Filling LPG in Europe

potus4388

I have fitted a Gasit refillable bottle and have successfully filled it at my local Sainsburys

I have the various adaptors for Europe, however, what I don't know is once you fit the adaptors, what happens next, i.e.do I then operate the system in the same manner as in the UK?

I am sure there are many members who have experience of refilling their bottles in France, Germany and Belgium etc. and I would really appreciate your advice, I have, in the past, travelled in Europe with Calor bottles so have no experience of filling up with LPG. Trying to ensure I know what I am doing before I travel! Many thanks.

Once you add the adaptor to your connection point you then connect the gun in much the same way. There are differences but nothing that isnt clear once you have the gun in your hand. Try fitting the adaptors to your valve before you go and the you should be able to work out how the gun will fit. Enjoy your travels.

It's probably easier using the continental adaptors as you don't have to faff around lining up the nozzle. For UK you need to line up the bayonet nozzle with the lugs in the valve assembly then turn the outer bit of the nozzle through a quarter turn.

When fitting the continental adaptor first check it has a rubber O-ring at the base and it's in good condition. Screw the adaptor on reasonably firmly just sufficient to compress the rubber O-ring slightly. The nozzle can then be inserted at any convenient angle (obviously at right-angles to the valve) and the trigger depressed until it clicks into the locked position. Sometimes I've found it difficult to achieve the latching point and had to resort to giving the little red locking tab a bit of manual intervention. From there on, it's the same as the UK.

I always compare the profile of the nozzle with the shape of the adaptor I'm about to use, just to make sure I've got the correct one.

Finally, best to use heavy duty gloves to avoid cold burns, especially when releasing the nozzle. Some users use gauntlet gloves to protect the forearm.

Information on ‘autogas’ adapters can be found here

https://www.mylpg.eu/adapters/

In the UK the bayonet connector is the norm, but there two types of pump ’nozzle’ as these YouTube videos show:

This is also the case abroad - as mentioned in this 2010 forum discussion, there’s more than one nozzle type

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Hints-and-Tips/Onboard-LPG-in-France/20596/

but the refilling procedure is similar to that used in the UK.

This YouTube video describes how to use the type of ‘claw gun’ common in France

I had one occasion where, in Spain, my adapter would not allow me to refill at a Shell station. The attendant had several adapters, and was more than helpful with the filling. You shouldn't have any problems wherever you go, and don't be afraid to ask.

As an aside, recently in France, on two occasions, the gas refill was closed for the lunch time period, where as the petrol station was open, and no explanation given.

Enjoy your travels!

My experience in France is that GPL (autogas) pumps are usually (always?) located in a part of a service-station that is not designated for 24/7 usage. So,when there’s no attendant looking after the non-24/7 area of the service-station (eg. during lunch hours or outside the working day) GPL won’t be available.

Derek Uzzell - 2019-08-03 9:08 AM

My experience in France is that GPL (autogas) pumps are usually (always?) located in a part of a service-station that is not designated for 24/7 usage. So,when there’s no attendant looking after the non-24/7 area of the service-station (eg. during lunch hours or outside the working day) GPL won’t be available.

Ah, thanks Derek, that explains it!

pottypam - 2019-08-03 2:56 PM

If you are going to Italy, please be aware that filling cylinders is not allowed.

Since when ???

I was in Italy a few years ago and didn't have a problem. OK...got refused at one garage

• 5 months later...

I was using Google Translate to browse sections of theI Italian forum Camper Online, when I came across the following post. I am not planning to visit Italy, but anyone who is and has an LPG tank fitted should take note.

Alan

"Posted 02/01/2020 at: 10:21:54

I apologize for the delay but the system did not want to recognize me.

I would like to remind you that since last year the supply of LPG for the internal services of motorhomes has been prohibited unless provided for on the registration certificate. The operators of the system and the seizure of the vehicle with all that follows it risk very high fines.

Refusal to refuel has been expanding all over Italy lately. We have discussed several times the procedure for transcribing the registration certificate.

John "

One other point to remember is that to fill your tank you need to press and hold the (usually) green button.

