Fiamma F65 awning parted company with van

Ianbts

I have (or had) a Fiamma F65s 370, fitted by the supplying dealer, to a 2007 Fiat Ducato van conversion, the rear mounting bracket came away from the van pulling the whole unit off the van and destroying the awning.

The awning was fitted with 2 brackets, which was correct at the time apparently. The fitting kit is now made up of three brackets with the addition of a middle one - I think I know why!

There was no indication that the awning had come loose and the mounting pllar on the van is intact, so I don't know why this happened.

It might be worth checking if you have one of these awnings fitted on two brackets.

Guest pelmetman
Ianbts - 2019-07-12 12:33 PM

I have (or had) a Fiamma F65s 370, fitted by the supplying dealer, to a 2007 Fiat Ducato van conversion, the rear mounting bracket came away from the van pulling the whole unit off the van and destroying the awning.

The awning was fitted with 2 brackets, which was correct at the time apparently. The fitting kit is now made up of three brackets with the addition of a middle one - I think I know why!

There was no indication that the awning had come loose and the mounting pllar on the van is intact, so I don't know why this happened.

It might be worth checking if you have one of these awnings fitted on two brackets.

Mines been held on by just 2 brackets for 25 years ;-) ...............

Are you one of these folk who like to wind their awnings out unsupported for yards, so that you can reach the legs? 8-) ........

I've only ever wound mine out a few inches to enable me to access the legs with steps :-| ........

Have to say I've even seen people with them fully wound out with no legs???? 8-) ......and what's taking all that downward weight?........2....maybe 3 little bolts *-) ..........

BKen1 - 2019-07-14 3:41 PM

The awning should be secured to the brackets with either screws or bolts as per picture .

That looks like the side of a coachbuilt Brian. The OP's post says his is a PVC (van conversion), where the awning is usually roof mounted using brackets that fit to pre-installed roof-rack mounting points.

Ianbts - 2019-07-12 12:33 PM

The awning was fitted with 2 brackets, which was correct at the time apparently. ……………...

I've found 2010 Fiamma instructions C/O Leisure Outlet, that show only two brackets, with the following warning: ATTENTION - Periodically check the brackets to make sure it is firmly attached (especially after the first kilometers) make sure the bolts are not loose and that the holding brackets have not shifted.

Should be a regular service item. I wonder how many dealers do this?

I wonder who would check this. Fiat would not and I am not sure that a routine habitation check would include this. Would a habitation check include checking the security of fittings such as awnings, underslung gas tank, underslung water tanks, pipes and brackets or other fittings such as windows, hinges and other fixtures or does it just cover gas and electrical systems and a damp check. I have our van checked over every year by the supplying manufacturer Vantage and they check that everything is still as it should be as it left their factory down to identifying last year that there was some surface rust on some pipe clips under the van which I then treated.

Billggski - 2019-07-14 8:37 PM

I actually check all these things myself, usually in the spring or before a long trip.

This time I found a screw loose on my awning bracket and the grey water pipe loose.

Just preventative maintenance.

[/QUOTe]

Those two words can make all the difference Preventive maintenance.

Archived