Fiat Ducato or Citroen

Hans

I have driven both

Not noticed any difference in the suspension, and both engines run as smooth.

But the Ducato makes a different noise

The Ducato is more the sound the Italians seem to like - a roar when you put your foot down (lol)

In fact I began to wonder if the exhaust was blowing, but its a brand new van and apparently ok.

But both are quiet enough so don't let that influence your decision.

The relationship between the Fiat Ducato and its Citroen/Peugeot look-alikes is detailed in this Wikipedia entry , where it should become apparent that the powerplant is the main difference in many cases.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Ducato

Where motorhomes are concerned, for at least 25 years plenty of converters have chosen to build solely on a Citroen/Peugeot base rather than a Fiat one (possibly because the latter has tended to be more expensive) or to build some models on a Citroen/Peugeot and others on a Fiat. The most recent listing (2020 model year) that I have shows 11 Continental European manufacturers each marketing a mixture of Citroen Jumper/Peugeot Boxer and Fiat Ducato based models.

Nowadays, although the Boxer/Jumper and Ducato chassis are all assembled in Italy, the Boxer/Jumper motors currently come from a PSA factory at Trémery-Metz in north-eastern France.

When a motorhome builder offers a model that can be based on a Boxer/Jumper or on a Ducato, there’s no particular reason to think that the ‘chassis’ part of that model will differ. Globecar/Possl normally allows a buyer to choose any of its models on either a Citroen Jumper or a Fiat Ducato base (though only Ducato versions have been officially marketed in the UK) and - on a like-for-like model basis - the differences should relate to the powerplant/transmission and not to the suspension, brakes, steering etc. The most significant difference between the Boxer/Jumper and Ducato is that, since 2006, an automatic transmission has been available for Ducato, but Boxer/Jumper vehicles have always been manual gearbox only.

I don’t know what the situation is in Continental Europe, but - as far as I’m aware - in the UK for Citroen/Peugeot commercial vehicles/motorhomes - there is no equivalent to the Fiat services described here

https://www.fiatprofessional.com/camper

As mentioned in this CMHC forum discussion, this may present problems when a large-ish motorhome built on a Citroen or Peugeot base needs to be serviced, have under-warranty work done or be repaired.

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/club-together/discussions/information-technical-tips-advice/motorhomes/servicing-peugeot-base-vehicle/?p=1

We had one of the first original Robeta vans (pre greek model names) on a citroen light chassis and some details were amateurish at best. Air suspension was also one of the first things we installed as the van was on its bump stops already after a year (yet not even close to 3.5t when loaded).

I know they upped their game on later models significantly but (last I've seen, 3 years ago) still not to my (high) expectation. They've also made the decision to go for bling rather than practicality of the originals, further dampening my brand enthusiasm.

But overall, if you like their vans, I suppose they compete quite well with most.

on its bump stops already after a year (yet not even close to 3.5t when loaded).

They are not bump stops

They are spring assisters

The springs allow the extra travel needed on uneven roads (twisting motion) which can be a lot on a long wide van. eg tight hairpin bend on a hill (which you probably won't get up because of loss of traction, but can still get down)

I find you can significantly improve the ride by weighing each axle and reducing the tyre pressures to those recommended for that weight (but I have only had heavy chassis with 16" wheels)

Whatever they are, the leaf springs were flat. On the new van (peugeot heavy chassis and overall heavier), there is plenty of bend in them to actually do their job.

The (slightly weird) thing is that the old one had a better weight distribution front/back yet still the rear springs suffered.

spirou - 2021-09-17 7:34 AM

Whatever they are, the leaf springs were flat. On the new van (peugeot heavy chassis and overall heavier), there is plenty of bend in them to actually do their job.

The (slightly weird) thing is that the old one had a better weight distribution front/back yet still the rear springs suffered.

There was forum discussion 10 years ago about ‘flat’ rear springs on early Fiat Ducato panel van conversion motorhomes.

A photo was provided (copy attached below) and it was said at the time that this was the norm even when the PVC was in unloaded state, with the spring lacking the ‘arch’ that one might expect and the orange spring-assister being significantly compressed. It has to be said that - whether one calls the orange component a spring assister or a bump-stop - it’s hard to imagine the springing in the photo operating properly and easy to imagine that the vehicle’s ride quality would be unacceptably harsh.

The Robetamobil website is here

https://www.robetamobil.si/en/

243106227_X250PVCrearsprings.jpg.4b3df3a6226f680455b6dcbed1dbe79f.jpg

If you jack the van up using the jacking points on the bodywork you should see the springs do have an arch profile. It accommodates the large suspension travel needed for a long and wide rigid van on a twisting road surface.

There is a rear air suspension for ambulances and fragile loads travelling in the back.

But I wouldn't have thought it makes much difference to passengers travelling in the front?

We have had several coachbuilts on both Fiat and Peugeot base chassis cabs over the years, but nothing new, and our perception is that handling and ride has more to do with the individual van than with either marque.

I always found the Peugeot engines that bit quieter and less harsh particularly when pulling hard but in reality preference is in the eye of the beholder as fuel consumption and performance are similar size for size and nobody buys a coachbuilt for its handling and economy!!.

Archived