Fiat door mirrors

Guest Mike P

Guest Mike P
Hi Folks, Just taken a whack on the N/S door mirror of my Autotrail Tracker on Fiat Ducato.Although (irreparable) damage is only limited to the mirror pod itself, the Fiat main dealer says I have to buy the whole mirror unit including the arm that attaches to the door (£102)despite the fact that the pod removes with just two screws. Don't suppose anyone knows of a more sensible source of supply of pod only? Mike P

Guest Stuart
Can you get away with just new mirror glass? A replacement mirror for my Bel-Air was going to cost £599!! I went to a commercial vehicle dealer and found that I could buy a stick on mirror for about £5 and some double sided all weather sticky pads for £2.

Guest henry
try commercial breakers yards ( in yellow pages/internet/ebay) if only the glass have you thought of local mirror dealer who will happily cut one to size eg solar glass etc regards henry

Guest martin h
same damage being repaired at guest motors wolverhampton as we speak.will let you know tomorrow of full cost.by the way the mobilvetta is brand new and is in under warrenty for oil leek on power stearing,no questions asked so far! anybody know anything good or bad about mobivetta?

Guest Mike P
Update: On the basis of not being able to do much more damage I proceeded to dismantle the pod (if you push the big mirror to it's extreme you can reach a wire clip which when disengaged enables you to pull the mirror out. The damage was to the internal frame of the pod which mounts onto the sprung arm (both mounting points had broken off)and is removable by four screws. The internal frame itself was made of a very crystalline alloy (we used to call it monkey metal in Sheffield) so welding was out of the question. I eventually stuck it with epoxy resin spliced with glass fibre and heat cured it which seemed to work. It is now reassembled and apart from some crazing of the reflective surface in one corner it's as good as new. Incidentally, when I removed the glass I found it was a heated mirror but not connected to any wiring so presumably when you order heated mirrors as extra, your vast sum just goes to pay for a bit of wire and a switch! Funny folk these foreigners! Mike P

Guest martin h
re busted wing mirror. guest motors ordered the part from chasis no.from fiat and i might have GUEST it it was wrong!they sent a manual one but after hearing the price of the electric one i asked if they both looked the same.they did so i had the manual one fitted for £117 inc. i know thats still too much but if im going to bust it again on my travels it might as well be the lesser evil.ps. they fixed oil leak no quibbles.

Guest Steve
The manual one should be fine anyway. I have had my Ducato for over 3 years now and have not had to adjust the wing mirrors since I got it. Steve

Archived