Fiat Cab Heater Temperature Control

whisturx

Has anyone had the problems I have with a 2013 Fiat 3 litre cab heater temperature control ? November 2016 the temperature control rotating switch would not turn above halfway ( lukewarm ) Unfortunately tried to force it and not a good idea !!

Took the van to a well known motorhome dealer in Warminster, Wilts who ordered a new Fiat heater control at £220 . Whole dashboard had to be removed and replaced with 8 hours labour £528 !!

I have not used the van more than about 5 nights away in winter 2017 as we spend summers in Spain and France. Just been away this week and the same problem has reoccurred . The temperature control stops at halfway so we had a chilly trip back on the coldest day (Thursday ) of this winter !

This time I have not tried forcing it. When replaced last time there was a mention of a control cable twisting ? Just wondered if anyone had had a similar problem and hoping there is a way to fix without 8 hours labour removing the whole dashboard again? The van is an A class Frankia.

There seem to be several reasons why they can jam. This post might be of interest, including comments from a Fiat Pro mechanic "whine0"

https://www.fiatforum.com/newbie-central/456359-heater-control-knob-will-not-turn.html

Unless your motorhome dealer is also a Fiat Pro network dealer, I'm curious as to why you relied on a MH dealer to fix a base vehicle fault, but in any case labour charges will form the bulk of the bill for a job like this and main dealer prices aren't cheap.

On a van out of manufacturer's warranty, I would look for a reliable and well regarded motorhome mechanic instead. Another forum member in your area might be able to help with suggestions. It might be worth approaching the original repairer first to see if there is any chance of a goodwill gesture, but due to the time elapsed, even though you say it has had little use, I would be surprised unless you already have a good relationship with them. In any case, the mechanic on the quoted thread says it is a very tricky job and I might no longer have confidence that they knew what they were doing?

Hello,

The heater controls are a weakness on the Ducato and it's French cousins. It stems from the connections and sliders on the heater box getting stiff and the excess force required to move them via cables and the rotary knobs on the dashboard and something has to give. I ordered most of my vehicles with climate control instead of basic air conditioning so as to remove the problem and it worked very well and was worth the extra expense. After discounts the difference was about £300.

The rotary controls of vehicles with no air con or basic air con can be replaced (with some difficulty) without removing the whole dashboard but access is very tight indeed and you need to have done it before! It is also possible to free-off the problematic sliders but if it has been a problem for a while; the damage to the controls will already have been done and replacement is inevitable. In the same way, just replacing the controls without taking time to free off and lubricate the heater controls will mean that the problem will return.

N

The worst 2 days of my life were when I had to free up a jammed linkage on a 2003 Ducato motorhome. Hours of work to get at the linkage and less than 2 seconds to free it. :-(

It never happened again but I think that is because I made a wish as I placed the left over screws in my right hand and threw them over my left shoulder for luck. :D

Thanks all. Does not sound like a DIY job for an amateur. Not sure I would know where the linkage etc. I was trying to free up was?

The heater controls have been replaced but phoning the original motorhome company in Westbury, I have discovered they have changed ownership and only operate out of Reading so I have no chance of a good will repair at the original depot !!

My nearest Fiat garage are more a Daf Trucks service centre and I have had some extremely expensive experiences with them before.

With a gunged up turbo costing £2000 to repair ,its not my year !!

One thing I forgot to mention is that my Frankia sourced in Germany came with a Webasto diesel heater that when turned on blows hot air through the Fiat cab heater pipes and controls. I think it also heats the radiator water ? I used the Webasto on Tuesday after a cold night to help clear the screen and it did not appear to be very hot. So tried to turn the Fiat heater control to hot and that is when the switch would not move above midway. Reluctant to turn back towards cold in case it stuck in cold position, as at least driving home it was warmish !

I wondered if the Webasto had caused a problem ?

whisturx - 2018-11-23 1:18 PM

I wondered if the Webasto had caused a problem ?

Is the Webasto an air heater or a water heater?

If an air heater then it depends how it has been connected in to the Fiat ducting, if a water heater then almost certainly No.

Keith.

• 3 weeks later...

Problem sorted ! Found a one man "real" mechanic who has his own motorhome. Took out the radio and removed the hinged locker below. It appears the heater was still the original, so never changed and the heater cable was jammed by the radio cables.

Re-routed the radio cables and the temperature control knob is now free and turns to maximum. And job done for under £100. So I know who will be servicing and MOT my van in future !

Result !

Archived