Fiat Ducato X250 2.3L: removing air filter box.

TnT

How do I get the air filter box out so as to be able to change the earth strap? I removed the cover so as to remove the filter itself, removed the bolt on the right hand side as seen from open bonnet) that is apparently all that holds the box in place, disconnected the box from the air intake - but I've struggled till I was blue in the face and could not remove that box!

I tried removing the air filter box to gain easier access to the earth strap. This was on an A class van where engine access is far more difficult than on a standard cab.

In the end I gave up and installed a supplementary strap between engine lifting point and a convenient earth point on the chassis. Used a battery cable with eyelets either end, from Halfords.

TnT

This forum thread related to removal of the complete air-filter housing from a 2016 Peugeot Boxer.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Air-filter-housing-damaged/48318/

The discussion was in late-2017 (so some of the links may be ‘dead’ by now) but it’s plain that extracting the housing may be a challenge.

If replacing the original earth-strap does demand that the complete air-filter housing be removed (or partially displaced ) to gain the necessary access, you’d be better to follow Robbo’s approach and install a supplementary strap in a different position. (I’ve looked at my 2015 X290 Ducato and the strap’s fixing bolts seem to be reachable fairly easily - but my Ducato is LHD and gaining access to the strap may be harder for RHD models.)

I THINK Robbo may have fitted one of these

https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/battery-chargers-jump-starters/halfords-negative-battery-cable-45cm-18

rather than one of the braided earth-straps that Halfords also markets.

I notice that you enquired about earh-strap specification in this 2018 thread

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Ducato-X250-2-3-Multijet-Earth-Strap/48885/

Thanks, Derek.

I think with both you and Robbo advocating fitting an auxiliary earth lead rather than continuing the struggle to remove the air filter box I should take the hint and do the same. And thanks for the link to an appropriate lead at Halfords - I shall be off there shortly.

You picked up on the fact that I made a related enquiry last year. With no actual known earth problem at the time I put off doing anything but I've just had to abandon my holiday plan for this year so I am now getting on with a variety of long delayed tasks.

I used the 45cm cable from Halfords but it was a bit of a stretch. I had to extend the length by adding a metal spacer plate. I'd go for the 60cm length to give a bit more flexibility to the cable route.

On the chassis connection, I used the right hand vertical member (as you look at the engine). At the top of the member, you should find a spare predrilled and tapped hole which will accept an M6 bolt (from memory???).

Why go to the trouble of removing filter? I have just put an old truck battery lead as an extra earth on my 2007 X50 Murvi Morello and found that, from underneath, if I used the original chassis connection and one of the gearbox studs, while leaving the old strap connected, it was fairly easy. My new strap is positioned to run under the chassis where it might wear through the rubber coating but this will just add an extra earth point

• 2 weeks later...
47643 - 2019-08-27 5:12 PM

hi,

fitted additional earth strap from battery -ve jump start point to top of gear box. will attach pics.

best definition I could get for less than 100k. .

From the photo it looks like it could chafe on the hoses or cables unseen below the air filter box?

TnT - 2019-08-25 7:26 PM How do I get the air filter box out so as to be able to change the earth strap? !

One hammer an a piece of wood about 50cm long 15 x 30mm lie underneath tap it up where it is attached to the mounting it just has a tapered mount

Thank you, Witzend. Simple, really! I have fitted a supplementary earth much as Robbo described, but nevertheless I shall follow your advice: after all, I have paid (very) good money for an Auprotec earth strap so I might as well use it.

TnT - 2019-09-09 11:07 PM I have paid (very) good money for an Auprotec earth strap so I might as well use it.

I took mine out for another reason but it was really tight to start. With all this talk of earth straps I'm thinking of changing mine how long does it need to be ? I see 45 cm is short

witzend - 2019-09-10 4:26 PM

TnT - 2019-09-09 11:07 PM I have paid (very) good money for an Auprotec earth strap so I might as well use it.

I took mine out for another reason but it was really tight to start. With all this talk of earth straps I'm thinking of changing mine how long does it need to be ? I see 45 cm is short

You need to look where you are going to put it and measure it.

Some of the earth straps I have seen in accessory shops are a bit thin.

25mm2 is about right - I put a link to where I get mine from on the other thread

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/X290-earth-strap/52994/

witzend - 2019-09-10 4:26 PM

With all this talk of earth straps I'm thinking of changing mine how long does it need to be ? I see 45 cm is short

Well took it off found it to be in good order so refitted it it was easily done without removing the air filter with a 3/8 drive ratchet an 13mm socket it measured 20cm long with a 8mm hole one end an a 10mm the other

The problem of corrosion of the Fiat earth strap has been well documented: in summary, the corrosion taking place is galvanic corrosion between dissimilar metals INSIDE the crimped-on steel terminal and so may not be visible unless one cuts through the terminal where it is crimped onto the wire - after which you'll have to replace the lead anyway. I think it was Dave Newell who first documented this and advised replacing a Fiat earth strap every five years as a precautionary measure. (I can't find the link now I want to quote him!)

The issue was also covered by the late Allan Evans in

http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/earth-strap-problems.php.

Fitting an all-copper strap like the Auprotec in the original location may perhaps provide a lifetime solution to the problem. Fitting any type of strap of suitable cross-section anywhere where it is out of road spray is probably also a life-time solution. I guess its quite possible that if a supplementary earth strap is fitted, the original Fiat strap can be left to rot through.

Thanks to all who have responded to my original question.

Archived