First Municipal Aire

david lloyd

With the support given to Dawn Rogers for her application to have an aire de service in Pembrokeshire there seems to be a renewed interest in the establishment of aires in this country. Following the advice given by MMM's Graham Hambly to go out and do something if we wish to see such facilities in this country, I too have been in consultation with my local authority - Redcar and Cleveland - to get them to develop a municipal aire in Guisborough. I first wrote to the Chief Executive in January 2005. After receiving an initial brush off from him I wrote again and had meetings with my local councillors, MP, Guisborough Market town Initiatve and (eventually) the council staff specifically involved in developing tourism in this part of the world. It has been slow and frustrating at times but everyone involved so far has been totally supportive once the idea and potential benefits have been explained. I found that there was a great deal of misunderstanding about what a motorhome was and even what facilities they have on board. These and other issues had to be overcome by showing them my own van and detailing just how simple facilities at an aire could be. In fairness to the council, there are points that do have to be addressed (quite apart from their pre-occupation with 'travellers') including the changing of parking orders and justifying the spending of public money on such a facility. This, necessarily, involves quite a few of the council departments and getting them together has been the biggest hurdle of all. However, we are now at the stage where the Cabinet Member for Culture and Tourism has convened a committee to ensure the idea is progressed and implemented. For anyone who would like the opportunity to stay overnight in this lovely ancient market town and see more of the local area could I also please ask you to support my efforts by e-mailing the Cabinet Member for Culture and Tourism at: david_fitzpatrick@redcar-cleveland.gov.uk and express your support for the development of overnight parking and aire de service in Guisborough. A simple, short e-mail mentioning my name and that, as a motorhome user, it would be a facility that would attract you to visit the town and area would suffice. I am convinced that once one of these developments is established (and used) it will make it so much easier for others to follow suit. Even within Redcar and Cleveland authority they will consider other places such as the coastal area but it does need the support of the motorhoming fraternity - and that also includes the editors of publications like MMM and Which Motorcaravan who could also e-mail Councillor Fitzpatrick to lend their support - and it would help considerably if motorhome users were to indicate now, at the planning stage, that there is such widespread interest because one of the past problems has been convincing such authorities that the facilities are actually wanted and will be used. Thank you, in advance, to anyone who takes the time to support the initiative. Best regards, David

Guest starspirit
Hi David, I have written a long email to Herr Fitzpatrick in support of the Aire at Guisborough and I hope that many others will also write leading to many more Aires. Your dedication to the cause is wonderful to behold and on behalf of the victims of rip off Britain branch of the freedom loving motor caravanners of the UK I thank you warmly and I wish you every success. Come on people give this man and this idea some support. Don't leave it to the silent minority. Richard

Just as an update, I have today spoken to the Tourism Officer for Redcar and Cleveland Council to find out where we are currently at with the proposal to establish an aire de services in Guisborough. At a recent meeting between the relevent departments the parking department has again voiced its' concerns that the proposed site has a parking order which currently prevents overnight sleeping in vehicles and seems to be resisting the proposal from progressing on that basis. As I have said before, they do have a legitimate concern that to remove this restriction could invite 'travellers' to take up residence. I believe, firstly, that any new parking order allowing motorhomes to use the area could also exclude other vehicles (such as caravans) and secondly, it could also determine the length of time a vehicle can park there (say 24 or 48 hours). In this way the legal position of the council can be protected and I feel it is just this department throwing obstacles in the way. The outcome of this meeting will be sent in the next few days to the Cabinet Member for Culture and Tourism (Councillor David Fitzpatrick) who does fully support the proposal and has the power to overturn any recommendations made by the officers of the authority. With this in mind could I, once again, urge those of you who have not yet done so to e-mail your support for the establishment of daytime parking and an overnight aire for motorhomes in Guisborough to: david_fitzpatrick@redcar-cleveland.gov.uk This may be the last opportunity for any of us to influence this particular issue (at least in this area) and, since it does have the support of the elected officials and the other departments of the council concerned, it is a golden opportunity to get the elected officials to overrule the bureaucracy and red tape of the parking department. Thank you in advance for taking the time to help. Regards, david

• 1 month later...
Hi everyone I have just spoken to Councillor Dave Fitzpatrick, Cabinet Member for Culture and Tourism at Redcar and Cleveland Council, who advised that he has recieved over 70 e-mails from motorhome users across the country indicating the level of support for such facilities. Unfortunately, he is unable to respond to each one individually but would like everyone to know that he fully supports the proposal for a municipal aire and, although there are no funds identified in this years budget, the council will be progressing it. He also wants to identify several other suitable sites around the county, including the coastal areas. From the very early days I realised that this would be a long process but have to say that this is the most positive news to emerge yet. There is still some way to go but I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who took part, by e-mailing Councillor Fitzpatrick, for your support. It has certainly had a huge influence on the way that the elected representatives and council officers see the benefits to be had by providing motorhome stopover facilities. It seems unlikely however, that anything physical will materialise now until next year when funds may be identified. In the meantime, to ensure that the impetus is not lost, there would be no harm in anyone (who has not already done so) expressing their interest to Councillor Fitzpatrick using the e-mail address in the above post. I will, of course, keep you all informed of any such progress. Once again, many thanks for your help, best regards, david

