Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD Fuel Injector pump (Mechanical)

Guest Steve Knight

Guest Steve Knight
I have a 1996 Ducato based Kontiki with a 2.5 Turbo Diesel engine with a mechanical fuel injector pump. There is a solenoid mounted under the injector which has a short cable going to another control lever (not the engine govenor control) on the underside of the injector body. The solenoid has one wire going to it. I have looked at the solenoid and lever and it does not seem to move when ignition is turned on or when the engine is started. I have found 12v at the electrical terminal when the engine is running but not when ignition only is on. Does anyone know what this solenoid does? It does not appear to be doing it for me! I have checked my workshop manual and it does not get a mention. I searched the internet but no answer yet. Thanks Steve

Guest Gordon
I`ll go for fuel shut off solenoid.Its energised to let the fuel through when running and stops engine when de-energised.Yes as some people are thinking,could have a switch on this wire to stop it being started by a tea leaf. As to no power when in ignition only,well start relay/sequence is not in force. Or is this,comes to mind something to do with the cold start arrangement !! Gordon.

Archived