Ferry prices

Mickydripin

Hi all

I have just been looking for prices to get to france and was supprised at the cost I put in that it was for return and when I started to fill in the form it went to both outward and inbound journeys in the end it turned out that the cost for the train was around £350 and Portsmouth to Caen around £450 have not tried Dover to cal yet but am I doing it right how do you regulars do it can you get it any cheeper and this is only for a sub 6Mt campervan.

Any help would be really helpful,

Mike.

The prices go up as you get closer to departure, so it's best to book at least a week ahead of your planned crossing. Corssings do however seem to be dearer at the moment, perhaps because of increased traffic because of looming Brexit.

We always use the tunnel as it is so convenient and quick. Getting the ferry is a bit of a faff, but it does depend on where you are starting your journey and where you are heading.

They don't seem to put the cost up for extras like a Bike rack etc.

It usually comes in at around £235, from memory and that includes the extra charge for taking a mutt.

Will be out next week, Sunday afternoon, on the tunnel, 7.5 m van plus dog £174 single, which is in the ballpark of what you are looking at if I doubled it to 348 for a return. DFDS from newcastle to Ijmuiden where in 4 figures for the same crossing, and this was being booked at least a month in advance. The ferry companies know when its the school, bank or any other holiday and will capitalise on that, especially DFDS, the tunnel have a different "bums on seats" attitude and hence are a lot more flexible.

At the end of the day my advice would be< way up the options and calculate the difference including the diesel and your time.

We bought / joined the Eurotunnel frequent traveller; here you effectively buy (at least) 10 singles at once for 460€ and book them as you need them, thus each crossing costs 46€ plus 12€ Moho supplement off peak. Certain peak dates and times cost 30€ more, but these are no problem to work around as there are plenty of free aires within easy range of Calais. You can even overnight at Cite de Europe although we haven’t yet (is it noisy??). Some folk share a “book” of 10 tickets with a friend if they won’t use 5 returns a year themselves.

This has worked really well for us this year. The dog is in with us, not away in a kennel or left in the van. Dog costs 18€ (instead of 19€}. Also, we heat a flask of boiling water before we check in and make a brew to have with our sarnies or breakfast on the train (depending which way we’re going).

You can also amend your booking FOC like for like if over 24 hours before travel.

The tunnel in our opinion is THE way to cross in a motorhome.

https://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/tickets-and-fares/become-a-frequent-traveller/

good morning,

We paid 235 in june with the tunnel and we are paying 533 in sept with Brittany ferries night crossing with cabin . We would have gone with BF in june but that month was going to be expensive. It is best to book well in advance.

Portsmouth-to-Caen is a Brittany Ferries (BF) route

It’s possible when booking through the BF website to choose either ONE WAY or RETURN TRIP

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/booking/routes?tok=d3c09d56452b23ee3e2e3e1c1d3e3fe22d4c024a

and the cost will vary according to the type/size of vehicle, the number of travellers and the date/time of the crossing. The cheapest ‘western’ crossings are likely to be via BF’s Portsmouth-to-Le Havre “économie” route.

We travel exclusively with Brittany Ferries using the Portsmouth-to-Caen route, last-minute booking and normally travelling Sunday-afternoon (outwards) and Thusday-morning (inwards) as this suits us. As we travel to France about four times annually, we are members of BF’s Club Voyage scheme that provides a 30% saving on France sailings and a free cabin on the crossings we choose. The Club Voyage scheme has a £75 registration fee and a £75 annual membership fee, so one needs to travel regularly to really benefit.

StuartO - 2019-08-09 4:50 PM

The prices go up as you get closer to departure, so it's best to book at least a week ahead of your planned crossing. Corssings do however seem to be dearer at the moment, perhaps because of increased traffic because of looming Brexit.

That may well be true of most routes, but not P&O Dover-Calais. I always book the day before and never pay any more than had I booked several weeks in advance. The only time it does go up - and quite substantially - is if you book on the day you want to travel.

I went out in June and back mid July, also with a 6m motorhome, and paid around £75 each way. I could have got it a bit cheaper very early morning or late evening, but as far as I can remember the saving would have been less than £10 each way.

We have been members of the spanish side and now the French side of BF for 20 odd years cost no where near as much as you have to pay if your not a member, we take our burstner ixeo return book 3 months in advance( as you can change it free if you have to.)this sept; it cost us £235 rtn;booked last may poole to Cherbourg no cabin.the discount is 30% so using it once is beneficial but we go twice a year so for £75,great deal also 10% discount on some foods. Fesspark

Guest pelmetman
StuartO - 2019-08-09 4:50 PM

Increased traffic? :-S ........

When we came back to Blighty on the 1st of July the ferry was almost empty when we left Le Harve :-| .........

Maybe they're all going the other way? :D .........

BTW already booked for September, one way for camper + trailer + Cabin + 2 people + dog = £213 using SIL's BF frequent traveler number B-) ..........

Guest pelmetman
stevec176 - 2019-08-10 4:45 PM

The price isnt the problem, where are the BF ferries to Santander and Bilbao from Portsmouth. Went to book to go the middle of September and there are very few and those are full. Have made the only available on the 30 Sept.

They did have a ferry catch fire back in April so I suspect they maybe a ferry down? ;-) .......

https://worldmaritimenews.com/archives/275831/brittany-ferries-ship-hit-by-engine-room-fire-off-france/

Although we have given up trying to book a direct ferry to Spain because we have a dog *-) ...........

You've more chance of getting a cabin on the Titanic, than booking a pet cabin on a BF Ferry to Spain 8-) ..........

pelmetman - 2019-08-10 5:03 PM

They did have a ferry catch fire back in April so I suspect they maybe a ferry down? ;-) .......

In April 2019 there was an engine-room fire on Brittany Ferries’s “Pont Aven”. It was originally anticipated that the ferry would be repaired quite quickly, but it did not recommence services until June 14. The ship is currently off the west coast of Finistere heading south towards Santander at 21.7 knots.

...........................................................................................................................

Details of Club Voyage (France) and Club Voyage (Spain) are shown here

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/club-voyage/france

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/club-voyage/spain

It will be seen that, to join Club Voyage (France) currently costs £150 (£75 + £75) and to join Club Voyage (Spain) costst £230 (£105 + £125). So, if the intention is to travel with Brittany Ferries to either of those countries just once, it may not be financially worthwhile joining.

Every winter Brittany Ferries lay up certain ships / get them in for repairs etc. Which meant last year the Spanish routes were booked months in advance. (We we’re moving to Spain and had to go into St Malo)

This coming winter Pont Aven will be laid up for 3 months while it’s engine room is refitted after the issues a few months ago.

Due to Brexit. BF was chartering an extra boat, not sure if they will keep it for the winter.... originally it was due to be only for the original Brexit date of March 2019.

BF also have complications that their new ship has been slower to build and has impacted on next years timetable already. It was due to be handed over I think for Spring 2020, now it’s much later.

On the positive side, we are about to embark on our 6 week tour of the UK from our base here on the Costa Blanca. We sail from Dieppe next Wednesday £162.50 and returning with BF Portsmouth to Caen overnight late September £305 with a cabin. Both were booked in June for a 8m motorhome. By comparison to some of the prices above they sound expensive, but at the time we did our usual shopping around. We don’t belong to the BF frequent user club, but I always check prices on the caravan club site as well....

If you see a Spanish Reg Benimar on the roads, give us a wave ! ??

Archived