Whilst in correspondence with the Car Parking Manager at Truro & Falmouth (Cornwall), I asked what proposals they had to provide 'Aire de Camping Cars' style facilities. Answer - none, they consider it the job of Caravan / Camping Parks to provide overnight facilities. Fair enough, I guess, so long as there is adequate day parking within the town car parks and P&R, or suitable public transport from caravan sites - not always the case down here, as many are very much 'off the beaten track'......(see under posting for Motorhome Parking also) ,

[QUOTE]enrico - 2006-08-18 4:28 PM David Tremendous achievement,well done.In light of your correspondence re.the MCC can they also send an email to David Fitzpatrick to add even more weight to your project.Just a thought. Thanks again. :-D :-D :-D[/QUOTE] Hi enrico Thanks for the encouraging words... I have now joined the MCC and Vic Lancaster has put me in touch with the appropriate person at the Yorkshire group who now has the DVD presentation - so hopefully, we can exchange notes and he will also take up the issue with regard to widening the proposal to more sites in and around the Redcar and Cleveland area. Best regards, david

• 9 months later...
Thought I would just update everyone on progress (or lack of it) on my attempt to get Redcar and Cleveland to establish an overnight aire in Guisborough - and possibly other locations in the area. We were making some good progress but the recent council elections brought that to a halt as elected members' attentions were diverted elsewhere. The net result is there have been some changes that affect the proposal, mainly that the 'lead' person - Councillor Dave Fitzpatrick - is no longer the Cabinet Member for Culture Leisure and Tourism although he was re-elected to the council. The new Cabinet member responsible is Councillor Sheelagh Clarke and I have today sent a letter to ask her to take over the lead and see if the matter can now be progressed to (hopefully) a satisfactory conclusion. I will, of course, post news as and when I get any but, in the meantime, for those who still feel that such a facility would be a good idea and would love to visit this ancient town it would do no harm if you let Councillor Clarke know your views. The e-mail address is: sheelagh_clarke@redcar-cleveland.gov.uk Best regards, David

thank you david for all your hard work. iam vice chair of a local neighbourhood forum, and know from experience that dealing with the council, is like jogging through deep treacle, i have mentioned aires many times but never get took seriously, i belive in a city like birmingham that they would be a great asset. perhaps once yours is set up i can point them in the right direction. many thanks pete

David, E-mailed her a few minutes ago expressing strong support. Also mentioned that I have just cancelled a planned visit to Skegness next week because that council was reported in this month's "Camping and Caravanning" to have fined a motorhomer who had bought 2 tickets to cover the 1.5 bays his van occupied whilst shopping in the town for an hour. (I'm writing to Skegness's director of tourism or whatever to tell him/her too when I track down the correct person.) I visited Skegness by light aircraft last year, landing just next to the sea front on a holiday park's private airstrip. My friend and I stayed in an up market hotel, used loads of taxis and visited shops and restaurants. All contributions to the local economy. Perhaps Skegness' Council don't need tourists like me and lots of other motorhomers, preferring the day trip car visitors who bring a huge picnic and their own drinks and just buy a few quids' worth of ice cream? Well done David for your efforts. Bob

My message regarding Aires de Services Dear Madam, Ms Sheila Clarke Regarding the above subject I would like to add my name to the proposition regarding Aires de Services in the UK. You may know they are widely available on the continent and as we are now part of the EU it would be a wonderful gesture to continental motorhome personnel that the UK is moving along similar lines. The type of person likely to use these facilities are of all ages and have a common sense approach to the surrounding countryside and its people. It would be a great asset for the motorhome user particularly in towns which, in general are almost impossible to negotiate with a larger vehicle. Car parks are mostly non usueable due to small areas of division. A reply is not required for I'm sure you will have many requests on this subject. Her reply arrived as follows Thank you for your email. I will be speaking to the senior Cultural Officer regarding this matter next week and then meeting with David Lloyd to discuss it. It seems a very good idea and I hope that the authority can do something to progress it. Kind Regards Sheelagh Clarke

Bob, Re Skegness, there are actually two car parks on the seafront, one at either end of the town, which have dedicated motorhome spaces. As you will know (but others may not) Skegness gets exceedingly busy during the summer especially at weekends and traffic clogs up something rotten. I can see why they don't want the main car park full of motorhomes. David, Great news, I will email today. Guisborough is a lovely place, I have spent many happy hours in Guisborough Woods.

Hi Dave, I've had an acknowledgement of my e-mail: "Dear John I intend to discuss this with the relevant officer this week to see what, if any, progress has been made. I will be getting back to people in due course. Regards Sheelagh"

[QUOTE]Rowan Lee - 2007-06-09 7:06 PM Bob, Re Skegness, there are actually two car parks on the seafront, one at either end of the town, which have dedicated motorhome spaces. As you will know (but others may not) Skegness gets exceedingly busy during the summer especially at weekends and traffic clogs up something rotten. I can see why they don't want the main car park full of motorhomes. David, Great news, I will email today. Guisborough is a lovely place, I have spent many happy hours in Guisborough Woods. [/QUOTE] Thanks for the info. Bob

Archived