Once in my haste (in boiling hot weather) I mistakenly pressed the red alarm button 8o|

This had the effect of cutting power to not just the GPL pump but also all the other forecourt fuel pumps.. DOH!

The owner's daughter, who was on shift duty at the time, just about accepted my

je suis vraiment désolé Telling me something like "Bugger off and don't come back! " as she struggled to reset all the pumps.

Fortunately the owner has now retired and sold the filling station (On the D949, near Luçon, France) to a national brand so I can now use the GPL pump (correctly) again on my way to La Rochelle.

Moral of the story, the easy part is attaching the nozzle :-D

Matrix Meanderer - 2020-01-05 5:15 PM

One other point to remember is that to fill your tank you need to press and hold the (usually) green button.

Once in my haste (in boiling hot weather) I mistakenly pressed the red alarm button 8o|

This had the effect of cutting power to not just the GPL pump but also all the other forecourt fuel pumps.. DOH! ...

I once did the same at the Super-U supermarket at Doué-la-Fontaine in France.

It did not go down well with the service-station attendant, but (if I remember correctly) the delivery and emergency buttons were both black and the pump had no labelling to distinguish between them.

Derek Uzzell - 2020-01-06 9:19 AM

Matrix Meanderer - 2020-01-05 5:15 PM

This had the effect of cutting power to not just the GPL pump but also all the other forecourt fuel pumps.. DOH! ...

I once did the same at the Super-U supermarket at Doué-la-Fontaine in France.

It did not go down well with the service-station attendant, but (if I remember correctly) the delivery and emergency buttons were both black and the pump had no labelling to distinguish between them.

Same here, at a BP station in Braganca. First it turned out that I shouldn't have pressed any button as it was attended service and then it took them fully 15 minutes to reset, walking back and forth between the shop and a service building with bunches of keys while other people waited at the fuel pumps for their cars to be filled.

I was only topping up 'just in case' and eventually my bill was 6 Euros..

P & E Jennings - 2020-01-09 10:06 AM

Am I understanding this reply correctly. Filling a refillable LPG tank or Gaslow bottles for the purpose of cooking or heating is a definite NO, NO, in Italy, because what one mainland European country does, is soon followed by the rest!

I wouldn't worry, each country sets it's laws independantly. The only commanality is where it impacts trade competition within the EU block or it's recognised that there there is a universal consumer safety issue.

For several years there have warnings on UK motorhome forums that refilling LPG tanks can be problematical in Italy. (Various examples here)

https://tinyurl.com/rkurlmr

Some while back there was pressure in France for banning refilling of a vehicle's LPG reservoir unless the LPG was to be used to fuel the vehicle’s motor. I think this was a reaction to a motohome-related fire at a service-station, but the suggested ban was never implemented.

I just returned from Spain where on the way back to the ferry port in Bilbao, I tried umpteen fuel stations after running out of gas on both bottles. I eventually found a Petronor (Repsol brand) but no amount of juggling or re-setting could get the gas to flow. I appealed for assistance and a pump jockey tried to assist and eventually stomped off to the office. His return simply elicited the response that refuelling s tank was not allowed. I found a similar station closer to San Sebastian and carefully screened my activity to attempt again to refill. Same response from the pump - no matter what i did, no flow. Any ideas on why not?

Lost food in the fridge as a result and had some bracing mornings with every campsite in the region closed, so no hook-up. First stop in Portsmouth to re-fill at listed Calor - elf and safety says no, but a local Esso garage (ex Jet in Green Rd) provided blessed relief.

There area few on-line comments about being unable to get LPG to flow into a motorhome’s user-refillable bottles at Spanish service stations. (2013 example here)

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Autogas-tank-refilling/31861/

A couple of possibilties

1: It had something to do with the adapter being used. (If it was the ‘Euro Nozzle’ type, these can include a non-return valve or not - so that MIGHT be a factor.)

2: It had something to do with both your gas-bottles being empty.

As you were able to refill OK when you got back to the UK I favour the adapter hypothesis, but I don’t much like it. ;-)

Archived