Fiat Ducato 2008 - 3.0lt

Sherringham

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, so hopefully this post is in the correct section.

I'm looking for some help and advice please. I have a 2008 Fiat Ducato with the 3lt 160hp engine fitted. I have being having problems with the throttle body - it keeps throwing up the EML and performing badly when driven. After diagnosing the problem with their computer my macanic replaced the throttle body on it twice, but unfortunately to no avail... After the second time he recommended that I take my MH to a Fiat Dealership, which I did. At the Fiat Garage they replaced the throttle body and sent me on my way home. A few miles down the road, up popped the EML again, and the MH chucked and misfired all the way back to the Fiat dealership. After a few more weeks there, their macanic rang to say they had the problem solved and that they had to fit a different newer type of throttle body, as the original type were known to be faulty. I said great and went and collected my MH again, and drove it home problem free. A day or so later I went out to move the MH, but this time it would not start at all! Eventually after some time trying it rattled into life, but again it threw up the EML... I switched it off, and went to restart it but unfortunately it did not and has not started for me since. It will however turn over just fine.

I rang the Fiat dealership to see if they could come out to help me, but instead they said they could not and suggested to bring the MH back into them. As they are 50miles away from where I live, they suggested that I get my regular macanic to get the MH running again in order for me to drive it over to them.

So my regular macanic came out to me and plugged in his computer. This time his computer showed the code for a faulty Crankshaft Position Sensor.... At this stage I am very confused and somewhat frustrated!

My questions are: Could the two problems be linked (TB & CPS)? Has anyone experienced this before? I have read that when a throttle body goes faulty that there is some solenoid that also needs to be replaced along with the throttle body - any info on this would be appreciated?

Thanks in advance,

Liam

I'm sure a mod will move it soon.

Meanwhile, it looks to me like the TB is a distraction, but they are checked not just by reading fault codes, you need to pull the pipe off and check if it moves smoothly.

There are several possible problems.

TB, which looks like it's been OK.

Wiring, there are known issues with the loom and 'rusty junction'.

Mice in the inlet tract, the one which stumped the Fiat garage near us.

p.s. I'm not sure how the older type of TB could have been fitted as a replacement unless secondhand, as these where changed years ago, I can't see how the Fiat garage could have got hold of a old one.

(Moved to MM - Keithl)

Not much help to you I know but when I had a throttle body fault on my 2004 Ford I fixed it by taking it off and giving it a good clean with some carb cleaner. I had an EGR fault showing as well but I think this must have been due to a poor electrical connection. These things can be a nightmare.

This link is to a list of earlier forum threads that included the term "throttle body" and at least one comment from Nick Fisher (euroserv) who has provided expert Ducato-related advice here in the past.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/search/query.asp?action=search&searchforumid=all&keywords=Throttle+body&author=Euroserv&days=&Submit=Search

Archived