Fiamma Canopy

keen canary

Hi all.

Just a couple of weeks ago we decided to take our two berth MH up to Burnham Deepdale North Norfolk.

Arrived on site and set up. Last job was for me while my wife made the tea was to wind down the Fiammer canopy, peg the posts down and put in place the telescopic centre support Bar.

My wife was saying its a little to windy for that but I knew best and carried on. Hardly had I finished when a sudden gust of wind tried to wrench the canopy from the van . Together we quickly put away the canopy but only to discover the centre support bar was bent. I tried in vain to straighten it, only making things worse.

Since being at home and with the aid of a bench vice I have managed to straighten it out to about 80% of what it used to be, but being telescopic it is very difficult to slide in and out. A small amount of oil helps but can get messy. A replacement bar is expensive and I was wondering if any one had any ideas or tips please.

Thank you .

Keen Canary

I can't visualise the bar, but if it is telescopic I assume it is round? (and I would guess aluminium or similar?) The fact you got it onto a bench vice suggests it is removable?

Two Possibilities spring to mind:-

1) A pipe bending spring as used to be used by plumbers?

2) A trip to a friendly blacksmith? I have used a blacksmith to straighten all sorts of things that I have bent! While aluminium may present a problem, they are now used to working with all sorts of materials and more often than not make artworks these days and are very inventive & rescouceful.

That's my pennyworth!

You were very lucky. We'd had our new van a couple of months and decided to have an awning fitted. A couple of months later, having only used it a few times, I had just wound it out but before fixing it down when a sudden gust of wind came and ripped the whole assembly off the van and dumped it on the ground on the other side of the van. The awning was written off but thankfully the van wasnt damaged. Had to buy a replacement and now I'm now very cautious about using it.

Archived