Ferry to France after Macron lockdown?

curdle

Must admit we are suffering from cabin fever too. Somehow walking and cycling just don’t compensate for the lack of sunshine!

Trouble is, the restrictions may be lifted in France and/or Spain but until our government rescind the “emergency travel only” advice I doubt you would be able to buy adequate health insurance.

Cattwg :-D

Good afternoon,

An hour or two ago I was wondering whether I should book the tunnel for end of May /June. I think it will be safe then. I like many people are thoroughly cheesed off having cancelled two month long trips this year

Don't know about Getting cabin fever,,, HAVE GOT it lol.

Yes looking to go soon as we can. Some good news today ---No need for International Driving Permit in France.

From the British embassy in Paris today

"There is also good news for people who plan to visit France after the end of the Transition Period – UK licences will be recognised without any additional documentation. That means that there is no requirement for an International Driving Permit. You should, however, carry proof of insurance with you, which can be obtained from your provider."

Zydeco Joe - 2020-12-01 5:47 PM

Yes looking to go soon as we can. Some good news today ---No need for International Driving Permit in France.

"There is also good news for people who plan to visit France after the end of the Transition Period – UK licences will be recognised without any additional documentation. That means that there is no requirement for an International Driving Permit. You should, however, carry proof of insurance with you, which can be obtained from your provider."

Great news. So that's one country not requiring an IDP, only 26 more EU countries to go. (lol)

Matrix Meanderer - 2020-12-01 10:56 PM

Zydeco Joe - 2020-12-01 5:47 PM

Great news. So that's one country not requiring an IDP, only 26 more EU countries to go. (lol)

Did the UK agree to recognise the EU driving licence as a default position or were there reciprocal agreements?

I receive the updates from the Uk governments travel page.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/france

It was updated today but there was no mention of IDPs, however, this site seems to confirm that none of the Western European countries require one, ie. France, Spain, Portugal, Netherlands, Belgium and Germany.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad/international-driving-permit

Curiously it is not being mentioned on any other forum that I visit (and there are many).

Davy

Yes I am considering it!

Was in Benicassim Oct/Nov and very enjoyable

Looking at the Christmas Break where travel is allowed and also gets us away before brexit.

FYI travel insurance is available covering areas where travel is not advised by FCO, I used Battleface

Brian

colin - 2020-12-07 3:28 AM

curdle - 2020-12-06 7:08 PM

What part of the world are you in? Your post shows you at 7th December 1.54 a.m.? (My post back at approx 19h06 6th Dec).

If you are looking at BMC, shows as 6th 6:54pm on my pute.

Sorry, my mistake. I normally access from Asia. My UK computer is OK but it seems I should log pout and then back in for the forum to recognise location.

Archived