Fiat Ducato Speedo

bobmaddison

I'm not sure this is the correct place to seek this help but someone may know. We have a CI on a 04 Ducato.

For some time now when driving the engine note changes there is a slight drop in power and the speedo drops to zero, this can happen for anything from 1 second to 5 min, also when stationary ticking over the engine note changes and the speedo flicks up to about 60 MPH. The local Fiat dealer has had it in twice, changed the gearbox sender twice but cannot find anything wrong. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The last time I had a wildly fluctuating speedo (in my car) was because the battery was on it's last legs. Replaced the battery and all OK.

The OP's symptoms seem to be a little bit more intermittent but suggest he checks the starter battery and the earth strap between engine block and chassis. If it's a braided earth strap it might be worth replacing it with a round cable type, as sold at Halfords.

• 2 weeks later...

Bob

I have no knowledge of the Fiat as such but I recently had very similar problems on my car, a Ford Focus and found that there was a very common problem with the display cluster. I took it out and took it to a firm that checked and repaired them. The check part was a very nominal price, £10 I think and that identified that there was an issue and they then repaired it for about £60. I have a feeling that it was nothing more than a dry joint but it was fixed and with a dated seal on it with a five year guarantee.

There are a few dealers on ebay but I took mine to a place in Ripley, Derbyshire. It might be worth contacting one of the dealers and see if it is a problem they know of.

Try Fiat Ducato instrument cluster repairs as a search

Mick Bajcar

There are no known faults with the speedometer on Ducato's.

This, as suggested above is normally a poor earth. If it was not accompanied by a change in engine note i would suggest the dash earth point which is behind the EOBD port on the lower right side of the dash but with the engine fluctuation as well i would suggest that it is something like the electric fan cutting in and draining a lot of power from the battery, leading me to suspect the main earth in the engine bay below the battery platform. This will need removing and the earth stud cleaning before reassembling it securely. These vehicles do not require additional earth straps normally if everything is clean and secure. They are not the awful braided straps fitted to the later X250 vehicles.

Archived