Fiat Ducato x250 3.0 Urgent help

ChrisLunar

Hi Group

I have a 3.0 2007 Fiat Ducato(Lunar roadstar)

I have inconsistent lack of power issues, start the engine and it either runs completely normal, or has a lack of power, feels like limp mode, but not sure it its. If I turn the ignition off, then back on, normal power is resumed. Anyone else had this issue as the fitters are struggling to find the fault.

When the Engine Management light comes on the computer says Boost Sensor and MAF Sensor

So far changed the following,

EGR

EGR Solenoid

Throttle body

Boost sensor and MAF sensor

Thanks group, Chris

Similar fault to that found in my previous 2005 Fiat mhome, which we sold due to the problem.

The fault was found to be partly corroded connector in a multi pin connector block mixed with badly made contacts where pins and sockets had climped the insulation but not fully connected to the wire .

Basically every pin and socket connection had to be checked.

Hopefully your problem is more easily solved.

Rgds

ChrisLunar - 2019-07-24 9:33 PM

If only that simple.

It took couple of thousand miles of occasional limp mode and probably a couple of thousand pounds before the mouse was found in our van, the EGR valve was checked under breakdown cover in France, and a local UK Fiat dealer had started advising replacing various bits without any improvement, when they said 'replace the throttle valve' I decided they had no idea, it took the combined effort of Nick Fisher and his then local Fiat dealer to find the problem, definitely not simple.

Hello,

I think you have a wiring issue. Because you have changed all of the items that could cause the problem, and assuming (because we have to) that all of these items are functioning correctly (but the throttle body may be faulty, there have been a few) then we have to assume that some signals are not getting where they need to. I suggest that the wiring loom and connectors under the engine fusebox need to be checked and then go on to the loom between the ECU and the engine. My guess is that you have a couple of wires rubbing together in the bundle of wires under the nearside headlamp. It is a laborious job to unpack the bundle and check through them but this is where most wiring faults will be found.

The reason that you have no power on start-up is because a reading from one of the sensors is not correct or is missing and a few minutes of idling will enable the system to figure out what works and what does not and allow you to drive it to a degree. If the initial period of idling with no power is accompanied by lots of grey/black smoke; the problem is definitely the throttle body or the wiring associated with it.

N

Or you have a mouse problem.

Hello guys and girls

New here although not new to motor homing, if you go to a garage to solve a problem and they change bits and pieces, but it doesn’t solve the problem why do you have to pay for it. they have not solved the problem.

Especially if it’s a Fiat dealer they should know what’s up not charge you for trying new bits to see if they work. Is that not what computers are for NO ?

Any way just a thought

Keffs - 2019-07-31 8:35 AM

. . .if you go to a garage to solve a problem and they change bits and pieces, but it doesn’t solve the problem why do you have to pay for it. they have not solved the problem.

Especially if it’s a Fiat dealer they should know what’s up not charge you for trying new bits to see if they work. Is that not what computers are for NO ?

Any way just a thought

I think it depends on the contract you have agreed with them. If you take the van in and they agree (in writing) a price to fix it then yes, no fix no charge. However I doubt that they would do that without knowing what the fault is. Instead, you are likely to be paying the garage to investigate the issue in which case the time and materials charges would in principle be valid. Of course if the van’s under warranty then that would be a totally different situation. It’s a sad fact that most garages now employ (cheaper) fitters rather than engineers so if the solution to a problem is not obvious, then the diagnostic technique used tends to be to progressively swap bits out to see if things improve rather than to professionally analyse the issue. It’s all part of the dumbing down of skills and replacing with algorithms to save money. We tend to see the same whenever we call a ‘call-centre’ – I’m sure we’ve all got tales of that frustrating experience especially when our request is ‘non standard’.

Archived