Fiat X250 headlamp

Keith T

Hi, some info please, or advice....

.I have for some time had a problem on the nearside headlamp with condensation/ misting up on the inside. So far it has not been an MOT item, and until 2013 (van is 2007) it has almost cleared by MOT time.

It is steadily getting worse, and I suspect there will be a time when either the bulb/contact will fail, or there will simply be too much moisture to dry out .I believe this was a known problem on certain build dates.

I am investigating options for replacing the unit (I have had several 'alternative' ideas suggested!), and am trying to ascertain some idea of the cost...this seems to vary widely, as does the cost of the unit itself.

Has anyone had a similar problem, and had the new unit fitted, and I would be glad of some idea on what I should expect to pay for unit and fitting.

I think it may be better to get this done sooner rather than later.

Many thanks.

Loads of people complain about this, always seems to be the nearside one. It's easy to remove the headlamp, only two screws and a bolt. Take the unit inside and let it dry out in a warm room, you could try to reseal it with glue around the edges.

Many folk just despair and buy a new one eBay's the place of choice, remember if the item is not as described you should get your money back.

Not sure if this is pertinent, My x250 has not had any misitng problems, but I have stone guard plastic covers fitted. Maybe an insulation effect ??

That said, it can be a pain to have to remove the covers to clean the headlamp lens and inside the stone guard cover.

Rgds

Check the drainage channel under the bonnet. If it's blocked water could be flooding the channel immediately above your headlight. The drain hole is at one end, which can also cause the channel to flood if you park on a sideways slope. For your headlight to keep misting up there must be a source of water somewhere. Gone are the days of sealed beam headlight units. Don't seal yours, it is meant to be ventilated to disperse any water vapour. Your problem is it keeps refilling. You need to find where the water is coming from.

Archived