First Time Motorhome Buyer In Need of Help / Advice - Damp Issues

Paul.S

Hi All,

My first post (actually its my second but didn't get any responses to my first so thought I might have better luck if I change the Subject Title).

I am considering buying my first motorhome. Obviously the time isn't great because of Covid and the time of year; I understand that everything comes at a premium in these conditions.

My budget is not great either, looking at £17k so I guess something circa 17 to 20 years old. I have been told about nightmare damp issues on older models. I guess ideally I would like a Hymer or Pilote (A class style), 4 seat belts and maximum 6.2m long, preferably less than 50k miles. Am I hoping for too much with my budget. I have been told these models are less prone to damp issues than some other older models because they do not have timber in the frames. Is this correct? Are there any other models I should be considering which are equally damp resilient.

How important is a documented full service history. I have contacted a few sellers who say they have had it serviced by a friend at their local garage but no paperwork to ratify that.

I would be grateful for your thoughts.

kind regards

Paul

I’d not place to much weight on service history. A service history simply tells you that the vehicle has been serviced, not how well it’s been serviced – I’ve seen a few horror stories in my time. The one exception to that I'd add is that a regular cam belt change if applicable is essential - usually every 5 years on the Fiat base, so that's something to definitely be worth looking for evidence of.Under 50,000 miles for a 17 year old vehicle is under 3,000 miles a year which is rather low. I’d much prefer something with a higher mileage and has therefore unlikely to have been parked up degrading for most of the year. Bear in mind that the base vehicle is a commercial vehicle engineered for high mileage use so something with 80,000 miles on the clock is still ‘young’ . Re your budget, a well spec’ed A Class at 17 years in good condition would I suspect cost about £22-24K. A 20 year old A Class maybe £18-19K. The make, model and layout would naturally have a bearing on price. Re damp, I suspect that it’s difficult to generalise. My 2003 German A Class has never had a damp issue but then that’s just anecdotal. Better I think to identify a specific potential vehicle and then research any known issue about it. Also, if you’re buying an older vehicle I suggest you also budget to spend additional monies on it for repairs/upgrading. I put aside an additional £2k. I only used about three quarters of it over the first couple of years. Others will have alternative views of course.

Hi Paul and welcome,

I did see your first post but have no experience of Hymer or Pilote so did not reply but seen as you've asked again I'll give my opinion (for what it's worth).

At 15 to 17 years old I would think how a MH has been cared for and repaired if necessary will have far more bearing than original construction methods. eg you may find a Hymer with significant leaks and damp has that been subject to poor repairs and a similar age timber framed MH in very good condition because it has been looked after and repaired if any leaks have been found.

As for service history again it's down to what and when has been performed more than by whom. We bought our AutoTrail at exactly four years old and previous services where by an MB dealer then the MH dealer we bought from. The last dealer service, and MOT, left a LOT to be desired! Since then I have performed every service and other maintenance tasks myself and kept detailed records and receipts of all parts purchased. I would value this higher then a dealer rubber stamp in a book!

So in summary, start looking at MH's and inspect very closely and if necessary get a detailed inspection from the likes of the MCEA...

https://www.mobilecaravanengineers.co.uk/

Keith.

You could look at getting yourself a damp meter to use when inspecting any potential purchase. Not a cast iron test but if you find damp in a particular area would be indicative of a problem. If you don't find any, doesn't mean there never has been but at least hopefully fixed.

Conrad - 2020-08-12 6:54 PM

You could look at getting yourself a damp meter to use when inspecting any potential purchase. Not a cast iron test but if you find damp in a particular area would be indicative of a problem. If you don't find any, doesn't mean there never has been but at least hopefully fixed.

I agree, but do be aware that in long dry spells or if the van has been kept under cover it might not show as damp, and in colder wet weather surface condensation may show a dry van as being damp.

We have experienced both of these extremes and you should also rely on a good close visual inspection in addition to a damp meter to spot deformed surfaces, peeling wall or floor coverings, delamination, water stain marks or suspicious patches of mould - usually black.

And if anyone tells you they are historic stains look for evidence of resealing and repair and ask to see an invoice for what was actualy done and any warranty thereof.

Two days with a dehumidifier can dry out a wet van very nicely!

