Fiat Ducato Dipstick Oil Level

ellen

The dip stick in our 2015 Fiat Ducato 130 has no oil level markings. Just got it back from service and the level seems much higher than the level I usually work too. The dip stick is shaped and is narrow and the bottom and wider a little way up. (Sorry it’s a little difficult to describe) I usually fill up to the top of the narrow part. Anyone any ideas Of the correct level?

Ellen,

From your description, it seems that you have adopted the correct "Full" mark, however may I suggest that you check your Fiat handbook.

In over 50 years of DIY motoring experience, I have always refilled the sump with the engine cold. In contrast current advice seems to be to check the oil level, with the engine warm, about 10 minutes after a run. This will allow oil time, to drain down from the top of the engine into the sump.

How much higher than normal is the oil level? Up to about 3mm should not be a problem, but if you are seeing substantially more excess level, you should ask your garage to remove the surplus.

I think that there was a thread relating to high oil level a few months ago.

Alan

There were two forum threads about a motorhome’s engine being over-filled with oil - an initial thread and a follow-up (links below)

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/gas-working-but-oil-level-over-max/49892/?DisplayType=nested&setcookie=1&go=Go

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/the-garage-did-suck-out-some-oil/49946/

The Fiat Owner Handbook for my 2015 Ducato says

The oil must be between the MIN and MAX marks on the dipstick

The dipstick of older Ducatos actually had MIN and MAX markings (as shown in attached photo below). However - as Ellen has said - the dipstick of recent Ducatos does not have MIN/MAX markings. Instead the width of the black flat section of the dipstick’s lower end is reduced on each side for about 60mm and the oil level should show up somewhere on that reduced-width section.

Starting from the left end of the black flat section that emerges from the silver spring that leads from the bottom-left corner of the photo, on a recent Ducato’s dipstick instead of there being a MAX line the width of the black flat section narrows significantly on both of its sides - and where it starts to narrow is equivalent to the MAX marking. The narrower section continues towards the bottom end of the dipstick and then widens to its full original width - and the point where it widens is equivalent to the MIN marking.

So Ellen filling to “the top of the narrow part” of the dipstick will (as Alan has surmised) essentially be filling to the MAX marking.

469677891_Ducatodipstick.jpg.db92657026445b68be5328208ba84561.jpg

Ellen,

I have the same dipstick as you, and you are reading it correctly.

I have found this is a constant problem with garages, not just for the motorhome, but for the car as well. Because of its viscosity oil - even old and used oil - will cling to the engine parts and it is almost impossible to drain it down to the last drop. Mechanics simply add the quantity of oil it states for the vehicle so you end up with slightly more, and because mechanics are timed on a job, it is quite rare to find one that will put most of the oil in, let it settle, then top it up to the correct level - just as we would all do at home.

Dipsticks however, are not a wholly accurate measure, just a guide. As Alan has advised, 2-3 mm extra is fine, but if it is a lot more than this take it back and ask them to drain a bit. I have done this before on a couple of occasions because I was advised that over-filling is just as bad for the engine as under-filling.

When I take my vehicles in for service now, I always ask them to put all but half a litre in, and then wait until I collect the vehicle to top up the last bit (with me watching). They think I'm a nuisance, but who cares, I'm paying enough for the service!

Regards,

I’ve now managed to find a picture of the complete dipstick assembly that is fitted to recent-ish Ducatos and the attached photo is of the dipstick’s lower end with the narrowed section that indicates the MAX down to MIN levels clearly visible.

The “ENGINE OIL” paragraph in the Owner Handbook for recent model Ducatos could definitely do with revision and a drawing of the current dipstick's ‘level checking’ section would be a godsend for owners who do not have mechanical experience.

Regarding when to check the oil-level, the Handbook advises

Check the oil level a few minutes (about 5) after the engine has stopped, with the vehicle parked on level ground.

1487885803_Ducatodipstick2.jpg.f1ba80340258fb3bf48a0449147d7184.jpg

Derek Uzzell - 2018-12-08 8:18 AM

I’ve now managed to find a picture of the complete dipstick assembly that is fitted to recent-ish Ducatos and the attached photo is of the dipstick’s lower end with the narrowed section that indicates the MAX down to MIN levels clearly visible.

The “ENGINE OIL” paragraph in the Owner Handbook for recent model Ducatos could definitely do with revision and a drawing of the current dipstick's ‘level checking’ section would be a godsend for owners who do not have mechanical experience.

Regarding when to check the oil-level, the Handbook advises

Check the oil level a few minutes (about 5) after the engine has stopped, with the vehicle parked on level ground.

Derek,

For the benefit of the less technically minded on the forum and to remove all confusion please could you annotate your picture with 'MAX' and 'MIN' marks.

Thanks,

Keith.

Keithl - 2018-12-08 8:58 AM

Derek,

For the benefit of the less technically minded on the forum and to remove all confusion please could you annotate your picture with 'MAX' and 'MIN' marks.

Thanks,

Keith.

That's fantastic.

Thanks Derek.

monique.hubrechts@gm - 2018-12-08 2:45 PM

And for the technical these two O- rings on top of the dipstick have an important function. Be sure that they are fully pushed in the tube by the user.

The photo I provided above was just of the lower part of the complete dipstick assembly, and I’ve attached a photo below (copied from this earlier forum thread)

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/OIL-Warning-message/46696/

that shows the complete assembly.

The two O-rings you mention seal the dipstick assembly where it enters the motor and (assuming that the assembly was fitted properly when the motor was built) the user of the vehicle will not see those O-rings nor have any need to do anything with them.

There is an O-ring seal on the (red) plastic knob at the top of the dipstick itself, and the vehicle user does need to ensure that the dipstick is pushed fully home into its tube.

dip-stick.jpg.cbd0a24c93f30010ea2a2098da953170.jpg

Archived