Fiat Engine/Autotrail 840

Guest Mand C

We've recently put a deposit down on an Autotrail 840. Went to the NEC show (just to reassure ourselves we'd got it right) and I believe we have for the layout and our requirements. However, one helpful punter frowned and sucked his teeth a lot when we told him our choice. His view was that the Fiat engine was no good - no power and would need an immediate upgrade to boost it. More worringly for me(southern softie with very little self-insulation) it is apparently freezing when driving. Any experience / advice?

Guest Brian Kirby
Well, it is a very large 'van and, at 4.5 tommes with 128 hp, it certainly won't be a ball of fire! It's not that the Fiat engine is no good, that's not the (possible) problem. More probably, it simply won't have sufficient power for a vehicle of that size. That is to say it will move the 'van along well enough on the flat but, if you're well laden, it'll need the lower gears as soon as you get to a hill. I do think equipping this size of vehicle with that engine is a bad decision by Autotrail. It seems the Mercedes chassis isn't an option on the 840, which is a shame since the 156hp engine would probably have been a better choice. Have you had a test drive? If Autotrail install (or you've opted for) supplementary road heating, to warm the back of the vehicle while en-route, it shouldn't be cold while travelling but, with such a large volume behind and without supplementary heating, it may well be chilly inside. Perhaps you should review your choice with the dealer before you get too locked in. I'm sure he wont quibble too much about a change if you're spending around the same sum, or more. Hope this helps Brian

Guest keith T
We have a Rapido 710 with this engine. It's quite a samll vehicle, especially it seems comp0ared wioth the one you are looking at. I cannot comment on engine power as its very good to for the Rapido. The heating however is not very good in c=really cold conditions, even wonce the engine warms up. Rapido fit a surther heated from the engine, which blows hot air forwadr from the rear, adn this is excvellent, and keeps us rally cosy when driving.Whether this is feasible in the AutoTrail, I don't know, but I have now had 4 Fiat/Peugeot bassed Motorhomes, all quite small, and none has really had what I would say is more than barely adequate heating from the engine.

Archived