Fiat speedo sensor (VSS) info required

pkc

I need a speed sensor for a 2003 Ducato 2 litre diesel, found what I think is the correct one on Ebay.

FIAT ULYSSE 97 SPEED SENSOR RPM GAUGE 616070 .

Which is used on a number of Peugeots, can anyone with access to the relevant part manuals confirm that this is the correct one before I have to give Fiat large amounts of beer money?

Hello,

I have looked on the Fiat parts system and found that the sender unit from the gearbox used for the 2.0 JTD from 2002 to 2006 is only used on that vehicle and the part number concerned has no other applications apart from Ducato. It does appear to be the same unit used on all variants and engine sizes though so if you can find a used one for a 2.3 or 2.8 it will be ok. Part number is 1332811080 and last price I have is approx £90 inc VAT

Nick

Thanks for that Stewart, it would appear that they are the same engine, and hopefully the same (cheaper) sensor, I will check it out.

Again thanks to all for your posts, and to Alf for your PM.

Hi Simon, and welcome.

The Peugeot dealer wanted £106 for part No 616083' so I have ordered mine from the Fiat dealer for £90, ouch! I Found a earlier post from Davenwell on how to check the sensor, perhaps if Dave is watching he could flesh it out a little.

You have a PM.

Okay, the VSS can be tested with a simple voltmeter/ohmeter. There are three wires to the VSS, one carries battery voltage with ignition on, one is the earth return and the third will be the speed signal output. I won't quote wire colours 'cos they have been known to change depending on model/year.

To test:

Raise the front wheels off the ground and support with axle stands. Crawl under the nearside just behind the front wheel to do these tests, the VSS is on the offside of the differential casing.

Ign on and probe with your meter (you will have to pierce the insulation of each wire, I use the plastic centre of an ex roll of insulation tape as a thimble to prevent piercing my finger at the same time), one wire should show battery voltage and another wire should show a good earth (Zero Ohms), once you have identified these two wires the third will be the speed signal. With your meter set to DC volts and the probe piercing the wire turn the drivers front wheel slowly and if all is well you should see the voltage reading change from near zero to plus 10 volts (ish) and back to near zero.

If you can't detect a battery voltage on any of the wires then a fuse would be the most likely suspect (sorry, I don't know which one). If there is not a good earth you need to locate where it should be and make good (not a likely scenario to be honest). If there is a good live feed and earth but no variation in voltage on the third wire then the VSS is the culprit, simples!

D.

That great info thanks. I'll try this before spending out on a sensor but I think it's the problem. Speedo flickers when ignition switched on then sometimes works or not at all then you can be doing say 30mph it will show 80 mph.

Simon

Well the good news is that the van now has a functioning speedo that is now on speaking term with the ECU, but not without a few ‘hiccups’.

Having raised the offside of the van to prevent the oil escaping from the gearbox I then neatly laid out the 10 m spanner, screwdrivers, new sensor etc, (Mr Organised that’s me) to effect the repair.

Under the van whipped out the old sensor and with the other hand popped in the new one in 10 seconds flat with hardly a trace of escaping oil.

From under the van now, inspecting the old sensor revealed that it had a pretty blue helical cut gear still attached!

Back under the van for a matinee performance to replace said gear,

On levering myself from under the van by pulling on the lower door sill I managed to sway the van just enough to make the open cab door close on my fingers.

It gets better.

The pain in my hand caused me to attempt to sit bolt upright, bring my head into intimate contact with the catalytic converter.

Can there really be a God?

Shoot out from under the van, accidentally kick the front tyre several dozen times. Quite hard.

Wife storms back into the house muttering something like “ mating display of silverback gorilla” , “such language in front of the grandchildren”,

So I’m sat here after a botched one handed attempt to open a bottle of wine, drinking a glass of whisky I rescued from under the sink.

All in all not a bad day really.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

new here, and yes i have the same problem, just phoned fiat and i am looking at £90 for the part, just wondering, as there has been no answer, has anybody used the pugeot part, or any other part, or is it repairable, £90 is a bit much,

thanks

• 1 month later...

I have a 2003 Peugeot Boxer 2.0 HDi Compass Avantgarde 100, 25k miles. January 2011 Speedo suddenly fell to zero and odometer/trip meter also not working. After reading comments on this forum I bought a speedo sensor and fitted it myself...Eureka! speedo working again. (Fiat part is cheapest @ £85 retail). Fitting is a doddle, 10 minutes, if I can do it anybody can...shudder to think what my local Peugeot/Fiat dealer would have charged. Peugeot Part number is 616083 or identical (but £12 cheaper) Fiat Part number is 1332811080.

Below is a photo of the sensor:

1280126792_SpeedoSensor.jpg.8aaed9ced21b4f65f4c6cc530f91494c.jpg

• 3 years later...

My Speedo packed in on my CI 2003 Fiat Ducato, I found the following on eBay for 18 Quid.

FIAT DUCATO SCUDO AND ULYSSE 1332811080 PETROL & DIESEL SPEED SPEEDO SENSOR SS3

Fitted In 20 Mins and saved a fortune from the rip off dealers. The guy who sells the parts (ebay user rtgroup11) buys them direct from the factory which supplies the dealers.

Thanks

Richard

Archived