Fiat 2009 /2010 X250 Fog Lights (Rear)

tonyishuk

Not the news I wanted, the mhome came back as a MOT failure. The rear fog lights not working.

I had the problem before, there were bad connections in a junction box half way down the chassis.

This time it may be a fuse problem because the indicator lights in both the front and rear fog switches do not light when pressed. (There are no front fogs, but the indicator light did light originally)

My Fiat book states the front fogs work on fuse F30 located in the engine bay. There is no mention of a fuse for the rear fog lights.

Anyone know if the fuse F30 is used for both sets of fogs, or is there an undocumented fuse location for the rear fogs ?

Thx. Rgds.

Yes the dashboard bulb is lit showing failure.

Last time this happen, the led indicators in the switches lit up although the rear fogs did not (later to found dodgy wiring by Mr Rapido)

This time the led indicators are not lit up when the switches are pressed . Al the other switches on that consume work and light up.

Taking a look at F30 fuse in the engine bay, although I have a sinking feeling that it will be ok after fighting taking thr fuse cover off.

Rgds

A couple of questions to those that might know regarding tow bar wiring.

As a general rule do the rear fog lights turn off when a trailer / caravan is connected?

I would assume that the fog light circuit is carried through to the rear of whatever is being towed.

Fuse F30 is ok, knuckles are not ! I am sure a little more space around the fuse box could have allowed.

Rgds

tonyishuk - 2016-04-08 3:27 PM

As a general rule do the rear fog lights turn off when a trailer / caravan is connected?

Rgds

.whilst it may depend on the particular method of wiring, the fog lights on my X290 are inhibited by the lighting board on my chassis mounted bike rack (which, of course, has its own fog-lighting, which remains functional).

AIUI, this is to avoid the dazzling effect of the (permanent, when in use) high-intensity lighting being reflected from whatever you are towing.

Tony,

The lighting wiring is shrouded in mystery but you may find the fuse that you seek is actually in the driver's footwell!

If you remove the plastic step on the drivers side you will find a couple of fuses to the rear below the seatbelt.

I have never had to fix a fog light but chassis cabs and extra long vans have a fuse there for the side marker lights so it's not inconceivable that the fog lamp one is there too.

Robinhood - 2016-04-08 3:35 PM

tonyishuk - 2016-04-08 3:27 PM

Rgds

.whilst it may depend on the particular method of wiring, the fog lights on my X290 are inhibited by the lighting board on my chassis mounted bike rack (which, of course, has its own fog-lighting, which remains functional).

AIUI, this is to avoid the dazzling effect of the (permanent, when in use) high-intensity lighting being reflected from whatever you are towing.

Don't know, so just a guess. If the above is true, have you checked the wiring to (and at) the trailer lighting socket? These things used to be a real source of pain as they were poorly weatherproofed and prone to corrosion at the contacts. I'm just wondering, in view of your question (which I assume means you have a trailer socket) whether there is a fault of some kind within the socket that "looks" as though a trailer is connected. Apologies if irrelevant.

Thanks for you replies, I will investigate to morrow.

As said before the F30 fuse is ok.

I was wrong about the LEDs in switches ( as other switches in that console have) The front and rear fog light warning lights are displayed on the dashboard. I obviously don't use them that often :-)

I thought I had cracked it, then I found out for some reason the fog lights were working but were / are lighting the side light circuits at the rear not the front.

I have the Rapido booked into our local tow bar supplier (Tanfield Towing, Horsham. ) who have sorted problems with odd bits and pieces of mine over the years. I suspect Brian's observations are near the mark. The tow bar and electrics are a few years old now.

The wiring connecting the trailer lights and relays look a jumble of snap lock connectors so anything could have happened. They are in the passenger footwell battery box.

Thanks for the advice re fuses, I will have a poke around and see if there are any odd covers etc covering wiring.

Time for a cupa methinks

Rgds

I had an intermittent reversing light fault on my Golf. It was initially solved by unplugging and replugging the lead into the back of the bulb cluster and generally fiddling around, which cured it for a few months. But then it became too frequent and I solved it by replacing the cluster itself. I guess there was a poor connection in there.

Thanks to deligent work by the guy at Tanfield trailers, who located the fault in the Rapido wiring loom. Nothing to do with the towbar wiring.

Not very impressed by Mr Rapido's standard of electrical work, See photo (if it attaches)

The connection from the Fiat loom to the Rapido loom was made with a spade male and female connector.

The wire on the spade (live when fog lamps lit), I would have thought the femail would be live as it has a cover) was crinped on the insulation, so no connection

The wires not soldered on either connector but left loose in the female side of the connector.

Thanks for your advice and observations.

Rgds

RapidoConnector.jpg.422919e82d2642c30d56dbc31ecb02d9.jpg

Archived