Fiat Ducato 2.3 2011 Throttle body problem?

goneroming

Hi everyone,

Just joined the forum. Been motorhoming for about 15yrs. had this one since June this year. Drives lovely but, think it`s got the Fiat bug!!! low power sometimes, engine light comes on, then goes off, engine nearly dies sometimes, then black smoke bellows out. After that it runs fine for days.

Have read the excellent info from Nick at euroserve regarding throttle bodies. The general recommendation seems to be, to replace the throttle body & solenoid valve and that solves the problem.

Am I right in thinking that?

Graham

Hi Graham,

I had starting problems with ours. Never failed to start but wouldn’t rev, lots of black smoke and it felt “throttled” sometimes. On Nick’s suggestion I changed the throttle body and the EGR vacuum valve.

It has absolutely transformed the motorhome.

I am sure it never drove this well when it left the factory. It flew through the MOT emission test even with a cold engine (the testing station is next to the storage yard where the motorhome is kept).

It wasn’t cheap as Fiat did the throttle body, about £600 ish as I recall. The vacuum valve I got off EBay from a dealer who was clearing some old stock, so I paid £50 for a boxed Fiat part.

The fix isn’t cheap, and I still put a tarpaulin over the engine when it is parked up, to keep the water off the electrics. I also improved the scuttle drains, sealed the central scuttle joint and installed a drain that takes water away from the vacuum valve and the engine cover.

Hope it helps. Nick certainly knows his stuff.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Pete

When my M/H throttlebody went it was just that it did not start 1st time and we lost no power., the warning light did come on though. We managed to do another 500 miles as we were in mid France. However the thing I do remember is that it had to have a new wiring loom as part of the fix as recomended on some forums and Fiat professional also recomended it. Luckily my M/H was one day out of warranty and Fiat met some of the cost.

How lucky you were, Fiat helping with the cost. The parts cost me £253.00 which includes throttle body, wiring loom, & Pierburg solenoid valve, which I think is a very good price. Don`t know if I will have a go at fitting them sometime when the weather improves or get my local garage to fit where I have it MOT.

My thinking on purchasing the parts now, although its now runs mostly ok, is Brexit!! Don`t know if parts will be freely available in the future, who knows.

Hi goneroming , I did this excact job myself under the guidance of euroserv .he is a top man and it saved me a lot of money but the risk is unbolting the old one as the bolts are prone to shearing,then they will have to be drilled out and this is not for the faint hearted unless you have the proper tools.Having said this on nicks advice a week before i did the job ,twice a day I applied WD 40 to the bolts and had no problems undoing them . To get at the thing the slam panel has to be removed and all the front grill . Good luck if you have a go and use copper greese on all the screws and bolts when you put it back together as that pays off later if you have to take it apart again. Hope this helps. Regards Tringy

Hi goneroming ,if I remember right the old body has the flap pivot sort of top to bottom and the new one the pivot goes sort of across sideways and I think it is so good the water ect does not sit on the top of the pivot pin on the new one.dont forget you also need a new longer lead as also I think the wires are a bit different. Regards Tringy.

Archived