if he is disadvantaged. Me? I'd just ask the club, explaining the circumstances, and see what they can offer, rather than trying to put one over on either the Club or P&O, but that is me.

laimeduck - 2018-08-10 7:13 PM
pottypam - 2018-08-10 5:08 PMColin, did you pay by card? Not sure about P&O, but with Eurotunnel you have to present the same card at check in.

I'm not sure that's 100% correct? 
They say bring your card with you, but I have never had to show it. certainly not for the last 20-30 times I've used the tunnel over the last few years.

It's all automated at Eurotunnel - the camera identifies the number plate, the screen tells you your name, the machine prints a hanger & off you go.
If you don't give them a number plate to identify, you simply key in your booking number.

I think the possible problem for the OP will come at the passport control, although I think they are only looking at passports, not who booked something.

If he wants to try & wing it, as he says "ask for forgiveness", I would simply say if asked that the bookee is ill and couldn't make it. I very much doubt that they'll give two hoots.
What would happen if someone, (the bookee), were ill on holiday and flew home and the other half drove the vehicle back? 

Nothing I would venture?

We have used the tunnel several times over the last few years and can’t remember whether I had to show my card or not! Do remember being shocked the first time we used it (about ten years ago) when the gantry flashed up “Welcome Mr. Brown”. Couldn’t work out how it knew who we were.

we use Brittany Ferries and as a member of their club, the booking is made in my name and gives the full discount. The registration number of ther van is required on the booking form.

When we check in the reg no comes up on the ANPR, and we dont seem to be required to produce anything other than the passpoort, from which the computer is checked plus a visual check of me as driver and my wife as passenger. I would suspect if the actual person driving was someone else then that would be picked up at that check in stage.

I suspect also that there could be repercussions if the passport and booking did not match the person drriviing/booking ?

Perhaps I err on the cautious side, but if as mentioned you booked through the C&C then I would suggest you put the potision to them in advance rather than risk someone else turning up at the ferry and being refused, or having to pay substantially more at that time..

As mentioned by others, I suspect you do really know what the answer is ikely to be?!

Hi

It says on my P & O booking confirmation

Any amendment to person details such as name of travelling passengers made at check in will incur a charge of £10 per person.

So some changes are ok, but I would phone first.

Paul

P&O Ferries’s terms and conditions are here

http://www.poferries.com/en/terms-and-conditions

with information on amendments, cancellation and refund in Section 4.

Logically, it shouldn’t greatly matter to P&O that Colin won’t be present on the crossing to Calais as there will be one less ‘already paid for’ traveller on that trip. If an extra person were to be travelling with the party, that person would not have been paid for at the booking stage and it would be expected that P&O would impose an additional charge for that person to travel and possibly an amendment-charge too.

Me, I’d contact P&O first and explain the problem. It may be that, as Colin booked through a 3rd party, P&O will direct him back to the Camping Club, but that can’t be known until he gets in touch with P&O.

If Colin is concerned over a hefty surcharge being imposed, he can make his enquiry hypothetical (eg. “I may not be able to travel as I’m waiting for details of a hospital appointment. If I can’t travel, what effect would this have?”)

It must be reasonably common for someone in a small group of people booked on a cross-channel ferry route being unable to travel, so P&O (and the Camping Club) should be able to advise on what their policy is.

Brian Kirby - 2018-08-10 7:20 PM

I think the worst that could happen is that because the named party leader is absent, boarding might not be permitted, with Colin's son having to make a fresh booking at the price prevailing on the day

If he's not personally a member of the club he'd not be intitled to the club discount I should cancel and make a new booking not take chances of what may or could happen

Derek Uzzell - 2018-08-11 7:14 AM ....It must be reasonably common for someone in a small group of people booked on a cross-channel ferry route being unable to travel, so P&O (and the Camping Club) should be able to advise on what their policy is.

Unfortunately it seems to be commonplace for carriers to construct their terms and conditions to exploit situations like this rather than to play fair as we would regard it.  In effect their T&Cs build in these opportunities to exploit captive last minute customers and they take them.  Turning and trying to blag your way through would risk having to rebook at last minute rates.  Cheaper overall to cancel and rebook in good time to avoid the last minute hike in prices.

I wouldn’t argue with your comments about restrictive terms and conditions, and it may turn out that cancelling/rebooking will turn out to be Colin’s best (or most risk-free) approach. But doing this without first checking with P&O and the Camping Club would IMO be just plain daft.

Depends how much discount you got. P&O are certainly going to charge for an amendment and i've no idea what their rates are as i've not used them for years after switching to DFDS. I've amended a return booking with them a couple of times and they charged me £10.

Online ferry bookings are a bit bonkers anyway. When i left UK the ferry was showing "full" yet there was hardly anyone onboard. Book the cheapest crossing then rock up at mid-day peak fare....you'll still get on!

Brian Kirby - 2018-08-12 1:12 PM

But, Colin booked through the Camping Club, not with P&O, and P&O only release a fixed number of places to the Camping Club at the discounted rates. I understand (rightly or wrongly) that P&O's standard Ts and Cs do not apply under these circumstances.

Some years ago there were strikes at fuel depots in France and diesel-fuel was becoming difficult to obtain. We were in France at the time having Channel-crossed with Britanny Ferries, but with the crossing booked via the (no longer trading) Motorhome Ticket Club. Like many UK motorists we decided to flee for home, turned up at the Ouistreham ferry-port and were told that, as we’d booked through MTC, we ought to contact them to have the booking amended. However Brittany Ferries must have accepted that this was an exceptional situation, did not press the point and allowed us to board with no extra charge being imposed.

In early-June 2012, when I was scheduled for a knee-replacement operation on July 1, we had crossed to France for a fortnight’s holiday as I would be unable to drive for at least 6 weeks after the operation. We both knew that there was a fair risk that my knee would play up during the holiday and, after 5 days it did. My wife does not drive our motorhomes, so we (or rather I) decided to return home at that point. This time our booking had been directly with Brittany Ferries, so there was no difficulty amending it when we arrived at the ferry-port. I had hoped Brittany Ferries would take pity on me as I limped pathetically to the information desk on my crutches and not charge an amendment fee, but this time I was out of luck...

It’s probable that Colin will need to discuss this potential problem with the Camping and Caravanning Club (which I assume is the “Camping club” he refers to in his original posting) but I can’t see any point in speculating when the ball is clearly in his court.

Derek Uzzell - 2018-08-13 8:42 AM

It’s probable that Colin will need to discuss this potential problem with the Camping and Caravanning Club (which I assume is the “Camping club” he refers to in his original posting) but I can’t see any point in speculating when the ball is clearly in his court.

Possibly will have to as his 'discount' went via them. It's a genuine case though and not as though he's after a better sailing time or whatever.

I forgot....there was one time DFDS got 'a bit stroppy' with me over an amendment. When i got robbed in Spain and returned to Dunkerque minus cash, bank cards, passport and even driving licence. Despite explaining the situation they wanted money i hadn't got so i went back to the Immigration officer i'd reported to and he sorted the matter out.

Archived