Paul.S - 2020-08-12 1:11 PM

Hi All,

My first post (actually its my second but didn't get any responses to my first so thought I might have better luck if I change the Subject Title).

As you’ve copied your earlier post into this one, to avoid potential future duplication I’ve deleted your original posting.

I’m unconvinced that COVID-19 will cause a rise in the prices of motorhomes in the price-range you’ve specified. COVID-19 has tended to affect older people and some of these will have been motorhome owners. It’s commonplace for elderly couples to not share the driving of a motorhome, so if the driver (usually a man) dies, the motorhome will very likely be sold. Even if a motorhome is driven by both members of a couple, the death of one may well result in the other deciding not to continue motorcaravanning. And then there’s the impact of the unemployment that COVID-19 has produced in the UK.

I believe there will currently be a significant number of people keen to (or who are financially forced to) sell their motorhome and that bargains can be obtained as a consequence if buying privately. Motorhome traders won’t be paying over the odds and an owner who wants to dispose rapidly of a motorhome is likely to get a shock by what a trader is prepared to offer for an older vehicle.

Regarding ‘no wood construction’ in 17 to 20 years old motorhomes, Hymer is probably your best bet

https://www.hymer.com/uk/en/models/technology-innovation/pual

but that won’t make the motorhome immune to damp. (See ‘coppo’s’ 22 December 2018 11:04 AM posting here)

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Under-Floor-Timber-Protection-/50918/

In (say) 2005, manufacturers of ‘coachbuilt’ motothomes normally built on a wood skeleton and this definitely included the Pilote Group. Even in the rare cases where a motorhome’s bodywork was made of GRP (Glass Reinforced Plastic) the floor was normally plywood and vulnerable to rot.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Rotten-wood-underneath-MH/40901/

As a ‘rule of thumb’ I’d suggest a well-maintained German-built motorhome (Burstner, Dethleffs, Eura-mobil, Frankia, Hymer, Hobby, Knaus, etc.) that’s 20-years-old may well have survived better damp-wise. (Or a GRP-bodied Auto-Sleepers model - but check the floor for rot.)

It’s unlikely - unless a vendor has owned it from new - that a 17 to 20 years old motorhome will have a ‘dealership’ full service record. The prudent thing for a buyer to to do initially would be to check the vehicle’s MOT history as that can be VERY educational...

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

Thanks all. Some really helpful information. Thanks for correcting me re the Pilote wooden frame.

I read the Hymer construction brochure via the link posted and the claim that it keeps the vehicle cool in hot weather. Must say I was really surprised when I took a look around a Hymer during the recent searing heat. It was so cool inside I asked the owner if the air con was on. It wasn't; he had just left a few wiindows open. Is a cool interior a feature of most MHs or is down to the structure of the Hymer?

So there are no guarantees regarding damp no matter which vehicle I end up with. Thats worrying, but also good to know. Given my very limited knowledge about motorhomes I think I will take your advice and get a professional inspection undertaken.

Thanks again.

Paul

Paul.S - 2020-08-13 5:10 PM

...I read the Hymer construction brochure via the link posted and the claim that it keeps the vehicle cool in hot weather... l

Hymer’s current brochure says

As early as 1978, HYMER set new standards with the development of its innovative PUAL design. The excellent insulation provided by the closed-cell PU foam guarantees a comfortable temperature in summer and cosy warmth during the colder months.

Hymer’s PUAL system is probably as good as one can get with a motorhome insulation-wise. But it’s not miraculous and a grey-coloured Hymer standing in the sun should be expected to heat up more than another manufacturer’s white-coloured motorhome that uses less technically sophisticated insulation. It’s also worth noting that, even with the latest PUAL 2 system, the statement "100% wood-free (no wooden framework in the side walls)” implies that the construction uses wood elsewhere. Until fairly recently Hymer has (like many other motorhome builders) roofed their motorhomes with an aluminium skin, which is potentially vulnerable to hail-damage. The pros and cons of roof materials were discussed in 2013 here

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Roof-materials/33478/

with the photo in the penultimate posting showing the extent of the damage that can be produced.

hymer.png.54bd450949ef3b6ddca7ea13fa389e4c.png

Archived