Fiat Ducato 2.3 Check Glow plug

jonnyp

Hi all, I've just purchased a 2014 (Registered Mar 14) Swift Lifestyle 622 on a Fiat Ducato base, with the 2.3 Diesel engine. (130bhp, with 9000 miles. I've got the check glow plug warning come on, now, I've looked at the engine and can't find the Glow plugs, I know what I'm looking for, I've changed them before on other vehicles, but I'm stumped on this one; they are normally adjacent to the injectors, which I can see clearly. Having searched the forum, I can see that some vehicles don't have them and use some other device to pre-heat the bores of the engine to aid starting in cold weather, I've never come across this before, but then it is a Fiat :-D The vehicle starts and runs fine, but I can't just ignore it.

I suspect a wiring fault somewhere. Can anyone help and point me in the right direction? I'm happy to fault find and pull things apart.

Many thanks

Jon

Ninian - 2020-09-04 5:51 PM

F02 50a Glow plug heating (+battery)

This fuse is in the engine compartment. Worth a try nothing ventured nothing gained.

Many thanks for the quick response. I've had a look and funny old thing, my fuse box appears to be from the later 2015- model of Ducato. I've checked all the fuses and non appear to be blown.

I THINK this YouTube video would be relevant to the 130 motor of a 2014 Ducato

and the glow plugs (one arrowed in attached photo) are shown as being well down on the front of the cylinder-head.

(I’ve just glanced at the 2,3litre 150 motor of my 2015 Ducato amd I’m pretty sure the above is correct. Standing in front of the engine-compartment and looking downwards past the front edge of the black plastic cover over the cylinder-head, I could just see (towards the left) what I took to be electrical cabling connecting to a glow plug, and I assume there would be three more plugs along the head to the right. Getting at some of the plugs looks like real fun and having to remove a seized plug doesn’t bear thinking about.)

plugs.png.428d8d957dd76d00a16f2cfc2d2b5e3f.png

I suggest having a fiat specific diagnostic check before taking any action.

This will confirm what part of the system is faulty. The most likely is the heater plug control unit rather than a glow plug. This component (a sort of power relay) is fixed to the nearside inner engine compartment side panel under the fuse box cover. Its also possible to have a wire failure in the loom from or to the control unit.

Glow plug replacement should be a last resort as its common for the plug to snap leaving part in the head. This requires expert costly removal or head replacement.

As a diy test of the plug resistance, if the connector to the control unit is removed pins 6,1,2 and 3 connect to the plugs.

To access the plugs the front slam panel and grill need removal and the throttle body on the inlet manifold. Due to the effort required and the possible snap of a plug its well worth a full diagnostic.

Mike

Good Morning,

I have a 2014 ducato and the glow plug warning light comes on but If I turn the ignition until some of the lights go out and fire up the engine the warning light does not come on. Its bee like this for the past 3 years with no problem starting. I suspect it may be a bad component from this period.

Archived